Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Formula
Formula 353 with cracking engine bay liner and excessive stress cracks on bottom >

Formula 353 with cracking engine bay liner and excessive stress cracks on bottom

Notices
Formula

Formula 353 with cracking engine bay liner and excessive stress cracks on bottom

Old 04-12-2016, 06:27 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jwurl
I don't know if this matters but the formula brochure says the liner/ grid system is suspended in hull. It does not say it is attached. Suspended ,what ever that means ????? Jeff Wurl
That would be a neat trick.
Old 04-12-2016, 06:57 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Originally Posted by Wally
That's assuming the liner was designed properly from the getgo......looking at some of the gaps in Johns boat (like in post 65 at the bottom) it looks like the liner doesn't follow the contours of the bots hull very good......its possible they may have made changes to the hulls bottom and I'm guessing some engineer thought there wasn't enough of a change to warrant a design change in the liner???...figuring the plexus would just fill the gaps (that's assuming they used enough of it from the start....
Only other way i can see the liner being installed with such big gaps under some areas was if the liner was twisted/tweaked coming out of the molds before installation into the hull. I wonder if Formula installs the liner into the hull when its still in the mold.....I've taken the factory tour many years back and dont remember.....but if they made the plug for the liner/grid system while the hull was still in the mold but are installing them after pulling the hull out of the molds then that could possibly explain a few things on why they are not sitting right! I know a few builders that don't remove the hulls from the molds until the stringers are installed to keep the hull as "straight" as possibly while everything cures in place...
Wally I believe that had they filled the entire void with Plexus this would never have happened. The issue with the cracking at the stringer IMO is due to the motor mount being forced into the radius of the stringer. I will be cutting it a little bit higher so that it no longer is forced into the corner. This severely weekend that area. I can't speak for the fitment as I have no idea what they intended. There are certainly inconsistencies with the spacing between the hull and the stringers but I think that is probably totally normal and that does not really bother me at all.

What would be interesting would de to know how the construction team knows that they have the Plexus filler out far enough. Do they some how monitor it or do they use camera's, or did some one calculate out that they should put in a gallon of Plexus (as an example) and they put in the gallon and that is it? If the later and there is even slightly more space then they think then you get my result.
Old 04-12-2016, 07:01 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Originally Posted by jwurl
I don't know if this matters but the formula brochure says the liner/ grid system is suspended in hull. It does not say it is attached. Suspended ,what ever that means ????? Jeff Wurl
Sorry about the joke earlier. Yes they have a floating grid system on some of their boats. The Fasttec is not one of them as far as I know but maybe GlassDave can chime in on that. The wooden stringer boats they would keep the stringers off the bottom of the boat so that you did not have issues with the stringers showing in the hull as everything cures over time. This video shows it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIKsJ7d9WhQ
Old 04-13-2016, 07:18 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

These are some video's that I found with installation of Pexus onto the stringers, Look at how these manufacturers put the plexus on before the hull goes together. No holes are drilled it seems. The bottom line in these photographs you can see that in the construction of this boat they fill all the way under the grid structure!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_rD5aywd8g
Old 04-13-2016, 09:06 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 908 Likes on 456 Posts

John, i called them over at Plexus for my own curiosity. The guys response was that he felt for this type of application the MA590 would be the best choice but when i asked him about gap fill he said 1.5" should be max without boiling......he said that there's a chance you can go as big as 2" gap with out boiling but that was a risk only I could decide to take.....

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 04-13-2016, 11:09 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Thanks Wally. I had talked to them about that as well. The VAST majority of my grid to hull space is around 1/2"-less then 1". There is just that one location that had the larger space (near the lifting strake). The 590 should have the lower exothermic reaction then other options.
Old 04-14-2016, 11:55 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Had some package arrive today. Wish I did not have to move my office this weekend or I would be all over this thing this weekend. I hope to at least get some tests to try out different bonding's to see how clean the boat has to be for a good bond.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]554158[/ATTACH]

This is the special gun I will be using to mix and inject the Plexus. Being that I am so close to the factory they were nice enough to let me use this for the repair. With the long work time they said that there are a number of different ways to mix the product and apply it. This way seems like the easiest. Other options were just mixing it up and spreading it in with a blade or mix it up and use a cake bag.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]554159[/ATTACH]

Box of goodies! This again shows the model number of the product I will be testing/using.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]554160[/ATTACH]

This stuff is NOT cheap! I will put up some links that I think are reputable dealers. If you buy this stuff you NEED to make sure you are getting it from a place that rotates is stock regularly as it has a fairly short shelf life. You also need to find out if they can break out stock or if they are going to make you buy an entire box. I am not sure if CW Hayden will break out boxes but as you can see they are a lot cheaper then RS Hughes.

http://www.cwhaydenonline.com/ma590-...ylate-adhesive

http://www.rshughes.com/p/Plexus-MA5.../plexus_59000/

Jamestown Distributers also sells it as well as Composites One. I am sure there are a lot of others out there but again make sure you are getting fresh stuff not old. It is critical!
Attached Thumbnails Formula 353 with cracking engine bay liner and excessive stress cracks on bottom-20-plexus.jpg   Formula 353 with cracking engine bay liner and excessive stress cracks on bottom-21-plexus-gun.jpg   Formula 353 with cracking engine bay liner and excessive stress cracks on bottom-22-plexus-glue.jpg  

Last edited by Audiofn; 04-14-2016 at 11:57 PM.
Old 04-20-2016, 12:03 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Audiofn
These are some video's that I found with installation of Pexus onto the stringers, Look at how these manufacturers put the plexus on before the hull goes together. No holes are drilled it seems. The bottom line in these photographs you can see that in the construction of this boat they fill all the way under the grid structure!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_rD5aywd8g
After watching that video i can see where the problem is..its i the prep, they did not even bother to wipe the resin with acetone to get rid of the wax..that rite there would make it separate..
Old 04-20-2016, 07:30 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Originally Posted by FIXX
After watching that video i can see where the problem is..its i the prep, they did not even bother to wipe the resin with acetone to get rid of the wax..that rite there would make it separate..
Not all resin has wax. When building a boat only the last coat would use the wax. The wax holds in the hardeners so you can a better cure. The wax in production facilities can be sprayed on after the fact. All that resin is virgin so this should not have been an issue. The problem at least with my boat is that there was NO plexus under the edges of the stringers. So it was not a bond issue it was a lack of material one.
Old 04-25-2016, 08:14 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Jon ..... did you happen to stumble upon the Transducer for the depth finder ? Post #3 looks like a wire near one the switches for the pumps? ......great job ..... I'm skerred to look !!!! ......m

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.