Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Formula (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/formula-36/)
-   -   353 Cabin sink drain into Bilge (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/formula/338026-353-cabin-sink-drain-into-bilge.html)

Back4More 06-06-2016 12:09 PM

353 Cabin sink drain into Bilge

Ok so Im not too pleased with the cabin sink drain dumping into the bilge. I dont need pop, beer, or gatorades going in there.
Anyone pop a hole through the side? Do I need to watch out for any hull liner or other structural shlt?

pasquesi 06-06-2016 12:14 PM

Is the bottom of the sink at least 6" above the waterline?

masi242 06-06-2016 12:20 PM

On my 242 it drains out the side of the boat I know it's like comparing apples to oranges. I would think it would drain into the holding tank or direct to the out side.

08 fastech 292 06-06-2016 12:53 PM

My 292 does the same thing.

VoodooRob 06-06-2016 12:58 PM

On our 05 353 the drain for sink went into the bilge, that's just not cool when a relative pours red Kool Aid into the sink and ends up in your white bilge. I looked into modifying it and was going to install a "shower box" and dump out the stern under the platform like the rest of the factory hook ups. I remember there being some sort of issue with height of the sink relative to the water line also. I called Formula parts dept and talked to them and they said the factory did not want any un-sightly holes in the sides of the boat so that is the reason for all the discharge points under the swim platform, for what its worth.

Splitdecision271 06-06-2016 03:10 PM

I think your best option is going to be as Voodoo recommended. Install a shower box with a float switch and tie it in to an existing or drill a new thru hull. At least this one will be above the water line.

This is the main reason why I still have a water tank full of antifreeze from 5 years ago and why I don't invite people out on my boat.

Questofpower 06-06-2016 06:43 PM

I have read you are not suppose to put holes in sides of the hull on the fastech's. However, I have a 353 with factory air that has a water discharge hole about 12"-18" above the water line on the forward starboard side about two feet forward towards the bow were the u-shape sitting area and the v-berth meet. The funny part is the drain pan for the AC has a normal bilge pump that discharges to a diaphragm pump out the aft or below the swim platform. Just a weird set-up.

The sink draining to bilge upsets me too, I was just going to put it in series with my diaphragm pump with a check valve. Just haven't got to it yet.

FormulaForFun 07-08-2016 09:44 AM

I added a through hull fitting for my 353 sink drain. No issues.

Captain YARRR 07-08-2016 10:37 AM

I think I'd do the "HEY LISTEN BASTARDS" mod before drilling in to the sides of my boat.

Audiofn 07-09-2016 09:04 AM

Good to know. Formula for Fun you got a picture of the location you went out the side and what it looks like?