Notices
Formula

Ideas for cooling down 292 engine compartment

Old 08-10-2016, 07:44 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

Wow !

Speaking of which, I just looked this up, the 565EFi uses the same flame arrestors....but of course 2 of them per motor.

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/bam/s...1361/15970/100
Old 08-10-2016, 12:44 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the throat on this FA is 3.75, the TB is 3.5. I will simply take one of the silicone couplings from the 4" tubing connector, cut it down to about 0.75", take a few mm out of the diameter and it should work well. I did get a note back from Michigan Wire(who bought Barbron), and they said that COOPS FA is actually a Volvo design. So...for me to get one made, I would have to get their permission. I think that the one SB recommended and I eventually picked is the best decision. Glad I bought these, and hope to get them on this weekend. BTW, Volvo 5.7l engines use a FA that is clamped on(per schematics)...so, I am not worried about doing this. It is the same TB, and with the silicone gasket to make up the space difference, it should more than stay put.
Old 08-13-2016, 12:20 AM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Latest from Kai. Looking good!

Well, the new FAs are on, and I have the easy side fresh air done(port side has the horn right I the way...fire extinguisher etc.). The new FA fit nice, and now have about 0.5" clearance to the sun deck. The fresh air inlet now comes in, drops and does a 180, and then simply points air to the top of the engine from the side. Not sure if I will add more piping to put the air closer to the intake yet...but at this point, it will be a huge improvement, and unobtrusive. Most likely, I could get the Bimini top shelf back in with a little work too. Tomorrow I will do some testing on the lake and report back.
Attached Thumbnails Ideas for cooling down 292 engine compartment-image.jpg   Ideas for cooling down 292 engine compartment-image.jpg   Ideas for cooling down 292 engine compartment-image.jpg  

Old 08-13-2016, 05:20 PM
Registered

Well, today during a medium speed cruise, temps were does to 115 with the setup in the pictures. I am going to put my gopro camera under the hatch with some strangers on the pipes I added to see what the airflow looks like. I am convinced this is a big improvement. Did one short WOT run, and got to 65 mph full of fuel, two adults and normal load of covers etc. Under deck temps still rise to 150 after you are heat soaked and shut down. Once you're start running, temps go down to the 115. This is as good as leaving the hatch open 4". If this does not help overall performance, I am still glad I started this project. More to come later.
Old 08-14-2016, 07:21 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4mulafastech
Latest from Kai. Looking good!

Well, the new FAs are on, and I have the easy side fresh air done(port side has the horn right I the way...fire extinguisher etc.). The new FA fit nice, and now have about 0.5" clearance to the sun deck. The fresh air inlet now comes in, drops and does a 180, and then simply points air to the top of the engine from the side. Not sure if I will add more piping to put the air closer to the intake yet...but at this point, it will be a huge improvement, and unobtrusive. Most likely, I could get the Bimini top shelf back in with a little work too. Tomorrow I will do some testing on the lake and report back.
Did the FA fit right on the TB or did you have to add a bushing of some sort?
Old 08-14-2016, 08:46 AM
Registered

In the tubing kit I got for the fresh air, there were a number of 4" silicone couplings for the piping. To get it to fit right, I simply cut a 3/4" strip out of one of the couplings and then this acted as the bushing. The material is really pliable, and things then clamped right up. I just left the studs from the FA in place, and with the FA about a 3/16" from sitting on these studs...it fit perfect without having to modify the length of the coupling. Ran probably 2 hours of driving yesterday in some rough....for LC...condition, and the didn't move at all.

I was super happy to see the temps drop when running. With no other method to measure, this 25 deg drop in temp is simply the right direction to go. Effect on overall performance?.....too many variables to be sure.
Old 08-14-2016, 09:06 AM
SB
Registered

Every +10*F in air temp is -1% power.
Old 08-14-2016, 09:45 AM
SB
Registered

2 of these 496 FA's ust showed up for sale on OSO a few minutes ago $45 each: http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...-cleaners.html
Old 08-20-2016, 03:42 PM
Registered

Port side is now done too. A little work to move the horn and work around the extinguisher, it it turned out ok, and will do the exact same thing as the starboard side. [ATTACH=CONFIG]558503[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]558504[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Ideas for cooling down 292 engine compartment-image.jpg   Ideas for cooling down 292 engine compartment-image.jpg  
Old 08-20-2016, 04:02 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1,234 Likes on 688 Posts

Nice work!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.