My 357 SR1- Not really a build thread >

My 357 SR1- Not really a build thread

Notices
Formula

My 357 SR1- Not really a build thread

Old 12-09-2016, 09:06 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a 1989 357 kamma boat. Had multiple issues with the kammas and trannys. One thing to always remember, if your tranny breaks, it locks in forward gear. Almost put my boat into a bridge the time it happened to me. Had a rear seal go out on a kamma and destroyed the gears, shafts, bearings, but not the casings. Local shop rebuilt with common parts. I would recommend replacing all the seals as those drives are old and rubber ages. You won't know there is a problem until its too late. I ended up adding standoff boxes with bravos. I had 502's with prochargers, probably putting our about 500-550 hp. Was able to get 70 mph on gps before I tuliped a valve. Ended up selling to a friend an buying a 1997 419 fastec. I agree with DoczDoc, the 357 has classic lines and is a beast in rough water. I do miss the boat, I looked like I was going 100 mph at 60 mph!! I would also recommend 4 blade props if you need to reprop the boat. much smoother, less vibration. When you are propping the boat, you can actually buy different ratio gear sets for these drives. I understand they were designed with just a few sizes of props and you would buy the gear sets (at a much lower cost than the props) to set speed and rpm. There is actually a Kamma prop made for the drives, but they are rare. Gear sets are 1:1, 8% and 13.5% if I remember. You go + or - % by where you put the gears on the input our output shafts. Kamma really thought about a lot of things when they developed the drive. I have also heard they are good to about 800 hp, but the twin disc is the weak link on hp. Not sure how much they can take. Anyway, look forward to following your build and reminiscing about my 357 kamma. Sweet boat!
Old 12-09-2016, 09:09 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DoczDock
Congrats on the boat. The 357 is a great boat! Classic offshore profile/lines. I had a 1989 272 with 454 (330 HP) and Bravo drives. Went right around 62 MPH. Moved up to a 1989 357 with the 420 HP and TRS drives. Still went right around 62 MPH.... didn't gain any speed but what an improvement on the ride! I now have a 1997 382 with 500 HP and Bravo's. Wife still misses the 357. Still like the profile of the 357 better....
Thanks! My brother and I used to drool over these boats up at Lake Winnepasaukee in NH- pumped we own one now. Always loved the lines. Funny that you went from a 272 to a 357 that's exactly what we did. Our 272 with 350's and alphas gets up to about 58. Defintely excited to have the smoother ride from the bigger heavier 357 and hopefully faster with these rooster tails!
Old 12-09-2016, 09:14 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 38fountainecman
I had a 1989 357 kamma boat. Had multiple issues with the kammas and trannys. One thing to always remember, if your tranny breaks, it locks in forward gear. Almost put my boat into a bridge the time it happened to me. Had a rear seal go out on a kamma and destroyed the gears, shafts, bearings, but not the casings. Local shop rebuilt with common parts. I would recommend replacing all the seals as those drives are old and rubber ages. You won't know there is a problem until its too late. I ended up adding standoff boxes with bravos. I had 502's with prochargers, probably putting our about 500-550 hp. Was able to get 70 mph on gps before I tuliped a valve. Ended up selling to a friend an buying a 1997 419 fastec. I agree with DoczDoc, the 357 has classic lines and is a beast in rough water. I do miss the boat, I looked like I was going 100 mph at 60 mph!! I would also recommend 4 blade props if you need to reprop the boat. much smoother, less vibration. When you are propping the boat, you can actually buy different ratio gear sets for these drives. I understand they were designed with just a few sizes of props and you would buy the gear sets (at a much lower cost than the props) to set speed and rpm. There is actually a Kamma prop made for the drives, but they are rare. Gear sets are 1:1, 8% and 13.5% if I remember. You go + or - % by where you put the gears on the input our output shafts. Kamma really thought about a lot of things when they developed the drive. I have also heard they are good to about 800 hp, but the twin disc is the weak link on hp. Not sure how much they can take. Anyway, look forward to following your build and reminiscing about my 357 kamma. Sweet boat!
Thanks! That must have been awesome with procharged 502's! Yeah I figured I'd need to reprop- seems like the 3 blades aren't enough for these motors with what I'm reading. That will be down the line though, it looks like you can spend a ton of money on props especially trying to tune it- I don't want to be buying and trying multiple sets- at least not now.
Old 12-09-2016, 10:35 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Love it !! Deep Purple works great as a Bilge Cleaner and Degreaser.

Go thru and look for anything in the cockpit or cabin that looks marginally fastened or secured. While you have things apart is the best time to give attention to the details.

These boats have great bones...but are notorious for having "Do Dads" shake loose and tear apart during hard use....such as hard Ocean running. Double check screws and fasteners around trim, railing, cleats refrigerators and especially cabin/cockpit doors.

These boats are built to run and take you safely across the water. Time and wear take it's toll but with a bit of work beefing things up you can make your time using that rig more enjoyable.
Old 12-10-2016, 10:02 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=seeyouinajif;4507973]Got the email and realized I hadn't updated this in a while. Boat is at the shop, went over a nice list for the winter with the guy working on it.

As of now motors are out, so here are some pics. Getting a few things redone, mostly making sure it's 100% mechanically right, cosmetic stuff can wait till next winter after we beat it up in the ocean for a season. Redoing the whole engine bay now with new glass (deleting the old exhaust holes), two bilge pumps and new blowers, battteries, refreshing the one old motor, new boots on the kaamas, mkaing sure the kplane pumps are good.

[URL=http://s56.photobucket.com/user/captainsandyvagina/media/C90E8569

I know you have prolly already seen it but bake sure the forward bulkhead by the gas tank is dry. I had to have mine redone in the exact same spot small crack and waer got in there. Good luck with the redo I loved mine!!!!
Old 12-12-2016, 09:57 AM
Registered

Yes I believe that stringer is being redone behind the gas tank, couple small cracks are being fixed as well.

I posted these on facebook but I'll put them here too. Boat is shrink wrapped so he can work on it and motors are out and about to be sent off.

Thanks for following guys
Old 12-12-2016, 10:08 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool! you were able to get the Custom super secrete Formula full enclosure. I hear you can have it on up to 80mph. Looks nice making some progress. Must be giddy; all the steps you can have input to making over this beauty.
Old 01-27-2019, 01:56 PM
Registered

Default not really a build thread

so what is the latest progress?
Old 01-27-2019, 08:41 PM
Registered

Bought a left over 1987 357 with Kaama's and 450's from Inovation Marine. Had the boat for a couple of years and loved it. Loved it so much I bought it back 6 years after I sold it although it had stock 502 mags in it by then and was slower. Bone stock the best I ever got out of it was 69 in Key West in 2'-3's. I have had 4 boats with Kaamas and never had any real issues with them. Strong drives and well designed. A friend of mine had a 10 Meter Fountain with Arnesons and it never ran or handled as well as the boats I ran with Kaamas. Just my 2 cents. Oh and I would figure about 650 HP a side will get you to 80.
Old 01-28-2019, 04:17 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Following