89 242Ls in Mobile AL

Notices
Formula

89 242Ls in Mobile AL

Old 12-17-2016, 02:42 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 89 242Ls in Mobile AL

I figured it would be better to strt a thread for this barge rather than continue in the other thread.

So as it were, I departed Thursday evening around 3:45 after work. Made the 5.5hr trip to Huntsville Al. Enjoyed a few hours with a close friend that lives there and crashed in his spare bedroom.

Friday morning got on the road about 8:00. 2.5 hr drive in 23° weather (stupid cold for this area) was a smooth trip until about 5 miles from the boat got pulled over for doing 77mph. I didnt think much of it. The officer was very nice about it, he asked where I was from. Asked what my hurry was. I told him I was sorry to have caused him to get out in the cold to write me a ticket. He went to his car for a few minutes and came back with a written warning stating I was travelling 77mph in a 45!!! I thought it was a 70mph zone. Stupid of me. However he was nice and let me go with the warning.

Arrive to the boat (still 23° outside) in the shop it lived in. Probably about 50° or so in the shop. He had connected the trickle chargers the night before so we could easily start it. That didn't happen. Batteries were toast. Removed them, went to oriellys and they warranted them since they were only 6 months old. Installed new and found the stereo and depth sounder had been left on. Attempt to start it. Spins over but won't bust off. Fuel smelled horrid. Carburetor was pouring fuel from the accelerator pump on the rear bowl. Removed the carb(less than a year old) went to oriellys got a little edelbrock rebuild kit. Stopped at a local diner and had sime excellent home cooking that he paid for. Returned to shop and I replaced the pumps, gaskets, needle ans seat assemblies, adjusted float levels, put back on. All the while I had an electric fuel pump draining the 50 gallons of ethanol in the tank. By the time the carb was back on the tank was dry. Put 10 gallons of 93 octane non ethanol fuel in it. Fired up. Ran it on the hose for about 10 mins. By this time it was dark. No boat running on unfamiliar waters at night for me.

Decided to snap the cockpit cover down and head home. Ended up giving him $11k for it. Maybe more than I should have but he was very helpful, apologized a dozen times for his son having put cheap fuel in it and puting it up that way. Long story short I gained a friend that day.

An hour into the trip, I see the cover flapping. By the time I pulled over it had come off and was hanging by the rear cleats. A car had run over it riping it to shreds. A little upset I said oh well and continued. Got home about 11:30. Managed to get this 200lb cover on by myself.

This morning I got out there to find I had installed it backwards. Started to fold it up to turn it around and there was hay all in the boat. Apparently he had folded the cover on the ground behind his shop and it trapped the hay in it and whrn I unrolled it on the boat it went everywhere. 3 hours of cleaning later and that cover removed I dove back into the carburetor to give it a look and make it stop leaking at the pump where it was seeping a little.
Old 12-17-2016, 03:25 PM
Registered

Quick video of idle.

https://youtu.be/h6Hl2bqDeaM
Old 12-17-2016, 03:30 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1,231 Likes on 686 Posts

She looks like a nice boat!

Yeah, stupid cold here yesterday. Warmer today. Strange stuff. Glad you got out of that ticket!!

Time to get started tearing into her!
Old 12-17-2016, 03:30 PM
Registered

Had another cover that was clean. It isn't for this oat obviously but actually works when put on backward. Will try for correctly tomorrow

Old 12-17-2016, 03:31 PM
Registered

Replacing all 3 belts as we speak. They look fine but better to have the old for spares I suppose.
Old 12-17-2016, 03:37 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,040 Likes on 1,353 Posts

77 in a 45 and no ticket .....I guess you were so excited to get there and rebuild that carb, drain and put new fuel in it that you missed the 45 zone...lol ....Yep sounds like a boat trip to me..............no flat tires tho
Old 12-17-2016, 04:20 PM
Registered

Well, it was a 70 zone that changed for about a mile and I didn't see it. Lol

Tires did well and still look good after the trip. Trying to convince myself to leave the rollers on the trailer but it's not working too well. I really wanted to take it out today but my damn wife has some Christmas crap I have to go to. If it isn't storming tomorrow maybe I can go run it.

New belts on. The others look new but are now in the side pocket for spares. Might mount a little toolbox in the engine compartment to keep stuff like that in. Oil looks nice.

Also would like to mention. All the bolts I have removed so far are well coated with antisieze. The pulleys, valve covers, intake, exhaust, timing cover, all outdrive parts are powder coated. I plan to replace the carbon steel intake bolts with stainless aswell.

Last edited by Redneckcustoms13; 12-17-2016 at 05:11 PM.
Old 12-17-2016, 05:28 PM
Registered

Let's talk switches. What are you guys replacing the old switches with? I'd really like to make them push button but I could deal with small rockers I suppose.
Old 12-17-2016, 05:47 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 9 Posts

We need pics of the whole boat before we can accurately comment.
Old 12-17-2016, 05:49 PM
Registered

On switches lol?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.