Porpoising - 311

Notices
Formula

Porpoising - 311

Old 06-12-2017, 10:03 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1,234 Likes on 688 Posts

I've read that the 311 has a light rocker (opposite of the hook on the smaller hulls). Maybe the information was wrong, who knows.

My indicators for the trim do not go to 0... they're adjusted so that they're on the hash mark between 0 and 1 (maybe a little closer to 1). She was like the this when I got her.

Ive thought about adding water up front to smooth her out.
Old 06-12-2017, 10:04 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

When you say neutral, is that with the cavitation plates being in parallel with the running surface or with the waterline?
Old 06-12-2017, 10:04 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TomZ
Interesting question...

Is drive trim angle set by the hull's running surface, or by its waterline? And how does the 311's rocker play into this? I'm guessing the porpoising has a bit to do with it.
I had a different drive but my experience was run the drives neutral no pos or neg trim. I used my tabs more than anything when on plane. I would try that n stead of tucking the drives to get rid of a porpoise. I would cruise 40 at 3800.
Old 06-12-2017, 01:34 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's doesn't matter what the number is on your indicators as long as you know where level is. I think you might need a little cup put in your props to carry the bow better. What's happening is it's catching and lifting the bow and falling again. And will just keep going like you're on a trampoline. Are the props Plus or straight Mirage ? Also dropping some tab won't hurt while cruising.
Old 06-12-2017, 02:07 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

They're Mirages. The concensus seems to that the 311 likes the Mirage and not the Mirage Plus. I wish I had a set to try. If I moved to a Mirage Plus, I'm thinking the right one to try would be a 25P. This could be a prop issue... I remember that our Cigarette Bullet porpoised a good deal running these props (they came with the boat). We went to a set of Bravo One 26P's and the boat loves it.

Dropping the tabs doesn't seem to help much, unless I really drop them.

I have everything marked. Again, what's considered level? Cavitation plates level with the running surface, or level with the water line/ running attitude? I'm thinking running surface... if that's the case I'm way off from running her at level (on the indicator).
Old 06-12-2017, 02:40 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

level = propeller thrust in a straight line from running surface i.e. neutral trim

Last edited by beckmwi; 06-12-2017 at 02:42 PM.
Old 06-12-2017, 03:01 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Straight edge on bottom of boat, set your drives till prop shaft is on same plane
Tabs: straight edge on bottom of hull sticking out under tab, measure distance front and rear to make equal. Notice how high tab is mounted on transom back edge make the same.
Don't be afraid to play with the tabs, do the equal/same time a stab at a time and give the boat time to react,
back edge 2" down at cruise is not a lot,
Old 06-12-2017, 03:03 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

That's how I have her set up (I have thin red vinyl tape marking neutral), and I am never able to get even close without porpoise setting in.
Old 06-12-2017, 03:09 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I'll give it a try over her weekend.

Speaking of which... I need to plan some time where it's just me and the boat... no plans to meet anyone or hang out. Seems something's always going on. We've been using her a lot, and it's not even summer (this is a good thing), but I need some one-on-one time with her to explorer her settings and boundaries and such.
Old 06-12-2017, 03:14 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

FYI... Going to cross-post this in the prop forum. I'll keep both threads updated.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.