Looking for some help on a restoration project >

Looking for some help on a restoration project

Notices
Formula

Looking for some help on a restoration project

Old 07-29-2017, 05:28 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is a late 70s to early 80s 302. In 84 or 83 they changed the deck getting ready for the 311. Most likely TRS drives with MerCruiser transmissions, which were not as strong as BW ones. 454 blocks, and you'll need all that umph to move the boat. That hull is a 60mph boat, even with warmed up 454s, at least in fresh water, maybe a little faster in salt. If you want 80-100 mph, put it on the nice trailer, hook it to your truck, and find a steep hill. That's how I got my 302 over 80 mph. OR, find Kaama drives which were also stock on some, and get you another 10mph or so.

I like Formulas, but this one needs to be laid to rest most likely, after the K-Planes and windshield are salvaged. check for rotted transom and stringers. I'd take the budget, and buy a 311 or 357 needed less work as it received more luv, or a Cigarette as they have a cult following and therefore better resale.

The 26 hours is a) doubtful, and b) so what? It's not like the hull has moving parts that wear out.
Old 07-30-2017, 09:53 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TomZ
That boat has sat out in the elements for a long time. You are going to run into serious transom and stringer issues guaranteed. You'll be removing the deck, fuel tank, and all of the inner structure to make repairs. With all that work you'll be lucky if the boat goes straight.

For the 30-40k invested, you could have a very nice newer Formula (or anything really) that would better fit your desires. Even if you went and got her all done up and perfect, resale would still be no more than 10-15k (and that's being generous).

If you can post the HIN, I can decipher it for you.

Good luck!

I have a hard time reading the HIN but I think it's TNRM3646M801
Old 08-02-2017, 03:07 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

Oh my goodness !!!!

Could be the most expensive and labor intensive free thing anyone has gotten...short of a gold digger...but close !

Yikes !
Old 08-02-2017, 03:48 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1,234 Likes on 688 Posts

TNR - Thunderbird Products (Formula)

M3646 - Serial Number

M80I - 1980 April

---

Formula should be able to give you some information, but basically it's a Formula 302 built in April of 1980.

Cheers!

Last edited by TomZ; 08-02-2017 at 03:54 PM.
Old 08-02-2017, 05:17 PM
Registered

Received 332 Likes on 164 Posts

I admire your passion and understand what it means to spend time with your boys, but before you get to far involved I would do as others suggested and check the structure. From the photos there was a lot of exposed wood for many years that has soaked up plenty of water. I would also suggest coring some holes in the floor to see if it is wet in a couple of areas. If you do have to replace the transom it is a great time to fill the holes and prep it for bravos. Good luck and keep posting your progress.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:43 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

OK the hull is awesome. One of Formula's better. They are for Formula standards, very light. I loved mine. With stock 330hp motors and TRS drives it ran about 60 easy. Chart has all the specs about on the money. This is going to be a HUGE project and from a financial sense is a bad choice. I have made plenty of bad choices in my life however so I am not judging. If there is rot it will travel in these boats due to the way that they are made. They did not cap the stringers so once they start the rot travels all over the boat. You want to check all that because if it is as bad as mine was I would cut your losses.