Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Formula (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/formula-36/)
-   -   242 anchoring, how do you do it? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/formula/356287-242-anchoring-how-do-you-do.html)

Alwhite00 08-27-2018 10:00 AM

242 anchoring, how do you do it?

I have a 242 LS and have been anchoring by throwing it over the side and tying to the center cleat, not ideal as I am broadside to the wind. It's almost impossible to get tied to the front cleat. That would be ideal but not sure how to get that done. Any suggestions? Tricks/tips?

Redneckcustoms13 08-27-2018 10:05 AM

I have someone sit on the bow and drop it/tie off, I'll reverse to set it. Then get out and set the rear anchor. If I'm alone, it's a pain in the ass.

GLENAMY 242SS 08-27-2018 11:27 AM

Tie the anchor line to the front cleat first as you are approaching your anchorage, while anchor is in boat then drop anchor over side from cockpit. Be certain of line routing, bow rail, front line chocks so it does not need rerouting. Be careful not to fowl the line on anything inside of the boat. I also set my anchor on a large towel when on the floor of the boat.
It is a pain in the rear as the deck should be super slippery.

Alwhite00 08-27-2018 08:24 PM

I did tie to the front cleat, ran the line along the bow rail and did it that way but retrieving it was a pain. It is very sketchy getting onto the bow, I am extremely paranoid that one misstep and the windshield is toast. Just a pain in the ass.

badmonkey 08-28-2018 05:08 AM

Total pain in ass. Time for CC with windlass

TomZ 08-28-2018 07:06 AM

There’s no need to retrieve it from the bow. Pull forward alongside the vertical point of the anchor ; it will pull up once your forward of it’s attachment point in the mud/sand. I do the same to drop the anchor, but in reverse. Takes some practice.

Chart 08-28-2018 07:50 AM

Put a line with a ring on the end around the anchor rode between the bow cleat and the anchor, with end of line tied to somewhere in the cockpit or spring cleat. When time to pull up anchor, pull on that line until it brings the anchor rode to your hand, and then start pulling up the anchor.

Or, this might work: Cleat the anchor to the bow about 20' from the end of the anchor line. Tie the end to somewhere in the cockpit. Pull the boat forward to take pull off anchor line, and undo the knot on the bow, keeping the end of anchor rode tied to the cockpit. Then start pulling the anchor up.

Alwhite00 08-28-2018 01:47 PM

As long as I don’t have to climb on the deck I’m open for ideas.

ph1971 08-28-2018 07:35 PM

I send the wife over the windshield for all of that anchor stuff. She looks much better than I do up there yanking and grunting. She’s only fallen in once and that’s why I recommend a boat hook so you can save your anchor.

Sydwayz 08-28-2018 07:42 PM

Can you get to the bow through the cabin and access hatch?