Notices
Formula

More power for my 311/TRS

Old 03-04-2019, 02:05 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1,232 Likes on 687 Posts
Default More power for my 311/TRS

Not this season but perhaps the next, I'm thinking of doing some engine upgrades to the 311. Currently, she has 1999 502 MPIs with a little under 400 hours on each engine. CMI "cool collar" E-Tops with the water mixing at the transom hose connections. The heads were redone on one of the engines probably 200 hours ago. I'll probably have both redone during my upgrade. She does not burn oil, and the plugs are perfect every time I pull them so I think the short block are good candidates for top-end only work.

I have full Latham steering... a huge upgrade that has made the boat much faster in the rough stuff.

My thoughts on upgrades:

1. Remove the MPI set up (some will scoff at this, but I'd rather have the simplicity of carbs, and to make good power, the intake has to go anyway).
2. Freshen up the 088 casting heads, and do some pocket porting (I can do the porting myself).
3. Crane 741 roller with Comp 929 springs.
4. Crane Gold rockers with studs to replace the existing non-adjustable set-up.
5. Edelbrock Performer RPM Air Gap with a Holley 850.
6. I might keep the factory Cool Fuel set up (haven't had any issues with it), and use a regulator to manage proper carb-friendly fuel pressure (will the pump supply enough fuel?).
7. Keep the factory distributor using the limp-home module for a basic curve (timing set at 34 degrees or so).

Depending on what the heads look like to upgrade cost-wise, I may look at alternatives some alternatives. Depends on what funds are like really.

I'm thinking the above will get me to about 575 HP and 600 lbs ft of torque per engine. The question... with the requisite prop change... will it be enough to make a noticeable difference (say 10 MPH) or am I forever stuck at 69-70? The gain would be more than 150 HP per side.

I know the TRS can be a detractor here, but I do not think it would make that much of a difference in the end... and I will not give up the smooth shifting of this set up so they're staying.

What do you guys think? Doable? How much faster?
Old 03-04-2019, 03:06 PM
'05 Concept SF23
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

MY 311 bravo with approx 600 HP blower motors would run low 80s. What exhaust are you planning on running?
Old 03-04-2019, 03:33 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I will keep the CMI Etops and long TRS tail pipes. I don’t think reversion will be a factor considering how far down the line the water mixes in.

I’ve considered blowers, but I didn’t want to have to mess with the hatch. 250 blowers might fit, and the 502s as they sit with 5-6 pounds will make about 600 HP without really going into the engines. I’m tempted to go that way, but I don’t know if they’d fit without some surgery. Can’t beat the torque with blowers that’s for sure!
Old 03-04-2019, 06:11 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 58 Posts

The decision process is the hardest part, second to paying for everything. The balance is to get as much power as you can without giving up reliability and longevity. The snow ball just rolls and rolls and the price goes up and up. I think you can meet your goals with blowers and port work and 731 cams that won’t require as short a maintenance interval as 741’s. The little sh!t just eats you up on these upgrades. I know I’m not telling you anything you don’t know. If I could spend your money, I would go with a couple mildly built 572 tall decks. Only kidding. Best of luck Tom.
Old 03-04-2019, 06:16 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 493 Likes on 229 Posts

Tom,

Make that girl faster...I am a big fan for the blowers idea....or you can go my route and build a set of 509's at 675hp naturally aspirated...let me know if I can help.

Chris
Old 03-05-2019, 09:47 AM
Registered

Received 394 Likes on 164 Posts

Tom, I have a Formula 303 sr1 that had stock 502 carbed motors. I spent $30k building 540s that made 670 hp and I only picked up 8 mph. These hulls run out of bottom around 80-82 mph.
Old 03-05-2019, 12:05 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I think I’d be pretty unhappy spending that kind of coin to only gain 8 MPH. I’m not familiar with the 303 though I do believe they are very different than the 311. I’ve never seen a 303 in person, but that’s my understanding.

Looking through the forum, it seems that there have been some pretty fast 311s, and that 600 HP seems to be the level needed to really make these old girls fly. Torque is key, and that comes with the blower. I don’t think an NA engine will make the torque needed to really spin the higher pitched props. I gained 20+ mph going to a 250 blower and 525 EFI cam with my 454 in my 242. That engine was making 600 ft lbs at cruise!

I think the case is really made to go blown to get this done.
Old 03-05-2019, 02:01 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by TomZ
I think I’d be pretty unhappy spending that kind of coin to only gain 8 MPH. I’m not familiar with the 303 though I do believe they are very different than the 311. I’ve never seen a 303 in person, but that’s my understanding.

Looking through the forum, it seems that there have been some pretty fast 311s, and that 600 HP seems to be the level needed to really make these old girls fly. Torque is key, and that comes with the blower. I don’t think an NA engine will make the torque needed to really spin the higher pitched props. I gained 20+ mph going to a 250 blower and 525 EFI cam with my 454 in my 242. That engine was making 600 ft lbs at cruise!

I think the case is really made to go blown to get this done.
Tom,
Get it done and make sure you are at the Chesapeake Bay Family and Friends Run weekend of May 3-4

Chris
Old 03-05-2019, 02:52 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

We're going to try to make it Chris! I have to do some trailer work, and get the trans swapped out! I'm about a month behind because of weather and the flu. But we most certainly are going to try hard to make it!

The engine project is a next year thing. Last season, lots of rain, the swim platform change-out, and having the boat down for a month to finish the Latham steering project soured me on doing projects outside of general maintenance during the season. I'll start collecting parts throughout the year, and then look to do the refreshes and upgrades starting in November; that's my plan anyway!
Old 03-05-2019, 04:58 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by TomZ
We're going to try to make it Chris! I have to do some trailer work, and get the trans swapped out! I'm about a month behind because of weather and the flu. But we most certainly are going to try hard to make it!

The engine project is a next year thing. Last season, lots of rain, the swim platform change-out, and having the boat down for a month to finish the Latham steering project soured me on doing projects outside of general maintenance during the season. I'll start collecting parts throughout the year, and then look to do the refreshes and upgrades starting in November; that's my plan anyway!
Tom,

If there is anything I can do for you to help please let me know. I will be happy to come down to VA to help...plus it will give me an excuse to come and harass C.H. (AKA-wrench monkey)... that I will get him to help with whatever you need.

Chris

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.