Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Formula
311 vs 292...first REAL boat >

311 vs 292...first REAL boat

Notices

311 vs 292...first REAL boat

Old 05-03-2019, 07:12 AM
  #21  
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 621
Likes: 0
Received 93 Likes on 61 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ph1971 View Post
In my experience, “Who owned it?” Is the most important detail about an old boat. I would love to own either boat but the one with the OCD owner is probably going to be in the best shape. Good luck Tom and I hope one of these is the boat for you. I looked at 20 before I found mine.
I agree and if the salt-water, OCD 292 had closer to 70 mph top speed...that would be the tie-breaker. I'm just concerned that getting acceptable speed out of that boat would take a lot of effort/time/$s.
F14A water jet is offline  
Old 05-03-2019, 07:38 AM
  #22  
VIP Member
VIP Member
 
TomZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 2,559
Received 206 Likes on 150 Posts
Default

Depends on what’s in it for power. Distant Thunder on here had a 292 with warmed over 454s that was into the 70s with a simple set-up.

I don’t think I’d be too concerned about the speed... not yet anyway.
TomZ is offline  
Old 05-03-2019, 07:51 AM
  #23  
Registered
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 382
Received 62 Likes on 34 Posts
Default

Not to start dispute but TRS no! Stronger maybe??Faster no parts no old yes!TRS heavy yes! Do your home work on both again Bravo better set up! Good luck drive both a good amount of time bring mecury guy or motor head>?
Nothing personel 353 is offline  
Old 05-03-2019, 08:24 AM
  #24  
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 621
Likes: 0
Received 93 Likes on 61 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Nothing personel 353 View Post
Not to start dispute but TRS no! Stronger maybe??Faster no parts no old yes!TRS heavy yes! Do your home work on both again Bravo better set up! Good luck drive both a good amount of time bring mecury guy or motor head>?
I've tried to study up on TRS and it sounds like (although the Bravos are more "current" and more readily available) the TRS' are more robust, smoother shifting, and with a little more research/effort are acceptably supported in the repair/aftermarket.
100% correct/recalibrate me if I am mistaken/misinformed.
F14A water jet is offline  
Old 05-03-2019, 08:27 AM
  #25  
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 621
Likes: 0
Received 93 Likes on 61 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by TomZ View Post
Depends on what’s in it for power. Distant Thunder on here had a 292 with warmed over 454s that was into the 70s with a simple set-up.

I don’t think I’d be too concerned about the speed... not yet anyway.
...OCD salt water/closed cooling or fresh water all its life, conundrum!
THANKS for helping me think through this.

Last edited by F14A water jet; 05-03-2019 at 09:16 AM.
F14A water jet is offline  
Old 05-03-2019, 09:17 AM
  #26  
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 621
Likes: 0
Received 93 Likes on 61 Posts
Default

What do you all think are the "cruising rpms/speeds" for these boats?
454s in 292/Bravo and 311/TRS.
F14A water jet is offline  
Old 05-03-2019, 09:26 AM
  #27  
Registered
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Mobile, Al
Posts: 848
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Default

That is all depending on what size props they are running.
Redneckcustoms13 is offline  
Old 05-03-2019, 09:28 AM
  #28  
Registered
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 2,042
Received 80 Likes on 48 Posts
Default

Keep in mind your tow truck requirements.
If you find one around Lake Kentucky/Barkley Lake, let me know and I "can put an eye on it for you".
Good luck
GLENAMY 242SS is offline  
Old 05-03-2019, 09:39 AM
  #29  
VIP Member
VIP Member
 
TomZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 2,559
Received 206 Likes on 150 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by F14A water jet View Post
I've tried to study up on TRS and it sounds like (although the Bravos are more "current" and more readily available) the TRS' are more robust, smoother shifting, and with a little more research/effort are acceptably supported in the repair/aftermarket.
100% correct/recalibrate me if I am mistaken/misinformed.
After owning my 311/TRS boat, it would be a hard sell to get me to move to a boat that doesn't have transmissions. I plan to keep my 311 for a long time so when it's time to do some big upgrades, I'll probably make the switch to Konrad drives. So far the TRS drives have been excellent, and have needed nothing outside of oil changes and greased u-joints.
TomZ is offline  
Old 05-03-2019, 09:44 AM
  #30  
VIP Member
VIP Member
 
TomZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 2,559
Received 206 Likes on 150 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by F14A water jet View Post
...OCD salt water/closed cooling or fresh water all its life, conundrum!
THANKS for helping me think through this.
I'm always baffled by how people seem to want to run to the hills when a saltwater boat is up for consideration. If the owner of the boat was meticulous with maintenance, then there is no reason not to consider it for purchase.
TomZ is offline  
The following users liked this post:
AmiableDave (05-09-2021), badmonkey (05-03-2019), Nothing personel 353 (05-03-2019), ph1971 (05-04-2019), rak rua (06-06-2019), Redneckcustoms13 (05-03-2019), underpsi68 (05-03-2019)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.