Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Formula (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/formula-36/)
-   -   Formula purchase process (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/formula/365073-formula-purchase-process.html)

Nomad61 02-21-2020 10:58 AM

Formula purchase process

New to the forum, new to boating, in the process of purchasing my first boat, a 99 252 SS.
Though still wrapped and winterized....visually it presents like a one owner boat should.......very minimal visible wear. I was able to get inside and look around.
If it passes a surveyor and mechanical inspection....would you forego a sea trial?
Here in the Midwest that won't be able to happen for sometime.
I welcome your comments

F-2 Speedy 02-21-2020 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Nomad61 (Post 4726333)
New to the forum, new to boating, in the process of purchasing my first boat, a 99 252 SS.
Though still wrapped and winterized....visually it presents like a one owner boat should.......very minimal visible wear. I was able to get inside and look around.
If it passes a surveyor and mechanical inspection....would you forego a sea trial?
Here in the Midwest that won't be able to happen for sometime.
I welcome your comments

I would not, Id want to test it on the water performing as it should, we on here over the years have read all to often about purchases like this and some don't turn out well, may cost you thousands in the end

Unlimited jd 02-21-2020 12:16 PM

Dress warm and go for a ride. If you choose not to buy for any reason other than it failed sea trial you pay to rewinterize and wrap it.
31* here today and I just went out for 30 min.

tpenfield 02-25-2020 01:52 PM

21 year old boat . . . I'd do the sea trial with the surveyor.

SabrToothSqrl 02-26-2020 07:08 AM

Depends on what you're willing to lose. is this a $10k boat or $100k boat? The higher you slide up, the more you want to know what you're getting into. I made the mistake of not getting a survey done and regret it today! So.. FWIW, you're price point may vary, but had I known what I know now... I'd have most likely skipped it. saved myself a lot of hassle.

masi242 02-26-2020 09:06 AM

When i bought my 242 boat was in good shape ran it in the driveway, i knew it needed a tuneup, did all that got it on the water and it just didn't have that much power. Well long story short two weeks later we installed a remanned engine and ran great. Get a Survey and go for a ride it is worth the wait. Good luck

Nomad61 02-26-2020 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl (Post 4726890)
Depends on what you're willing to lose. is this a $10k boat or $100k boat? The higher you slide up, the more you want to know what you're getting into. I made the mistake of not getting a survey done and regret it today! So.. FWIW, you're price point may vary, but had I known what I know now... I'd have most likely skipped it. saved myself a lot of hassle.

Thanks for the reply.

$20k boat

The owners say that they will prep the boat for inspection....(unwrap and make sure batteries are charged etc) If inspection survey and mechanical are good, I waive sea trial and move to close. If inspection fails, deposit returned, I walk away.

I have asked for a maintenance history, and to date have nothing.

NO history and no sea trial?

Nomad61 02-26-2020 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Unlimited jd (Post 4726352)
Dress warm and go for a ride. If you choose not to buy for any reason other than it failed sea trial you pay to rewinterize and wrap it.
31* here today and I just went out for 30 min.

I agree....but the real problem appears to be ICE.....:)
I ain't skeeeeeered!

underpsi68 02-26-2020 09:35 AM

No sea trial, no purchase!!!

SabrToothSqrl 02-26-2020 11:20 AM

Most likely, if you can't sea-trial, what's the risk? Cracked Blocks? I just dumped 2 5.7s in mine. spent about $10k doing all the work myself. if they compression test the engine, that would be good enough for me I'd think in this price range. I assume they can run the boat on the trailer? start it up?

Is this boat still worth it if that's the case? Is the cost low enough to justify not water testing it, and discovering issues later?

Can you offer a deposit and they hold it until spring?

Anything 20 years old will have issues. What is your appetite for repairs? I do all my own work. Its free, I get to learn a lot, and I do it right...

Ideally sea-trial it, but if not possible, it's all risk/reward. I'd hate to get a new to me anything and have it not work. But I know buying in winter is double edge... cheaper prices... less water time.

I bought a jet ski one time and the warranty expired in march. I took it out with snow still on the ground to make sure it worked before the warranty was up! and fell in! that was a COLD ass day!