Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Formula (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/formula-36/)
-   -   311 Engine Upgrades (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/formula/368012-311-engine-upgrades.html)

TomZ 08-15-2020 06:51 PM

My good buddy said to put it back together and putt putt on the bad engine. Dropping valves seems counter productive, lol.

And with my luck lately, I’d lose the starboard motor just creeping along to the sandbar.

Nice going on the 31!

Redneckcustoms13 08-17-2020 07:38 AM

I can appreciate your patience. I'm eager to see how she turns out. Going to be a neat top end set up you are going with.

TomZ 08-27-2020 02:40 PM

Slow start to everything. Weather, work, family.

I'm hoping I have the injection parts removed soon so I can start selling those off for extra funds. If anyone is interested in a nice stock MPI set-up, I'll make a good deal on everything. It'll be everything from the fuel lines (after the separator) to the intake manifold including the wiring. I'm going to keep the distributors and coils but the rest goes. Will also include the wiring to the helm. New injectors from BUP in 2019 (these are really nice and cost me over $1200 to do both engines).

All MEFI 3.

ph1971 08-30-2020 09:01 PM

Sounds like a good recipe for 600 hp to me. As far as the fuel pump location, your stringer mount is a good spot and low as possible. I have had great luck with the aero motive m-1000. Good luck with all of it...That is going to be completely different ball game when you add 400 ponies to the props.

TylerBurich 09-01-2020 11:51 AM

The fuel pickups in our 88 311 are rather small pipe thread in size i'm thinking 3/8" npt female at the tank fitting. Let me know what you end up doing for tank pickups I think you will need to upgrade from stock to support 600hp.

TomZ 09-01-2020 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by ph1971 (Post 4755207)
Sounds like a good recipe for 600 hp to me. As far as the fuel pump location, your stringer mount is a good spot and low as possible. I have had great luck with the aeromotive m-1000. Good luck with all of it...That is going to be completely different ball game when you add 400 ponies to the props.

Thanks!

I was hoping to avoid going into the stringers to mount them. Space is already very tight upfront with the TRS set-up. I guess I could mount the pumps more toward the stern, maybe? That's an idea!

That Aeromotive m1000 is think is going to be way overkill not to mention over $1k to do two engines! I was leaning more toward the Mallory Comp 140. I've used Mallory in other projects for years and been happy. Now if someone has a couple of used pumps for sale at the general 50 cents on the dollar used parts rate, I might be tempted! Any advice is appreciated of course.

TomZ 09-01-2020 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by TylerBurich (Post 4755451)
The fuel pickups in our 88 311 are rather small pipe thread in size i'm thinking 3/8" npt female at the tank fitting. Let me know what you end up doing for tank pickups I think you will need to upgrade from stock to support 600hp.

I figured I would probably need to open them up. I was going to pull the anti-siphon valves to start, then look at the pickups. How has pickups for sale? I'm pretty sure I could make my own, but if something is available with less work, I'm all in.

TomZ 09-10-2020 09:02 AM

It's always the last one...

Beautiful Labor Day weekend... could hear some boats getting on it pretty good from the house and figures that I'm stuck here working on my boat.... I'm down to removing the last header bolt so that I could get the outside starboard header off. Everything is so tight in this boat because of the MPI crap and I was looking forward to having it off so I could reach the bolts on the offshore mounts. "Strange... not a socket-head screw." I feel the bolt really well and realize that someone has used a standard header bolt on. I guess they ran out of stainless socket-head screws? Great. Got a socket on it, not budging. Breaker bar, rounded off the head.

F----!!

So this job just became a few degrees harder.I would have had both engines out over the weekend had I not run into this. I decided the rest of the holiday weekend wasn't worth sacrificing so I finished up what I could with the intention of finishing the removal this coming weekend.

The Gen VI 502 MPI is not a good fit in these boats. Well, in my boat anyway. The accessory layout especially on the starboard engine doesn't fit well with the layout of the stringers. I will need to rethink some of this when it goes back together. I hear guys saying they can have their engines ready to pull in under an hour. Not on this one! Hell, It takes a good hour just to be able to get to the mounting bolts on one engine and that's using an impact.

I have been really trying to come up with a fuel pump idea and thought about using a mechanical pump similar to the Gen-V but the accessory layout makes that impossible. I'm open to ideas on how to put this back together to make it easier to work on.

Thanks for letting me rant.

TZ

F14A water jet 09-10-2020 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by TomZ (Post 4756463)
It's always the last one...
Thanks for letting me rant.
TZ

These are not rants, they are road maps for the rest of us! Keep going!!!

TomZ 09-10-2020 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by F14A water jet (Post 4756477)
These are not rants, they are road maps for the rest of us! Keep going!!!

Thanks Tom!

I'm sure my neighbors loved my "ranting" about the header bolt the other night! I was a little vocal about it lol.