Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Formula (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/formula-36/)
-   -   Boat turns hard left if you let go of wheel. (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/formula/368169-boat-turns-hard-left-if-you-let-go-wheel.html)

SabrToothSqrl 08-24-2020 09:15 AM

Boat turns hard left if you let go of wheel.

Hello, at anything above maybe 2,00 RPM, my drives and the wheel start turning left. on plane this is very annoying as I'm constantly holding the wheel. If I let go for even a moment, the boat will hard left after a few seconds.

With twins I thought these days were behind me....

any idea on where to start looking? I do suspect some of the loose steering parts. I did the JR marine fix back in 2016 or 17, and there is almost no slop between the steering arm and drive. I think it's all forward of that. This winter I'm planning a new steering actuator, helm, and cable...

2001 292 FasTech.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Smoke eater 08-24-2020 12:02 PM

Any prop or drive changes that could have one drive turning the wrong way? Just a thought. Or just some loose steering parts like you originally thought. Does it ever get better? Or only when below 2000rpm

SabrToothSqrl 08-24-2020 12:14 PM

It doesn't seem to turn left at idle speed or even fast idle. Issues occurs 100% on plane. It's not wind or wake pushing the boat. Without a doubt if you are running (my cruise is 42 mph), and let go of the wheel, it just... goes left!

It starts slow, then builds. I'll get a video next time I'm out. Thanks.

Both props seem fine, nothing that stands out as damage - stainless. I had already planned to send them out to have them 'gone over' (not sure term)? at a prop shop, just to make sure they are OEM spec. They are over 20 years old, so why not?

Smoke eater 08-24-2020 12:19 PM

Silly thought that just clicked in my head. What about your tab or k plane? Are they all squared a way. To me if one of them was slightly off I would think it would happen at any speed or rpm and would make the boat lean more then just turning left. Just spitballing ideas. I know others probably have much better ideas but just some thoughts I was having.

SabrToothSqrl 08-24-2020 01:02 PM

I can test, but usually tabs all the way up, drives all the way down to minimize chances of that.

F-2 Speedy 08-24-2020 01:20 PM

are the drives aligned correctly

SabrToothSqrl 08-25-2020 02:17 PM

I'm not sure what you mean by that..? thanks

Redneckcustoms13 08-25-2020 02:28 PM

Measure from the center if the nose cones. Then center of prop shafts. Some say 1/16" tow in, some say dead even.

In all of the outboard set ups we have done they have been set dead even and have given no issues to speak of.

SabrToothSqrl 08-25-2020 03:46 PM

I will check that this winter. Thanks.

frickstyle 08-25-2020 04:43 PM

Does it have hydraulic steering? If so, check for air in the lines, you can bleed them too. May have air in the lines, very dangerous.