Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Formula
Anyone replace trs drives with Bravo's? >

Anyone replace trs drives with Bravo's?

Notices

Anyone replace trs drives with Bravo's?

Old 10-13-2020, 04:38 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a situation where I may need a new transmission, TRS drive, and transom work if it is damaged. I for sure need the inner transom plate and the input shaft for the TRS drive at a minimum.
I need to get it apart to find out exactly what's broken - but my options are (if I am lucky) 1) Hopefully just the driveshaft and inner transom plate need replacement. I'll pull the motor and drive, have the TRS drive rebuilt with a new input shaft and other wear items, install the new inner transom plate and put it back together.
If there is transom damage AND transmission damage I may either get another transmission and go to Konrads. What am I looking at for two Konrad drives? about 8k a piece?
The other option is to get rid of the TRS setup, sell off the good transmission and drive, move the engines back redo the transom for Bravo drives and live with having Bravos. At least they're cheap and expendable comepared to others...but I'm gonna miss that butter smooth shifting and the awesome straight cut gear sound when you put twin TRS drives in reverse with the Merc 420 rumble.
Old 10-13-2020, 04:46 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 78 Likes on 53 Posts

My advice on the Bravos was in the event that you found rot in the transom. A lot of guys seem to want to do the switch to a Bravo; I'm not in that camp. Your plan is a good one, and a standard TRS is more than enough for the 420. Rather than make it complicated and expensive... replace or rebuild the transmission, replace the broken parts, and refresh/fix your TRS drive.
The following 2 users liked this post by TomZ:
311SR1 (10-13-2020), Craney (10-13-2020)
Old 10-13-2020, 04:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by TomZ View Post
My advice on the Bravos was in the event that you found rot in the transom. A lot of guys seem to want to do the switch to a Bravo; I'm not in that camp. Your plan is a good one, and a standard TRS is more than enough for the 420. Rather than make it complicated and expensive... replace or rebuild the transmission, replace the broken parts, and refresh/fix your TRS drive.
Again - I really appreciate your insight. Totally makes sense if I find transom rot - I know the P.O took really good care of this boat and bought it brand new, has never seen the ocean, and it was trailered into the lake for the vast majority of its life so I am crossing fingers for no rot. If some flailing parts did a little damage to the transom, if its solid otherwise so be it - ill fix it and do what you said. That is really my hope as a TRS drive refresh and even the trans rebuild with the parts I need isn't the end of the world.

Thx again Tom
The following users liked this post:
TomZ (10-13-2020)
Old 10-13-2020, 05:34 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

So long as no rot, the transom should be a-ok. The assembly would absorb anything that would cause damage. Get her apart and then assess.

Mike Mello (Sick Stinger) here on OSO will more than likely have parts for sale and at good prices.

Rebuilding the transmission is straight forward. If the tailstock is busted up real bad, I have at least one available. Replace the dampener plate on the flywheel when you do the job; it's good insurance.

Wishing you luck. Reach out with any questions. You can text me at: seven 5 seven 3 7 six 9 five 6 seven.

-Tom
311SR1 (10-13-2020)
Old 10-13-2020, 05:40 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

I'm blending thread responses. I responded to your other thread earlier last week.
311SR1 (10-13-2020)
Old 10-13-2020, 07:43 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by TomZ View Post
So long as no rot, the transom should be a-ok. The assembly would absorb anything that would cause damage. Get her apart and then assess.

Mike Mello (Sick Stinger) here on OSO will more than likely have parts for sale and at good prices.

Rebuilding the transmission is straight forward. If the tailstock is busted up real bad, I have at least one available. Replace the dampener plate on the flywheel when you do the job; it's good insurance.

Wishing you luck. Reach out with any questions. You can text me at: seven 5 seven 3 7 six 9 five 6 seven.

-Tom
Awesome - well that brightened my day. I never would have thought about the dampener plate. Will definitely be doing that while I'm in there. I can't wait to start getting it apart and ready for next season - it sucks but I'm secretly excited for a winter project. It's at the marina on the trailer right now, I'm going to be moving in the next month or so which is the only delay at the moment - I need the new garage so I can work on it. Believe me - as soon as I can get into this thing I will. Promise to post a ton of pictures - maybe It'll help someone in the future. Plus I'm sure I'll get stuck somewhere at some point.
Thank you for the part source suggestions - I'll throw up some pics of the tailstock, my first time having one of these B/Ws apart. Really cool of you to help like this by the way, I really appreciate the input and your time. Your Good people
The following 2 users liked this post by 311SR1:
jeff32 (10-13-2020), TomZ (10-15-2020)