Towing with a RAV4...

Notices
Formula

Towing with a RAV4...

Old 12-04-2020, 04:34 PM
Registered

Received 303 Likes on 152 Posts
Default Towing with a RAV4...

Okay, now that I got your attention...my Ford Excursion/boat trailer combination is just a few feet too long to maneuver onto my boat parking pad. I'm thinking about using my wife's Toyota RAV 4 to move the boat the last 20 feet. I was wondering if anyone knows (or could estimate) the tongue weight of a twin big block F311 SR-1 with Bravo drives on a triple axle aluminum Venture trailer.
Thanks,
Tom
Old 12-04-2020, 04:46 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I couldn't tell you the tongue weight, but it can probably handle it. The problem is you may have trouble turning. Just be mindful of the hitch and flex when you lower it down. It sounds like you are going to be torqueing the boat into a spot, and that may no bueno as well.

Have you considered putting a hitch receiver on the front of your Excursion? That would be the best solution. You will get more maneuverability.

I've moved 6k lbs of Pontoon with my golf cart around my property. Here it is supporting all the tongue weight of my former 37AT. But I didn't try moving it.

This a buddy pulling his 37AT straight out the driveway from it's boat shelter, to winterize a few weeks ago using a Honda Pilot. (His new Godzilla Ford hadn't come in yet.)

Old 12-04-2020, 05:07 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
I couldn't tell you the tongue weight, but it can probably handle it. The problem is you may have trouble turning. Just be mindful of the hitch and flex when you lower it down. It sounds like you are going to be torqueing the boat into a spot, and that may no bueno as well.

Have you considered putting a hitch receiver on the front of your Excursion? That would be the best solution. You will get more maneuverability.

I've moved 6k lbs of Pontoon with my golf cart around my property. Here it is supporting all the tongue weight of my former 37AT. But I didn't try moving it.

This a buddy pulling his 37AT straight out the driveway from it's boat shelter, to winterize a few weeks ago using a Honda Pilot. (His new Godzilla Ford hadn't come in yet.)
Great response. I am thinking about a front hitch BUT I have a NICE chrome grill guard up there. Not too much torquing around for the final few feet. I am also thinking about putting a wheel dolly under the tongue jack to "share" the weight with the RAV4.
Old 12-04-2020, 06:57 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 366 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by F14A water jet
Great response. I am thinking about a front hitch BUT I have a NICE chrome grill guard up there. Not too much torquing around for the final few feet. I am also thinking about putting a wheel dolly under the tongue jack to "share" the weight with the RAV4.
they are nice on concrete but asphalte may be rough on casters! I can swing my cat around inside by myself and could not move it outside with my fork lift pulling...

Last edited by jeff32; 12-04-2020 at 08:43 PM.
Old 12-04-2020, 08:44 PM
Registered

Received 92 Likes on 42 Posts

Dont see why not.
Old 12-04-2020, 09:02 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by F14A water jet
That would work fine.

My golf cart (gas) was able to move Monsoon forward and backward on the concrete in my Pole Barn, just like this. I’d roll it forward for fluid changes abundantly then back into the corner.
Old 12-05-2020, 01:55 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,816 Likes on 904 Posts

Tongue weight should be about 10% of total weight if set up correctly, so probably 1000# or so.
The following 2 users liked this post by Griff:
bajaman (12-05-2020), resurrected (12-05-2020)
Old 12-05-2020, 07:14 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 628 Likes on 289 Posts

Griff is probably spot-on with that tongue weight...and that's a LOT. It is one thing, as others have noted or had experience with, to move the boat simply backwards/forwards...a whole 'nother deal to actually maneuver it around.
Old 12-05-2020, 07:29 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Griff
Tongue weight should be about 10% of total weight if set up correctly, so probably 1000# or so.
Thanks, I'm thinking if I share the weight between the RAV4 tongue and the dolly that nothing gets overstressed (too much).
Old 12-05-2020, 11:06 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1,231 Likes on 686 Posts

We tried using wheel dollies with the Bullet (similar weight) and they got crushed. You’ll probably spend more on follies that won’t work vs getting a front hitch.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.