Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Formula (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/formula-36/)
-   -   Oil on Bravo Trim Ram - Normal? Bad? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/formula/378485-oil-bravo-trim-ram-normal-bad.html)

SabrToothSqrl 02-23-2023 07:56 PM

Oil on Bravo Trim Ram - Normal? Bad?

1 Attachment(s)
I installed SEI rams a few years back, about 5 years I think. 4 of them.

I found a small puddle of oil under my one drive, and it was tan, not green, so I traced it to a ram. I thought it was one of the hoses, so I tightened them up a hair, and put paper towels under any potential leak points. Never had this happen before.

Turns out, it was the seal where the ram goes through. The SEI Rebuild kits are $50 and look easy enough, but the Merc. ram tool is like $800 billion. https://www.ebay.com/itm/30433699787...Bk9SR7ji1pHQYQ

I saw a video where the guy made the tool from a cheap adjustable wrench, thought that was cool, and under $40 or so.

I went the 'lazy' route and just replaced the whole ram for $160. (These used to be $120!)

Replaced the ram, (hung the old on my wall of old boat parts) and all is good.
But I went to replace the anodes on both drives since winter is boring and cold in PA, and I get bored easily.
Found just a small bit of oil on 2 of the other rams. No drips, no 'leaks'. It was just kind of smeared in a circle.
I've not seen any oil loss from the tanks in the boat.

Finally, my question: Do these usually have a tiny bit of oil on them, or should they be 100% perfectly no oil on them?
If I had not removed the anode, I'd not have seen any oil at all.
Even the brand new one seems to have just a tiny bit of oil on the shaft.

I really don't want to replace all 4, I could rebuild with new seals
https://www.sterndrive.cc/product/Fi...5-87400A2.html
if I had to do more than 1, I'd build that tool:

I'm a bit OCD when it comes to my boat. It's either perfect or it's wrong, but I sure thought you'd get more than 4-5 seasons out of these seals? We run near Baltimore, MD. 70-100 engine hours/season. Boat is OUT of the water when not in use.

Should I plan new seals every 4-5 years? Or is this normal enough?

Thanks

SabrToothSqrl 02-23-2023 07:58 PM

Looks like you can get the seals super cheap

I guess I'll be making that tool and swapping some seals?

Would this tool work?
I thought the tool was crazy expensive, and the seals $50+. Which Is why I replaced a whole ram for $160. Now it looks like I can do just the seals easy enough. Even the OEM seal kit isn't that expensive. ugh. Why didn't I know this 2 weeks ago?! Learning is fun.

scarabman 02-24-2023 07:23 AM

Not super cheap but Marine Tech Tools makes some nice trim ram pin wrenches. Never had luck with the adjustable ones.

AllDodge 02-24-2023 07:28 AM

Shouldn't need to replace seals every so many years I'm thinking. Have had 20 yr old rams that never leaked

Don't think the ABN tool will work because the pins are most likely to large. The Merc tool has different size pins that can be changed out. I would make a tool or get one similar to the OTC 6613 spanner wrench. The OTC wrench will go no smaller then 1.5 inch so before getting it measure the distance. Or look for similar

SabrToothSqrl 02-24-2023 07:59 AM

Never leaked - ok. so I guess I gotta repair/replace mine. ugh. I guess I'll do the 3 rams I didn't replace.
Yeah, I don't recall my OMC ones leaking in 30 years either. Guess I'm just lucky.

The tool on amazon has free returns, if it doesn't fit/work, I'll try something else.
It says it has 1/4" and 7/32" pins. I'll measure what fits the ram today.
I now have a 'spare' that's off the boat to test with. Once I have a working Gland Nut Wrench (OMG that's hilarious). I'll pick up 3 seal kits.

anyone replaced the seals with the ram still attached at the gimbal ring end? I'd prefer to not remove the lines to it, I've done it lots, it's just a hassle. Either way I know oil's going to drain out!
or just bite the bullet and get 3 new rams for $500. Just dropped $1k last night at costco. so really not feeling that!

thanks

AllDodge 02-24-2023 08:26 AM

I've rebuild the rams while attached. Also do same with my dozer and track loader, there just a lot larger

scarabman 02-24-2023 09:23 AM

The rod seals on the rams going bad is nothing unusual at all. I have rebuilt/replaced caps on dozens of rams on my own, as well as friends boats. As AD said, they can easily be rebuilt without removing them from the boat. Pull the pin on the drive and have at it.

DrFeelgood 02-24-2023 09:24 AM

I used the OTC 7463 adjustable gland nut wrench when I rebuilt my trim rams. Worked great.

SabrToothSqrl 02-24-2023 09:25 AM

The holes for the pins on the ram end cap are 1/4" FYI.

Is everyone using the grease specified in the manual for reassembly? or just any grease, or no grease?

'

Thanks everyone.

jbraun2828 02-24-2023 09:31 AM

It’s been a while but I remember it being a super easy job and the seals were really cheap. I didn’t buy any special tools. I think I stuck some drill bits in the holes and turned it with a big screw driver, they weren’t super tight and came right off.