Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Formula (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/formula-36/)
-   -   242 ls single big block (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/formula/55895-242-ls-single-big-block.html)

formula454 08-01-2003 12:29 PM

242 ls single big block

Looking to purchase a 242 LS but the 330hp is not going to cut the mustard I don't think. What will I need to get this boat up to around 70mph or is that even possible with 500hp or less?

Formula Outlaw 08-01-2003 08:13 PM

My first Formula was an 85' 242 LS with twin 350/260's.
I ran thru-hull exhaust with the exhaust tips custom made with 3 inch on the "engine" side and expanded to 4 inch coming through the hull and out. I ran K&N filters, and 24 inch "cleaver" style props, though I would not run those today. (owned boat in 92-96). It had twin Alpha SS outdrives and trimmed all the way out
just to the point of just the barest hint of chine walking, I could get an honest 71/72 miles an hour out of her. I had a friend who had same boat with a 454/330 and I had him by about 8 miles an hour. Nice thing about twins is you have a "get home" motor and docking is so much easier. Cruising, gas mileage was only about 10 % different, mine less than his. If you could find one of these give it a look. Make sure it has counter-rotating props, many came through same rotation. Good luck.

formula454 08-01-2003 09:04 PM

Thanks outlaw... don't the 242 LS's only come with twins in the 85-86 models? That's the only thing I guess is I was looking to get an 89 or 90 and have yet to fine one with twins. Otherwise I would probably go with the twins.

Formula Outlaw 08-02-2003 06:10 PM

As far as what was available in what years, I can't answer that. Formula probably can. My buddy's boat was an 87'. I think that Formula started pushing the big blocks over the twin small blocks due to cost difference. The twins were quite a bit more. Also, routine maintenance on the twins was obviously more. If I were looking for a 242 I would strongly consider the older model with twins if the boat is solid. You could swap out the windshield which is the biggest item that "dates" the boat, plus the obligatory "burlwood" in the cabin. I certainly enjoyed mine and for it's size was a great rough water boat. I do remember people commenting they'd never seen twins in that size boat before, that was kind of cool. Pop a couple of 350/325's which is pretty inexpensive considering, and it'll move along right nice. Call Formula and ask so you'll know if they still offered twins in your time era your looking at and how many they sold. That will indicate if your wasting your time looking for a needle in a haystack. Keep me posted on your progress. This has brought back lots of good memories. Good luck....

formula454 08-02-2003 07:49 PM

Yeah, I found an 86 with twins and like you said the windshield is easy indicator of the boats age. I have a friend with a Chris Craft Stinger 260 1986 with twin 350's and he just replaced the 260 hps with 325 and I guess I would say my goal is to keep up wit him hahaha... That's a pretty solid boat as well. I will have to look into if formula made any 242 LS's after 86 with twins!

32storm 08-02-2003 08:11 PM

You could get the twins in '87 in the 242-SR1 and '88 was the last year for the option. both '87 and '88 were the new style rounded windshield. also in '87 the silent thunder swim platform was standard with twins as well. One sweet running package.

formula454 08-02-2003 09:16 PM

32storm,
Do you think the twins is a better performing boat than the single big block? I have not seen to many available with that option so they must not have made too many of them. Every one I find has the single 330 hp 454. Also, does the swim platform slow you down. I drove one a week ago and the guy said it adds a few hundred pounds.

Formula Outlaw 08-02-2003 09:43 PM

The weight of the swim platform alone will slow you
down 1 mph, possibly slightly more. Another thing is that the weight of the swim platform, back past the "center" of the drives, will also cause the boat to be a bit more "stern heavy". If you have twins, then there's even more weight at the stern. To counter this and to get the stern higher in the water at speed, you want "stern lifting" props, like the Quad IV's I run on my 311. When I swapped my 23 inch Mirage for the 24 inch Hydromotive Quad IV's I gained a solid (gps) 5 mph at 3200 rpm and 3 mph on the top. The way these props work is that by lifting the stern higher at speed is like reducing the "X" demension on your drive. In other words by lifting the stern you reduce the drag, less drag equals more rpms. The guys at Hydromotive really knew what they were talking about when they explained exactly what I could expect by switching over. They had it nailed right on the head. Also by
modifying the silent thunder exhaust you can open it up more which allows the engine to breath easier. What I did was completely cut out the "partitions" that are bonded between the interior exhaust tips and the rectangular exhaust outlets and the small circular holes at the bottom of the box I enlarged so big I worry about pelicans making a nest up there. I did the exhaust modification while I still had the Mirage props on and gained 300 rpms at WOT. After that I swapped to the Quad IV's and between the two gained an honest 8 mph on the top end (gps). It was the cheapest 8 mph I'll ever see. Whatever you end up with, give the guys at Hydromotive Engineering a call. They'll give you the straight "skinny" on exactly what you can expect. They will not steer you wrong. Keep me posted.

formula454 08-02-2003 09:46 PM

sounds like a project that I can't wait to start! Now all I have to do is find the right boat!

Formula Outlaw 08-02-2003 10:12 PM

Formula 454-I'll keep an eye and ear peeled and see if anything comes up down my way I think you might be interested in. I live in Sarasota, FL, where are you located? Besides, looking is half the fun. Took me 10 months to find my 89' 311 SR-1, but I found a beauty. I'm only the 3rd owner. Soon as I can figure out how to post a damn picture I'll have it up. (and use the digital camera, I'm an analog kind of guy). Outlaw