Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Formula (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/formula-36/)
-   -   Looking for Prop (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/formula/97464-looking-prop.html)

cleaster 03-01-2005 05:27 PM

Looking for Prop

Hello all. First time poster. Love the Forum. Anyone looking to sell a RH 24P Mirage/Mirage plus? I probably would need a hub kit as well? I have a 242 SS , 502 (worked a little ) =) running at 5100RPM WOT with 21P Mirage Plus. Someone told me to try the 24P and should be able to get some more top end out of her! A little sluggish out of the hole but willing to sacrifice for more Top End if you know what I mean. She does around 62 now.

mopower 03-01-2005 06:31 PM

Re: Looking for Prop

Welcome to a fellow NJ resident and Formula member :cool:
Not to break your heart but Mirages don't come in even pitches. Bravos (four blades)comes in evens.Mirages come in odd pitches. General rule of thumb is when going from three to four blades you drop one pitch.
The smallest Bravo is 22 pitch which would bring your rpms down a little and also give you a better holeshot. Keep in mind these boats are not flat bottom ski boats and aren't made for holeshots. A higher pitch Mirage (three blade) will probably hurt your holeshot even more and MAYBE get you another mph.
My buddy has a 242 LS with a stock 502 415/390hp with a 23" Mirage and runs low 60's and 5000 rpms.
Best bet is to check around with friends to see if you could borrow something before purchasing ;)

292SR1 03-01-2005 07:15 PM

Welcome to the forum. Know the 242 as two different friends have owned similar. Can't recall what they ran for props as both have moved up. I think 21P/23P Mirage.

I spent some time talking with the Mercury Racing guys last year about prop selection in my 292, and they said the 4 blade would give me too much stern lift.

Also have read that boats like ours have low x-dimensions (drives are deep compared to newer boats), and that the 3 blade Mirage is the way to go.

I would try to borrow a 23P Mirage Plus and see if the engine will pull it. My guess is it will bring your WOT to 4800, which might not mean more speed :mad: . Worth a try though.

Good luck

ThirdBird 03-01-2005 07:15 PM

Welcome aboard Cleaster!!!! :drink:

I agree with Mopower fully. As a matter of fact, you said you were turning approxomately 5100 rpm with a 21 inch prop, thats about the rpm you should be turning with that engine. If you go to a 24 incher that'll be too much. Low 60s is about all you're going to see out of that rig without other modifications.

It's a little strange that you're only turning 5100 with a 21 prop. Is that with the trim up and the hull aired out?

chuck21401 03-02-2005 06:03 AM

I have a 242LS with a 454 magnum. Was running a 21 pitch mirage (non plus) and saw 55mph at 5300 rpms. Tried a 23 pitch mirage+ and it was too much prop. Maybe 53mph but only 4500/4600 rpms and it a SLOW to get up on a plane. Switched to a 22 pitch bravo I four blade. Spins to 4900 at 55mph. While this is not much faster then the 21 pitch, the boat comes up on plane much quicker and runs much nicer at WOT and cruising then either the 21mirage or the 23 mirage+. It's interesting, like the prop has more bite. I worked with a retailer that let me demo the props first. I would however would like to try a non+ mirage 23 to see if I would get more top end. Speeds are GPS, two people in the boat with 50 gallons fuel, and trimmed out. I must have some serious slip if a similar boat is spinning the same pitch prop (21 mirage+) at 5100 and getting low 60s! Right?

cleaster 03-02-2005 07:18 AM

All...Many thanks for the Welcome! Formula owners are truly the most hospitable boat owners on the face of the Earth! This will be my second season with this baby and I love it! It handles great, even offshore. I appreciate all the replies. To answer Thirdbird, Yes, at 5100 I have it trimmed to the max, fully aired. I inquired to throttle-up props in Florida and they told me that they would recommend a four blader. Don't know if they were jsut trying to sell me the latest and greatest. I don't want to spend too much $$, as I'll probably trade up :-) after this season.... ( i know, I know - only after 2 seasons ) but you all know what it's like!!! lol Here is a recent reply from another vendor, Greatlakesskipper:
WWW.GREATLAKESSKIPPER.COM
"Hello, please look on our web site at MERCURY BRAVO I SST BOAT PROPELLER SET 15 1/4 x 24 P #BK013105GL5 We can sell you the one 24p Right hand prop only for 499.00 This is a 4 blade and the ideal prop for your boat! Please call us if interested. We also have the Mirage 3 blade RH prop 25p This prop would work also."

From all of it all the replies, looks like I could go with the 23P Mirage or try a 4 blade. Now I'm really confused! :-)

chuck21401 03-02-2005 08:55 AM

What about hydromotive props? I have read that the Bravo I prop is a "bow lifting" prop and the hydromotive is a "stern lifting" prop?

masi242 03-02-2005 02:30 PM

Welcome aboard, just to give my .02 I would go with a bravo 1 4 blade 22 pitch should help. You can also call Darin at Houston Prop very helpful. It`s good to have another 242 member :D

Thumper292 03-02-2005 03:03 PM

Welcome abord! I agree with masi242. I've been dealing with Daren at Houston propeller about props on my 292. He's great to talk to and VERY knowledgeable. He's an excellent source for information about props.

chuck21401 03-02-2005 03:13 PM

Not to give the horse another beating, but it seems to me that a 22 pitch Bravo I wouldn't be "enough" prop for a 502 engine, that a 24 pitch would offer more top end. I guess the solution is to see if you could try several props and see which works best with your setup.