Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Fountain (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/fountain-37/)
-   -   shorties on a single step (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/fountain/108906-shorties-single-step.html)

carney 07-31-2005 10:50 AM

shorties on a single step

Have any of you guys run shorties on a single step ? and have any pros and or cons. I am looking to switch from bravos to XRs with shorties.

dirtlawyer 08-01-2005 08:43 AM

Re: shorties on a single step

I had a 29 w/ a 525SC that I installed an Imco upper and -2 lower on - loved the way it handled - it tends to carry the bow level, no matter what the trim setting was. If you go with a shorty, you'll need a prop with bow lift and keep the bow light (i.e. keep the cooler towards the center/stern :rolleyes: ). Also - you will not need to trim the motors as much - I never went past 4 - 4.5 on the trim. The shortie solved my planing problem and allowed me to step up to a larger prop.

carney 08-01-2005 04:49 PM

My boat seams to be a little slow , I have been told it is due to having ext boxes and a stock drive . ext boxes tend to put the drives deeper in the water. I will have to pull the inspection cover and see where the heights are set. then buy a - height drive.

Ran-Dom 32 08-01-2005 07:24 PM

I know for a fact the newer 2001 & up 35 X are aprox. 2 inches higher than my '99 35 Classic - this is why you're seeing 496ho boats run upper 70's - let me know how you make out.

carney 08-02-2005 03:35 PM

I will keep you posted , I will call fountain today and see what the x demenison should be and go from there , I am working a deal to get new ones and trading my bravo's.

Ran-Dom 32 08-02-2005 03:48 PM

There has to be someone out there that has tried shorties on a '97 - 99 35 Single Step, that could share their results, I can not justify the cost without knowing for sure I'm going to have positive results.

carney 08-04-2005 03:24 PM

That is kind of what I thought. I get tired of being the one to buy and test and sell for half price when I fine I waisted my money. I buy props and as soon a some one knows I have them they want to try them. I snowmobile also and everyone wants to use my helix and springs and weights at my expense. Don"t get me wrong I like to help out But where is the guys that can help me out.??

carney 08-15-2005 09:33 PM

Well I got the boat on the trailer tonight and pulled the inspection cover on the ext box and sound that the box is mounted in the lowest hole bottom. I think this means the drive is higher, Can I go higher with a shorter drive or will I have problems getting on plane. The boat comes out like a jet ski now.

FOUNTAINATLAST 08-15-2005 09:37 PM

If you can get on plane good now (like a jetski), you will probably lose some but still be respectable..

candyman35 08-15-2005 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by carney
Well I got the boat on the trailer tonight and pulled the inspection cover on the ext box and sound that the box is mounted in the lowest hole bottom. I think this means the drive is higher, Can I go higher with a shorter drive or will I have problems getting on plane. The boat comes out like a jet ski now.

Are they Stelling boxes? When Fountain was installing Stelling boxes from the factory they used the top hole which raised the stock drive height 2". The engine was mounted 1" higher than stock.
Dan