Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Fountain (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/fountain-37/)
-   -   First improvements on 27 fever for speed (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/fountain/121813-first-improvements-27-fever-speed.html)

fountain1998 02-04-2006 09:27 AM

First improvements on 27 fever for speed

I bought a 1998 27 Fever 2 weeks ago. It has the 502 415HP engine. I am looking for ideas on minor $$ mods to increase speed. The previous owner told me that the boat is stock. The prop is stock. He told me he uses Mobil 1 synthetic oil and has a K & N filter. I have talked with Brett at BBBlades. Big help. He suggests a different prop that might increase speed 2 to 4 mph. This really sounds great. The owner has a picture of two handheld GPS'S showing 71.3 mph, while in boat running, with 15 gallons of fuel and two people, 5100 RPM. He told me this boat is 2 to 3 mph faster than other 502's for some reason. He also told me that there is "blocks" stopping the tabs from going past 3. He suggested the boat might pick up top end speed if these are removed. The Fountain dealer told me not to take them out. What are your thoughts on this and what are some of the "small changes" to increase speed?

1stfntn 02-05-2006 01:32 PM

Re: First improvements on 27 fever for speed

You can take the stops out on the tabs; however, you may need to slightly "drag" some tab at WOT with the drive trimmed out to keep from chine walking (at least I had to in my '03 27'). Normally I'd suggest labbing your prop (or getting a labbed prop), but it looks like you're already at max RPM, so you'd probably need them to add some pitch if you lab your current prop. If you pursue a new prop, contact Julie from ThrottleUp here on the board; they're great. Might pick up 2 or 3 mph, but will most likely loose cruise speed and hole shot. I had 496HO in my 27', so can't give much advice on 502 MPI's. Several friends who had 502 MPI's got upgrades from Arizona Speed and Marine, but I couldn't tell you how much $$$ or MPH increase. Maybe think about trying to turn your MPI into an HP500 EFI?? I'm sure others with 502's much wiser than me will chime in on engine upgrades.

LAKESIDE RESTORATIONS 02-05-2006 01:47 PM

If you dont mind spending the loot on superchargers, We can set you up with a nice package. For the money its a lot of bang for the buck.. Otherwise the info already given seems to be pointing you in a good direction.. Jamie :)

BAJA WILL 02-06-2006 08:13 AM

Fountain1998

Hate to tell you but a 1998 w 502mpi at 71.3 is dialed in pretty damn good. Now the real question is when you drive it is it doing that, I can tell you from over 500hours in 27 fountains, at 71mph they can chine walk, I don't really suggest you seeking more speed until you remove the tab stops and get used to driving through the chine walk, correcting by steering the opposite direction of the boat lean.

Also being that you have only had it for 2 weeks, you may want to get used to what you have first, 70+ can be very dangerious, think of it like a mototcycle.

Moving on once you feel comfortable with more speed, I suggest a whipple charger or Tyler Crockett up grade the 502 to around 550hp, and that will be more than enough HP for a 27.

WILL :drink: Best of luck and Congrats on your new ride your going to love it

fountain1998 02-06-2006 08:50 PM

Are those super chargers tough on engines? Would you do anything to the engine first to make sure it would hold up? You said to take the blocks out if I were to pursue more speed, why?
I used to race a drag bike for Vance & Hines racing. My bike was a street legal bike that went in the 8's at around 170mph in the quarter mile. The bike would run 195 on the street. I am ready for the extra speed. Thanks for your help.

Steve

BAJA WILL 02-07-2006 07:43 AM

Fountain1998

Without gtting into a pissing match here, you state you run motorcycles in 170mph range, OK where you ready after just owning that bike for 2 weeks? Dude, maybe you have more time in Fountains than I do I don't know, but how many times has the boat gotten away from you and you recovered at 70+ mph, Has your boat even chine walked on you yet? if not you wern't even doing 70 yet (the speedos are 4mph fast), I am just saying get used to what you have and please becareful :drink:

Again moving on, removing the blocks/stops, will allow the K-planes to rise above the flow of water leaving the hull at high speed, therefore less dragg on boat.

As for superchargers, yea they are hard on a motor but its the price you pay for speed.

I am sure me and fellow owners on here would love to see a pic of your new ride :D

WILL

LAKESIDE RESTORATIONS 02-07-2006 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by fountain1998
Are those super chargers tough on engines? Would you do anything to the engine first to make sure it would hold up? You said to take the blocks out if I were to pursue more speed, why?
I used to race a drag bike for Vance & Hines racing. My bike was a street legal bike that went in the 8's at around 170mph in the quarter mile. The bike would run 195 on the street. I am ready for the extra speed. Thanks for your help.

Steve

The superchargers are ok on most stock engines as long as the boost is kept low & you dont abuse it.

pullmytrigger 02-07-2006 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by 27Fountain
Fountain1998

Without gtting into a pissing match here, you state you run motorcycles in 170mph range, OK where you ready after just owning that bike for 2 weeks? Dude, maybe you have more time in Fountains than I do I don't know, but how many times has the boat gotten away from you and you recovered at 70+ mph, Has your boat even chine walked on you yet? if not you wern't even doing 70 yet (the speedos are 4mph fast), I am just saying get used to what you have and please becareful :drink:

WILL

dont take offence but thats some good advice

and use your lanyard

fountain1998 02-07-2006 01:29 PM

27FOUNTAIN First run was 11.80@115mph. You are right. It took me about two years, $$$ and nitrous oxide to get to that speed. The fastest boat I have owned to date only had the 454 in it. It would run 60 mph max (GPS). So you are suggesting to take the blocks out. This will help?

The boat is still at Raymonds, lake of the ozarks. They are fixing a knick on the beak, adding a dual battery switch & battery, and putting one of the drive showers on it before I pick it up. I just checked their website, but they removed it. The only thing I have to show for it is a Fountain coffee cup and a tee shirt and two titles from Charlene. They are great people.

BAJA WILL 02-08-2006 07:32 AM

Fountain1998

Taking the blocks out will only help if they are in the way of the water flow leaving the boat, I want to stress, taking them out should get you say 1mph maybe (you may see no gain?), but it will make the boat less stable at 70+ mph,

One of the simplest things you can do is swap props, a 1998 27 should have come with a LH 24 Hydromotive prop, you may be able to gain a couple mph by switching to a 25 Hydro, lab finished, probably 2mph.

Also taking the bed, carpet, and anything not bolted down out, will usually gain some speed, I have done this on radar runs, obviously running low on fuel will get you some speed also, however let me warn you Fountain fuel gauges are horribly inaccurate, when the low fuel light turns on, you are out of gas, like you better be really close to a marina.

As mentioned before wear you lanyard (kill switch), I actually converted mine to a purple aftermarket seadoo lanyard to match my boat and feels more comfortable on my arm.

Now if you want to up grade you stereo I can help there also!!

WILL :drink:

fountain1998 02-13-2006 09:23 AM

27FOUNTAIN,
I do want to beef up the stereo. It has a Kenwood am/fm with CD and 4 speakers. It needs more speakers somewhere. Where do you suggest putting them? What about a sub and amp? I had the dealer put in a second battery in case I drain the battery. Is there a control that can be positioned by the drivers seat to control the radio, so you don't have to go below?

Steve

sleeper_dave 02-13-2006 09:40 AM

My 27 fountain has all the speakers in the back, two where the lighted fountain emblems were, the two subs under the rear seat and the two 6x9's on the panel by the rear passengers feet. It sounds good in the boat but i can hardly hear it from the water. Since i spend a lot of time in the water i need to come up with something else.

just something to consider when you mount your speakers.

snielsen 02-13-2006 10:01 AM

getting a kickin stereo in a boat is tough, because the boat has no roof outside and the sound is not trapped so you need alot of power. :cool: one very important thing to remember is to keep all amps off the floor. mount them on the side wall so they don't get wet when you get caught in the rain. the biggest things to remember is water is everywhere and will ruin your whole setup and hours of labor, also the boat is "catching air" and things like to rattle lose so make sure everything is solid and all connections are soldered and sealed (no black tape). good luck.

p.s. if you mount the subs under the back seat don't forget to box in the backs of the sub>>>the seat does not qualify as box! :rolleyes:

sleeper_dave 02-13-2006 12:44 PM

My 6x9s don't have a box, ... but my subs are in boxes under the back seat. I want to move them somewhere else because they eat up usable storage space and the boxes get wet when i wash the boat (time for new boxes).

Under the seat is not a recommended location for any stereo equipment, IMO. Too wet, way too low a sound stage, and firing forward so no good if you're hanging out on the island or in the water behind the boat.

If you could come up with a nice box that tucked under the windshield (my boat has the old black windshield/fairing) and fired toward the back of the boat i think that would work out well. Tough to get something there that doesn't look like crap though.

snielsen 02-13-2006 01:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
its tough>> i put the subs under the seat on my last boat and they worked pretty good. i had 2 1000watt pioneer premier with a 2100watt Rockford Fosgate amp that hit pretty hard. also had 4 4way pioneer premier 6 inch for the highs and mids.....having the subs under the seat is a pain, but if you want super bass thats the only way! as long as there far enough the floor its not bad and bolt them on like fort knocks :D I'm in the process of doing it on my 1990 27 fever.......lots of trying to bend yourself in positions that don't feel great and trying to gets drills where they don't belong

heres a pick of my old boat that i did myself

pullmytrigger 02-13-2006 02:36 PM

Ive heard of guys removing the mirror and putting a single BIG sub way up front in the beak where our non existant anchor locker would be........my stereo guy said he could fab up a custom box and put it low on the side of the boat behind the port bolster........On mine I could also put one in the kick plate in the vertical section below the glovebox in front of the passenger.....PMT

snielsen 02-13-2006 04:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
thats not a bad idea>>>>the only thing you would have to do is maybe figure out a way to adjust the volume in the cabin separate from the cockpit area.....i guess you could run a output switch from the amp that is powering the cabin sub to adjust the output...that would be important, because you would want it loud outside and the in-closed area in the cabin would be crazy in comparison.....but if you did both that would be the best situation.....post some pics if you do it...i would like to see how your guy does it(cabin or cockpit. if you put a 12 in the cabin it would pound like crazy! :evilb:

p.s. heres a pic of the switch on my old boat (real lowkey)

pullmytrigger 02-13-2006 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by snielsen
thats not a bad idea>>>>.....post some pics if you do it...i would like to see how your guy does it

It will be awhile.......Ive got a garage/shop to build and new motors to put in........doug

My plan is to pull the dinette and put a facing seat in to match the other side (its a 29) so I'd probably go the port kick plate route......

Orion 27Fever 02-14-2006 12:41 AM

Have you ran the boat yet? My 01 has the same set up and I have not been able to break 70 yet. I would say 71+ is set up pretty good.

Brett

BAJA WILL 02-14-2006 12:36 PM

Yes may be able to help some of you on the stereo.

My current set ups is as follows.

Sony in dash CD, w/ Changer w/ Ipod connector
Sony Wired remote mounted on my dash (this is cool)
4 Kicker 6 1/2 speakers in cockpit
2 MB quart Tweeters in cockpit
2 RCA all weather out door speakers (These actually sound really good)
2 Kenwood speakers in cabin (from fountain)
1 Pioneer 12" sub in sealed box located under passanger bolster.
1 Rockford Punch 200 amp
1 Rockford Punch 40 amp

I will try to post some pics of all this real soon.

WILL :D

BAJA WILL 02-14-2006 12:53 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Amp Mounted in back seat, rear speakers, dash w/ wired remote, MB quart tweeters, front speakers, of course matching wheel and lanyard.

BAJA WILL 02-14-2006 01:00 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here is a pic of the sony wired remote on my dash I was able to squeeze it in above the throttle also, you may not be able to tell but I carpeted my sub box w/ purple carpet so it matches my carpet, (wich is out of boat right now)

snielsen 02-14-2006 01:29 PM

looks great---- does it slam? ive never tried outdoor speakers>

BAJA WILL 02-14-2006 02:39 PM

Yes it is very loud, and yes the outdoor speakers were a big surprise on how well they do work (actually louder than the others) :evilb: I just hooked them up to the amp like the rest, mounted them on the dash with Velcrow, (it holds and you don't see it)

My system get the girls dancing on the bow and stern :evilb:

WILL

99fever27 02-14-2006 07:10 PM

Hey Will,
I have the same boat but a '99. looking to do some of the same upgrades my self. How hard was it to do the wiring on the tweets, and the remote on the dash. Is it hard to fish the speaker wires and lead wire off the remote?

BAJA WILL 02-15-2006 07:23 AM

The wireing is really easy (runs through the hollow sides in the boat, can be accessed by the storage doors, the hard part is cutting the holes. I actually used a circular drill bit (like used to cut out door knob holes) however looking back on it a dremel tool would have made life allot easier and I did have to take off the steering wheel to get a straight bead on the wall. Wiring the remote was a *****I think I had to drill 2 or 3 holes for it and ran it under the trim in the cabin then drilled hole through to under dash, then you need to drill two holes in the dash to mount it. Its a full weekend of work, may not seem like it but it is, because I went really slow didn't want to scratch anything and measured my holes like 12 times and cut once.

I would highly reccomend doing a sub box like mine other than putting the subs in the rear seat, It does hit harder (unless you seal off the bench and make it a sealed box) plus I can take it out when I sell the boat if the next person doesn't want it. I will say this I am in the process of rebuilding my box because I didn't water seal it :rolleyes: so before any of you build one please PM me and I will help you out. :D

WILL

fountain1998 02-15-2006 11:05 AM

ORION27FEVER The previous owner has a picture, in the boat, of two GPS's at 71.3mph. I hope he is honest, but you know how that goes.

99fever27 02-15-2006 06:55 PM

Thanks for the info Will just the info I was looking for! :drink:

US1 Fountain 02-15-2006 09:27 PM

My boat has built in sub from Fountain in the corner under the rear seat. Pretty nice install too, glassed in before the deck was installed to the hull. Sucks that it is only an 8" kicker though. To modify it to a 10" would require tons of work. Anyone else have the factory sub?

BAJA WILL 02-16-2006 08:08 AM

99fever27

OH if I had it to do over, I would have gone with all MB Quart mids and tweeters, but honestly the outdoor speakers sound the best for the money they are RCA's but I am sure plenty of companies make good ones, mine have 3" woffer 1"tweeter in each

OH and I wouldn't even bother with a changer now just get a CD player that have Ipod inputs.
:D
WILL

Mikey Likes It 02-18-2006 09:22 AM

Fountain98 I think I saw your boat down at LOTO when I dropped my 29 fever off. Very clean boat. My 29 has the stereo control on the drivers side if you want to take a look at it while its down there. By the way I just changed out the stereo and the speakers to a new one because the old one was kinda of on its last leg. If you need help let me know and I will help you run the wire you need for the remote. I just bought mine the end of October so I will also be trying new upgrades. Are you going to boat at LOTO? If so maybe we can hook up. Us Fountain people need to stick together after all it gets lonely riding out in front of everyone by yourself.

corbvette 02-19-2006 10:17 AM

I have 6.5 speakers in the stock locations and made my own new speaker locations....I have 2 sets of JL Audio 7.7 seperates mounted up high between the fountain emblem and the front bolster seats so when you are sitting in the back seat the speakers are not blasting in your ear. The other location is on the sides of the dash port and starboard of the entrance of the cabin..they face each other but really bring the sound satge up higher You get better sound travelwhen you are in the water hanging out too.

system:
2 sets JL Auidio 7.7 seperates
2 sets MB Quartz 6.5 coax.
3 JL Audio 10's Under seat (sealed off on sides)
three soundstream amps
3 optima yellow top batterys

System sounds awsome I love the JL seperates mounted up high!

I will try to find some pics of new speaker locations

corbvette 02-19-2006 10:29 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I found some pics... the system is in a 2000 32'

BAJA WILL 02-20-2006 10:18 AM

Corbvette

Thats really cool location to mount those speakers, wish I had thought of that before :D

WILL

fountain1998 02-21-2006 06:09 PM

famous12345,
Boat is at Raymond's LOTO. I hope it run's as good as it looks.