Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Fountain (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/fountain-37/)
-   -   2 Tie Bars on a Fountian (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/fountain/144429-2-tie-bars-fountian.html)

BZ 11-05-2006 09:24 AM

2 Tie Bars on a Fountian

Question: I was thinking of adding a 2nd tie bar on my 42 EX with staggered 525's. I was wondering if anybody has ever done this or know of any problems this might cause. I currently have Latham steering and XR's. I spoke with Latham and they said that the upper tie bar is mounted off center and the lower mounts for the tie bar would be on center, and they would work against each other??? But my mech. showed my the set-up he is talking about on a boat that has been running it for 5+ years with no problems???? I like the looks of the 2nd tie bar but I don't what to have problems???? Anybody???? BZ

brian41 11-05-2006 11:04 AM

Re: 2 Tie Bars on a Fountian

1 Attachment(s)
These have been on for 10 years and no problems and I am doing a similar setup on mine but these are on 32" centers and I am not sure if the staggered drives being closer together would make a difference. Brian

10x 11-05-2006 06:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Leave it alone, don't mess with it. I've got it on my drives, but only because that's the way I bought the boat. I figure there's 2 incase I lose one, these's a back up one. :rolleyes:

The #6 drives only have 1 bar, but the #5's got 2, :eek: go figure that one.

Roger 11-05-2006 08:36 PM

We ran two on our raceboat a 38 with staggered 525s. No problems.

bleek 11-05-2006 08:43 PM

bob was that set-up on a 98 35' lightning at jeff's shop? if it was it is my brother's boat, and he has experienced no problems with this set-up.

BZ 11-05-2006 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by bleek
bob was that set-up on a 98 35' lightning at jeff's shop? if it was it is my brother's boat, and he has experienced no problems with this set-up.

yes...BZ

BZ 11-05-2006 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by 10x
Leave it alone, don't mess with it. I've got it on my drives, but only because that's the way I bought the boat. I figure there's 2 incase I lose one, these's a back up one. :rolleyes:

The #6 drives only have 1 bar, but the #5's got 2, :eek: go figure that one.

Frank I am thinking one upper one lower....BZ

adk61 11-09-2006 10:04 AM

the best way to run dual tie bars is with both on center, the use of wing plates on the upper set up would allow the tie bar to be centered to the rear of the plate, that way they dont fight eachother in their natural range of motion. the only reason you need this much rigidity is if you're making big power and the drives are trying to pry each other apart. this has been my experience anyways. just my 2 cents worth, do what you think is best!!!

BZ 11-09-2006 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by adk61
the best way to run dual tie bars is with both on center, the use of wing plates on the upper set up would allow the tie bar to be centered to the rear of the plate, that way they dont fight eachother in their natural range of motion. the only reason you need this much rigidity is if you're making big power and the drives are trying to pry each other apart. this has been my experience anyways. just my 2 cents worth, do what you think is best!!!

I like the look but I don't want to do anything that will do harm to the drives...ect....BZ

32storm 11-12-2006 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Bob Zubik
Question: I was thinking of adding a 2nd tie bar on my 42 EX with staggered 525's. I was wondering if anybody has ever done this or know of any problems this might cause. I currently have Latham steering and XR's. I spoke with Latham and they said that the upper tie bar is mounted off center and the lower mounts for the tie bar would be on center, and they would work against each other??? But my mech. showed my the set-up he is talking about on a boat that has been running it for 5+ years with no problems???? I like the looks of the 2nd tie bar but I don't what to have problems???? Anybody???? BZ

The geometry will get funky with a off center bar up top, and a saddle type on center on the bottom. The one you saw, were both bars on the centerline? I'd leave it alone, why break something that's not broken?