Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
27 Fever Vs. 25 Outlaw >

27 Fever Vs. 25 Outlaw

Notices

27 Fever Vs. 25 Outlaw

Old 02-28-2008, 12:30 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i cant believe a baha is heavier than the fountain , although i dont know . but i do know that my buddys 25 comes in hot to the docks once and a while , and i can grab that boat and stop it a heck of alot easier than my old 27 fountain , to me it seemed like the boat was lighter than chit ! i can spin that baha around in the wter by hand heck of alot esier than the fountain would also !
Old 02-28-2008, 12:41 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fountain. No question. Construction, speed, style, hardware, resale, fuel economy......I could go on and on. The fact of the matter is, Rob Freeman was right, we're not really comparing apples to apples here. Fountain hulls have foam cores where Bajas have balsa. Fountain decks are screwed and glued to the hulls, Bajas are only glued. Fountain has a stepped hull, notched transom, pad keel, Baja is a straight 24 degree vee. All Fountains willl come with dual hydraulic steering standard, Baja won't (there's a HUGE safety item). Fountain has large K-Planes, Bajas have tiny little tabs. Fountain's fiberglass is superior to Baja's (I won't get into that).

This list could become massive, but the fact of the matter is Fountains are superior in almost every aspect. I know a LOT of Baja 25 OL owners, and I'm not knocking them, but most of them will agree with me despite the boat they own. The 25 OL is a very affordable boat, and you can have a lot of fun on them, as I have with many friends. But, just like in anything else, you get what you pay for. There's a reason no other manufacturer can make a faster v-bottom than Fountain. Trust me, you'll never look back, except for maybe to see who's trying to catch you.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:54 AM
Registered

Fountain doesn't just screw and glue, they glass the deck to the hull also. Very big difference.

The newer ones may use plexus adhesive, which Formula says is stronger than glass, but the review i just read on the 48 EC in boating says plexus plus glass tabbing.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:15 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by sleeper_dave
Fountain doesn't just screw and glue, they glass the deck to the hull also. Very big difference.

The newer ones may use plexus adhesive, which Formula says is stronger than glass, but the review i just read on the 48 EC in boating says plexus plus glass tabbing.
so I'm going to guess they don't have the problems that some Baja's had with the floors developing cracks and spider cracks after being used.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:26 AM
Registered

most performance boats do,irrespective of make but gelcoat cracks are easy and cheap to fix. Structural cracks are a whole different story.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:48 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've owned both, both bought 1 yr. used, with 110 - 120 hrs.
See below.

2004 Baja 33 Outlaw, 496MAG HO's, decent fit/finish when bought, quite nice ride, excellent and comfortable driving position with wind hitting me above hairline (I'm 6'1"), max speed 72 mph GPS with labbed props. Cabin remained new smelling through my ownership. Back seat got loose after the hinges cracked, repaired under warranty. Then the grab handles got loose. Passenger seat loose had to retighten. Polk/MOMO subwoofers came loose and mounting screws squeeked, had to retighten. "In gel" graphics on front deck noticibly faded after one season out in Texas sun and had to compound to bring shine back. Cockpit floor became brown with use and no standard cleaner I found could restore the pure white color. Floor developed spider cracks. Swim platform paint corroded off in 3 -4 mos., replaced under warranty. Steering hoses leaked slightly (a little drip pool after a few days storage in the shed), retightening with two wrenches didn't work, never fixed. No anchor locker in front.

2005 Fountain 42 Executioner, 525EFI's, excellent hardware fit/finish to this day, superb ride, good - excellent driving position with wind hitting me at eye level ( have to stoop or reposition slightly to get wind to my forehead), max speed 85 mph GPS non-labbed props. No hardware loosening to date. Cockpit floor soils with use but is easily whitened back to normal with off the shelf products. No spider cracks. Carpet in storage area floor came loose and had to be reglued, trim bead in cabin came loose and needed to be put back in and glued, graphics unchanged, no steering leaks, huge trim tabs stock, has anchor locker in front with bolt-down anchor mount. This is the superior product.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:56 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Beak42
I've owned both, both bought 1 yr. used, with 110 - 120 hrs.
See below.

2004 Baja 33 Outlaw, 496MAG HO's, decent fit/finish when bought, quite nice ride, excellent and comfortable driving position with wind hitting me above hairline (I'm 6'1"), max speed 72 mph GPS with labbed props. Cabin remained new smelling through my ownership. Back seat got loose after the hinges cracked, repaired under warranty. Then the grab handles got loose. Passenger seat loose had to retighten. Polk/MOMO subwoofers came loose and mounting screws squeeked, had to retighten. "In gel" graphics on front deck noticibly faded after one season out in Texas sun and had to compound to bring shine back. Cockpit floor became brown with use and no standard cleaner I found could restore the pure white color. Floor developed spider cracks. Swim platform paint corroded off in 3 -4 mos., replaced under warranty. Steering hoses leaked slightly (a little drip pool after a few days storage in the shed), retightening with two wrenches didn't work, never fixed. No anchor locker in front.

2005 Fountain 42 Executioner, 525EFI's, excellent hardware fit/finish to this day, superb ride, good - excellent driving position with wind hitting me at eye level ( have to stoop or reposition slightly to get wind to my forehead), max speed 85 mph GPS non-labbed props. No hardware loosening to date. Cockpit floor soils with use but is easily whitened back to normal with off the shelf products. No spider cracks. Carpet in storage area floor came loose and had to be reglued, trim bead in cabin came loose and needed to be put back in and glued, graphics unchanged, no steering leaks, huge trim tabs stock, has anchor locker in front with bolt-down anchor mount. This is the superior product.
good review on both makes thank you.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:00 AM
Registered

Over 400 hours on a 27, some of it in ugly water. The screws on my ladder came loose, so far thats it. Cant remember all the things a friend told me came loose on his baja. And I really like the lines of the baja. Add full hydraulic steering, electric bolsters and real tabs to the baja and the price will be close. These are standard on fountain. Good luck, JC
Old 02-28-2008, 10:04 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only screw loose in my boat is the driver!!!
Old 02-28-2008, 10:05 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by fountain27ho496
Over 400 hours on a 27, some of it in ugly water. The screws on my ladder came loose, so far thats it. Cant remember all the things a friend told me came loose on his baja. And I really like the lines of the baja. Add full hydraulic steering, electric bolsters and real tabs to the baja and the price will be close. These are standard on fountain. Good luck, JC
I don't understand why Baja's don't come with Hydraulic steering. I'm not sure if I would want to be doing 60+ mph without it.

Quick Reply: 27 Fever Vs. 25 Outlaw

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.