Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Fountain (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/fountain-37/)
-   -   Replacing carpet in cuddy (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/fountain/186386-replacing-carpet-cuddy.html)

convincor253 05-10-2008 06:25 PM

Replacing carpet in cuddy

I want to replace the cabin carpet in my 1998 Fever. It does not look like an easy task to me. Can any of you give me some advice on the best way to do this?
Thanks!

US1 Fountain 05-10-2008 07:21 PM

Gotta remove the seat bottoms, closet wall and sink cabinet if you want to replace all of it. Carpet is put down 1st, then everything else screw over it.

convincor253 05-10-2008 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain (Post 2554086)
Gotta remove the seat bottoms, closet wall and sink cabinet if you want to replace all of it. Carpet is put down 1st, then everything else screw over it.

I didn't think it wasn't going to be easy.
Thanks!

poiuy10 05-10-2008 08:50 PM

just did mine and yes... take out all the furniture. makes for ease of moving around. I used latex floor adhesive and weighted the carpet down after gluing it.... to make sure its not wavy. good luck, it took lots of little pieces for all the corners and curves.

RaggedEdge 05-11-2008 08:37 AM

Little tip from a guy in the flooring biz, when you purchase your adhesive go to a flooring store and have them set you up with a top line premium version, tell them you want one with a "fast grab". Pay attention to the instructions in terms of "open time" and the trowel "notch" size, you'll save yourself the headaches of chasing bubbles and chit. A proper adhesive will grab and hold when you place the carpet into it if used correctly. While taking the seats out is a good idea, you might be able to undercut the old carpet arount the cabinets etc and skip that part, we have done some boats and don't get that carried away, my installers are very talented and the results have been as good as or better than new. Good luck with the project.

Flooring Store, not the Depot or Lowes, their people generally don't have a clue what they are talking about when it comes to techinical chit.

convincor253 05-11-2008 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by RaggedEdge (Post 2554340)
Little tip from a guy in the flooring biz, when you purchase your adhesive go to a flooring store and have them set you up with a top line premium version, tell them you want one with a "fast grab". Pay attention to the instructions in terms of "open time" and the trowel "notch" size, you'll save yourself the headaches of chasing bubbles and chit. A proper adhesive will grab and hold when you place the carpet into it if used correctly. While taking the seats out is a good idea, you might be able to undercut the old carpet arount the cabinets etc and skip that part, we have done some boats and don't get that carried away, my installers are very talented and the results have been as good as or better than new. Good luck with the project.

Flooring Store, not the Depot or Lowes, their people generally don't have a clue what they are talking about when it comes to techinical chit.

Ragged Edge & poiuy10,
Thanks for the very helpful information. It is always nice to talk to someone that has done it before and to a professional that can add attention to details. I do appreciate it!

ALL IN 05-12-2008 03:52 PM

how hard is it to get out the cooler / sink cabinet i was trying to make mine white was thinking about painting it or putting laminate over it?i already did the carpet and left it in just took more time to cut the carpet thanks for any info.

poiuy10 05-12-2008 04:22 PM

All In, I would have another person with you while attemping that... kinda clumsy and awkward. not bad to come out, but going back in the same is a bitc*. nice looking ride, ever make to LOTO ?

ALL IN 05-12-2008 06:40 PM

thanks alot!no i never made it out there but i was on my way there to buy a boat and half way out the guy calls me and says he had a leak or some bull**** and his house was for sale and i would have to turn around and come back another weekend then i came home and bought this boat from california instead was bummed would have liked to see the lake!!!!!do you know if it comes out in one piece?

US1 Fountain 05-12-2008 07:34 PM

I had to unbolt the countertop from the cabinet to get mine out thru the door as the door way is narrower than the assembled unit. If I recall correctly, the base just fit thru the door itself. Actually made it easier to man handle too.
Take some time, but not hard. Mine had several long screws bolting the base to the floor. With the top off, those screws where easy to get to.