Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Fountain (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/fountain-37/)
-   -   Cabin door gas shock??? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/fountain/188544-cabin-door-gas-shock.html)

tblrklakemo 06-10-2008 12:36 PM

I ordered mine through raymonds boats at loto. they keep those things in stock.

mcprodesign 06-10-2008 12:51 PM

Our local boat shop had a few cheapies in stock.. It is a uneversal size I believe..

StrikinLightnin 07-20-2008 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by sommerfliesby (Post 2584985)
Oooooo, Bill...I got baaaaaad news for you if you think it's gonna take Dennis like 10 minutes to actually FIND something in his shop!

Just ordered 3 of the things (heavier-duty, tho) for $11 each thanks to Candyman's recommendation. Company was SPD Hardware...spdhardware.com. Part Number is spd-gsni-4900-60 for anyone else who might be wondering. I'm also gonna have an extra one if anybody wants one (Straight Jacket wants the other).

Yo Bro,,,,,,
Still got dat extra gas shock??
I've been tourchuring Deb for long enough....
d

bob_t 07-20-2008 02:33 PM

If your "old" gas shock was one of the earlier style with larger diameter piston rod and non-removable ends, the "new" ones from Fountain, and probably the SPD's that you ordered are slightly different. The "new" ones are about 1/8" - 3/16" longer closed length, and it is just enough to cause problems. It will either just bend the metal attachment on the cabin door, or break the plastic attachment hard mounted on the cabin frame, or crack the cabin door. Don't ask me how I know. :rolleyes: If you are lucky, it will only bend the metal attachment tab on the cabin lid. Fountain changed to the "newer" style in 2003 timeframe. The easiest way to tell the difference is piston rod diameter and the new ones have large round ends. We have put them on 4 or 5 pre-2003 boats and they all had some degree of problem. My friend made a bunch of cabin door attachment metal tabs with the hole moved forward 1/8 inch. No more problems!

ALL IN 07-23-2008 06:11 AM

does anyone have the part number for the correct shock?my boat is 1.5 hrs away and dummy me forgot it laying on the dash when i left.i found one at west marine but they will take 10 days to get it.any help much appreciated!!!!!!!

sommerfliesby 07-23-2008 06:24 AM

See my above post...I haven't seen the problem that bob t mentions, but my door is not original to the boat, either.

Sorry Dennis...I sold the one extra I had.

ALL IN 07-23-2008 06:30 AM

mine is from fountain just updated to white .

Carder 08-17-2008 10:21 AM

I have been needing one for 2 seasons... I read this forum, and got motivated to get one, finally. I went on the website that was recommended, but although they are $11.00, there is a $30.00 minimum order requirement!!! No wonder you bought 3 of them.
Anyway, I did the unheard of thing, and called customer service at Fountain. They were $12.00, they were in stock, and I had it in 2 days, AND it fit perfectly.
...Who'd a thought to contact the factory??? Hmmm.
Carder

MM1 08-17-2008 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by PARADISE ISLAND (Post 2585326)
I'm on my 4th one gas piston goes bad after no time at all :mad:Get a 50lb instead of the 20lb shock!:hitfan:

I have the 40lb shock intsead of the 20 and more problems

mcprodesign 08-18-2008 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by MM1 (Post 2655626)
I have the 40lb shock intsead of the 20 and more problems

Can I get one of those heavy duty shocks.. The local boat shop cheapy is allready fried.
Chad