Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Fountain (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/fountain-37/)
-   -   Anyone Use Their Rear Saddle Tanks??? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/fountain/191827-anyone-use-their-rear-saddle-tanks.html)

StrikinLightnin 07-24-2008 12:59 PM

Anyone Use Their Rear Saddle Tanks???

I have a '96 42 Lightning with the rear saddle tanks.
Used them when I first purchased the boat but didn't like the ride attitude.
It had 4 blade Hydro's and tended to drag the stern through the water.
The sides around the vents where always water sprayed.
Now have p5/30's with great stern lift.
Was thinking about gassing up the saddle tanks before I slip the boat for a long weekend.
Extra gas from the street is cheaper but don't need to have a crappy ride just to save a buck.
Wanted input from others weather or not to go this route.

d

mcprodesign 07-24-2008 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by StrikinLightnin (Post 2633834)
I have a '96 42 Lightning with the rear saddle tanks.
Used them when I first purchased the boat but didn't like the ride attitude.
It had 4 blade Hydro's and tended to drag the stern through the water.
The sides around the vents where always water sprayed.
Now have p5/30's with great stern lift.
Was thinking about gassing up the saddle tanks before I slip the boat for a long weekend.
Extra gas from the street is cheaper but don't need to have a crappy ride just to save a buck.
Wanted input from others weather or not to go this route.

d

Yeah I got em..I just use them on the long trips..If your gonna use the fuel .Why not .save the money and hassel of a lake fill.

Also I use them by putting a few gallons in one ..That way I can run my main tank complelety down without wondering if I can get back to the dock.

ROADHOG 07-24-2008 02:02 PM

Yes, Use them on Poker Runs and Long trips. Mine only hold 35 gallons each and at 60MPH it does not take long to empty them. Getting on plane is a BIG PAIN IN THE ASS with a full load of fuel, but what can one due. I always use my aft tanks first then run on the main's when needed.

tomtbone1993 07-24-2008 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by mcprodesign (Post 2633902)

Also I use them by putting a few gallons in one ..That way I can run my main tank complelety down without wondering if I can get back to the dock.

I am going to clean mine out and use them for the same reason. The Fountain fuel sendors suck. The gauge shows 1/2 a tank and I better find a gas station quick "triples"

gerritm 07-24-2008 03:32 PM

I always keep 10 -20 gallons in them (30 gallon capacity) just to make sure I make back to the gas dock. Gas gauges tend to drop in a hurry past 3/4 of a tank. I have not noticed any problems getting up on plane with the fuel in the saddle tanks. I run labbed Maximus 30P.

BZ 07-24-2008 04:09 PM

I have next to no gas in them and it has been that way most of the year. I agree with a FULL load of fuel planing is even more of a pain in the azz. I seems to me with less fuel in the back the boat planes quicker.. I run 32 Bravo's and 525's.....

Single With Twins 07-24-2008 06:21 PM

I have never put fuel in mine, my trips and/or poker runs are fine with the main....not much left over afterwards mind you.....

gerritm 07-25-2008 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by BZ (Post 2634027)
I have next to no gas in them and it has been that way most of the year. I agree with a FULL load of fuel planing is even more of a pain in the azz. I seems to me with less fuel in the back the boat planes quicker.. I run 32 Bravo's and 525's.....

I had that problem with the 32P Bravo's. They would blow out. I went to a 28P Maximus, unlabbed and the boat jumped on plane and ran great, but was just on the rev limiter. I had the 30P labbed by Mercury and they work well, but not as good as the unlabbed 28P getting on plane and are at about 5100 @ WOT.

tomtbone1993 07-25-2008 12:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here is a pic of me running out of gas, courtsey of my boys.

From OSO

Left to right
Wstultz with the OSO shirt
BigAndy behind Wstultz
Trojan-Man the bald guy
Spk1 the gay guy on the right
RColter taking the picture and towing me back....

gerritm 07-25-2008 01:20 PM

:rolleyes:Better clean out those tanks. Never a good idea to run out of gas in front of the whole crew. How many of the Conroe guys are going to Destin?