Powder coated rail touch up >

Powder coated rail touch up

Notices

Powder coated rail touch up

Old 03-07-2009, 04:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Powder coated rail touch up

Ok, I have searched the forum for an answer to no avail. My rails are starting to show some wear and some of the powder coat is coming off. Does anyone have a decent solution to this problem that does not involve rail removal? I have searched about for touch-up paint, etc., but I know powder coat ain't paint. Anyone? Thanks!!!
Old 03-08-2009, 03:01 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

seaweasel i've got the same problem most of all the powder coating has came off on my rails, ive really just been tryin to figure out how to get it all removed, its comes off in flakes but its still a pain tryin to get it all off
Old 03-08-2009, 03:52 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I stripped the PC off every rail, grab handle and the seat base frames and polished them. Was a long job. The PC always looked dirty to me and had a few chips from the snaps. Looks so much better now.

Touch up with paint is a temp fix. Depends on what type of results you are after/willing to settle for.

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 12-02-2011 at 11:12 AM.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:42 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Us1 that's how I feel about mine! What did you use to get it all off, having problems around the joints & welds, I'd rather not take off the rails & handels if possible
Old 03-08-2009, 08:13 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry, but they'll have to come off if you want the PC off. Not really hard to remove, just takes some time. The polishing was a job though. After I stripped them, I then used sand paper to sand them smooth. They appeared to have a glass bead texture to them. I assumed for the PC to stick?? Once I got them sanded good and smooth with a fair shine, hit them with a couple different buffing wheels and polishing sticks. I'm sure a pro would be able to polish in 1/2 the time it took me.

I soaked mine in a narrow tray filled with acetone. Let 'r soak a couple minutes, the PC'ing just bubbled up and peeled off.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:17 PM
Registered

On my powerquest I would always use a small touch up brush and some color matched paint if it was just a small repair. This is what they would do at the marina as well.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:42 AM
Registered

I have also had great results with aircraft remover. I used is on aluminum to remove the PC and like US1, it just bubbled and came off. The stuff burns your skin thou!
Old 03-10-2009, 08:52 PM

SW,

I have a few nicks on my windshield trim and Shogren suggested trying Krylon Gloss White for minor touchup. I have a can but haven't tried it yet.

Another member painted a 38 or 42 last year and posted pix on the board. They sanded and painted the rub rail and wind screen frame in place and it looked pretty good.

No real short cuts I guess
Old 03-10-2009, 08:57 PM
Registered

For white fountain powdercoat, rustoleum gloss white (can not spray) marine is a great match.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:22 AM
Registered

Lacquer thinner will also remove powder coat. I have stripped powder coated items and painted with base/clear. This allows you to match graphic colors easily. This has actually lasted longer than the original powdercoat.

Quick Reply: Powder coated rail touch up

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.