Gettin annoyed - no water pressure after winter >

Gettin annoyed - no water pressure after winter

Notices

Gettin annoyed - no water pressure after winter

Old 04-09-2009, 07:35 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
I installed flush tees on my boat. Best thing I ever did. Don't even have to close off the hose to drive. Simply attach the garden hose to the flush fitting, turn on the water. Water will flow out the drive. Then start the motor. The suction from the seawater pump will pull the water towards it and on thru the motor. No valves, no muffs, no problem.

Where did you cut the "T" into the line?
Old 04-10-2009, 05:02 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The no water pressure thing is a 496 issue we ran into it all the time the system gets air bound and cant purge itsself on a muff, 2 things we have done 1 it will pick up water if you take it to a ramp and put the stearn in the water the pressure/water line of the rear of the boat below the water forces the water up to the pump.The second is we remove the feed line to the water pump and made a adapter to hook a line direct to the rear of the pump. oddly enough Merc says they have never heard of this but we saw it all the time in the spring or if the boat sits for a while after drain down hope this helps!!
Old 04-10-2009, 05:31 AM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by blownincome
The second is we remove the feed line to the water pump and made a adapter to hook a line direct to the rear of the pump

Radiator hose with a " J " shaped section, cut it as you see fit, couple of hardware store fittings to adapt to a hose fitting, and you're good to go! Have one in the boat chit box, works well.

Bob you're just one of those McGuiver types, like myself. Nothing that can't be ni;;er-rigged if you put your mind to it. I should add to the above that if you can't find the right fittings, a roll of duct tape will work for the connections.

Last edited by RaggedEdge; 04-10-2009 at 05:35 AM.
Old 04-10-2009, 08:06 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Originally Posted by RaggedEdge
Where did you cut the "T" into the line?
Installed in the inlet hose right before the seawater pump inlet. Just a simple tee. Then a hose directly to the flush fittings. No valves or nothing. I did use a stiff walled hose so n. chance of that hose being sucked flat. So freakin simple and works great for winterizng too! There I have a 5 gal bucket with a shut off valve in it with a short peice of garden hose, filled with RV antifreeze, that I connect to the flush fitting. Start the motor, open the valve and let the motor suck the bucket empty. Takes a full 1 minute to winterize.

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 12-02-2011 at 11:12 AM.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys - I was hoping someone had this thing figured out. Looks like putting in a tee is pretty simple and will get the job done. Does anybody know what would happen if I just put it in the water and started it up? I dont have a trailer so backing down a ramp is not an option for me.
Old 04-13-2009, 04:56 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Chances are it would pick up water and pump (but its not a given) if you have not pumped water yet and have run it up you may have smoked your impeller,,, it does not take much if you have not run it or have installed new impellers give it a shot ..
Old 04-13-2009, 06:50 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by blownincome
Chances are it would pick up water and pump (but its not a given) if you have not pumped water yet and have run it up you may have smoked your impeller,,, it does not take much if you have not run it or have installed new impellers give it a shot ..
Yea - I was really concerned that I had torn up the impellers by the time the thing decided to bless me with water out the tailpipes. I took it on my first ride of the season on Friday (the 10th) and it was pumping just fine - 18 to 20 punds at 3500 with temp guages between 165 and 175 - right where it was last year. Its just on ititial start up after its been sitting. I appreciate your input.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:34 AM
Registered

My 2c I had the same issue, replaced the impeller and still same thing no water for a while.
This year I pulled the pump and after comparing it to a new pump housing you could see a small amount of wear on the bottom. I installed the new housing and impeller and had water coming out the pipes as soon as it fired up.
It doesn’t take much free play in a pump to lose a lot of sucking power.
Just a thought!
Old 04-15-2009, 01:35 PM
Registered

Received 62 Likes on 17 Posts

Are the caps for the hose inlets on the fresh water flushes tight?? Make sure the o-rings are in place and not sucking air. We had a similar problem in our shop and after tearing the entire cooling system down and half the transom, we found one of the flushes had lost an oring, and the other had a loose cap. It sucked!!!!!
Old 04-15-2009, 06:28 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

we have the issue w/new boats as well