1997 42 fountain, will boxes help???? >

1997 42 fountain, will boxes help????

Notices

1997 42 fountain, will boxes help????

Old 02-14-2011, 10:22 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by 10x
Are you starting with bravo's, or do you have a pr. of SSM's ?? Good luck with bravo's holding up to 950 hp, they'll break like old candy.
He has bravos now. I think they may be upgraded like Teague or bmax or something.

Frank, have you ever broke your ssm iv drives due to your power?
Old 02-14-2011, 01:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Better yet....Arneson's
Old 02-15-2011, 09:22 AM
10x
10x
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
He has bravos now. I think they may be upgraded like Teague or bmax or something.

Frank, have you ever broke your ssm iv drives due to your power?

Joe, LMFAO I wanna say "no" but I don't want to jinx myself. Now watch, I'll break one first time out this season.
www.chicagopowerboat.com
Old 02-16-2011, 03:29 PM
Registered

The boat has Imco Extreme SC drives, from what I have been told they should hold up. The boat alreay has 2in. shorties on her. I have a problem with getting on plane. Props blow out as soon as she's about to fall over. Correct me if Im wrong but I should see about an 7-8 MPH gain with the 2in shorties and boxes set in the neutral position?
Old 02-16-2011, 03:33 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Back4More
You'll have a little more leverage and ride better + faster in some rougher seas. But like Ran-Dom said, you will have to go with -2 lowers to gain back the speed it will loose.
Dont like the Stelling boxes.
IMHO, Testing a few different style props would net you better gains.
Are you running 4 or 5 blades?
Old 02-16-2011, 04:11 PM
Registered

I think stellings boxes are adjustable, where as the merc's are not. Could be wrong.

How far below the bottom are your propshafts now? Your boat is staggard, but my side by side 38 shafts are 1.5" below the running surface. No boxes. Boat was rigged this way at the Factory when they installed the SSM IV drives. Props blowout coming up on plane, whether i have the 3 or 4 blades on. The 4 blades just recover and grab faster. Normally for me, its tabs down, drives tucked, bring rpm to 3800, have a beer, then she lays over.

Alot of what you do is gonna be based on your current x dimension. If the setup is too high, planes like crap, and you have high slip numbers, you might want to try spacers, or different props before going to boxes. Adding the boxes to your current setup, might lower your prop slip, and help planing. But I doubt add 7-8mph over your existing setup, unless your slip numbers are thru the roof. All the boxes are gonna do is put your props deeper in the water than they are now, which normally, would equate to a speed loss on most setups. Keep in mind you already have a extension box built into the hull. (notched transom)

So, with that being said, i'd run the boat, trying a couple different styles of props. Record your top speed and calculate your slip. Then try some spacers, BZ has a pair. Run it again, see how that works for you.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:23 AM
10x
10x
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Merc boxes on mine, and they do have three sets of holes to mount them in. The boxes will put the prop about a foot farther back and will let it grab more cleaner water. Kinda like putting the prop in deeper without putting it in any deeper.
You might want to try to run a prop with more foil on the front cutting edge, this helps alot in planning the boat. If your props have already been polished to death, then there's no bringing them back. You can't "add" foil to a prop, but you can remove it with someone that does'nt know what he's doing when he's polishing it for you.

I've got props that have very little "foil" on them, the boat will run it's fastest speeds with em, but with full tanks and 4 people in the boat, I can't even get it to plane unless I'm going with the wind and with the current of the water. Total PITA !!! 2 people, light on fuel, and it's doable, but still a project with getting the props to bite just at the right rpm.
If you got the coin, the boxes will probably help the planning problem, but not completely. You just might need to use a different prop. If you want to look into reworking your existing props, (if they can be done), I've got a real great prop guy that I've used for many years, and everyone that's went to him was 100% satisfied with his quality of work.
www.chicagopowerboat.com
Old 02-17-2011, 11:50 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
I'd look into re-rigging the boat and putting some SSM style drives on it while its apart! I can get you a pair of SSM III drives for a good price! The SSM drives will put the props back further in the water than the bravo's, and will hold up better than the bravo style drive on a 42 driven on Lake michigan. Stronger drive, stronger gimbal, etc.

You'll need trannies, but a Brian Miller sr. has a pair of fresh huber's sitting in his garage.

There's a guy on here, who has a late 90's 35 Fountain who had his boat converted from bravo's to ssm III by jerry Stark at oasis marine on the south side. He runs Keith Eickert 800's. No drive issues whatsover. I'd bet you can sell off your current stuff to offset the cost of the conversion.
Hey that 35 fountain with the SSMIII is me! Boat runs great after 8 years! You get so much more with speedmasters...real props, boat runs like its on rails...much better in rough water.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:52 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 10x
I have the Merc boxes on mine, and they do have three sets of holes to mount them in. The boxes will put the prop about a foot farther back and will let it grab more cleaner water. Kinda like putting the prop in deeper without putting it in any deeper.
You might want to try to run a prop with more foil on the front cutting edge, this helps alot in planning the boat. If your props have already been polished to death, then there's no bringing them back. You can't "add" foil to a prop, but you can remove it with someone that does'nt know what he's doing when he's polishing it for you.

I've got props that have very little "foil" on them, the boat will run it's fastest speeds with em, but with full tanks and 4 people in the boat, I can't even get it to plane unless I'm going with the wind and with the current of the water. Total PITA !!! 2 people, light on fuel, and it's doable, but still a project with getting the props to bite just at the right rpm.
If you got the coin, the boxes will probably help the planning problem, but not completely. You just might need to use a different prop. If you want to look into reworking your existing props, (if they can be done), I've got a real great prop guy that I've used for many years, and everyone that's went to him was 100% satisfied with his quality of work.
I agree. I tried a set of four blade props last summer. Had ran 3 blades, and figured slapping on a set of like pitch 4 blades could only improve Planing? Nope. Could not get the boat on plane whatsoever. Tried everything. They just dug holes and never grabbed. Turned out a lot of the cupping was gone. Put the 3 blades back on and went boating that day. Tried a different set of 4 blades a few weeks later, boat planed off great.

How's everything else coming along Joe?
Old 02-17-2011, 09:13 PM
Registered

4 Blade Bravo I's.

Hi Joe! Good to see you out here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.