Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
Possibly Looking to Buy Fountain Next Summer--Advice? >

Possibly Looking to Buy Fountain Next Summer--Advice?

Notices

Possibly Looking to Buy Fountain Next Summer--Advice?

Old 07-14-2011, 10:57 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Speed costs money... no two ways about it. Since you're learning about motors, I would suggest you do a little research on drives too. Don't make the mistake of putting a stock Bravo One behind big power unless you have a few thousand bucks laying around for emergency repairs. If you're wanting a blue motor or comparable HP from a modified black motor or custom motor, look for at least a Bravo X, XZ, or XR drive. IMCO's would even be better. People on here will tell you a Bravo One is fine behind 500 or 600HP if you drive carefully. You may even have someone say they've run one behind 800HP for 500 hours with no issues because they're the best captain on the planet. But trust me, the more drive you have the better.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:39 PM
Registered

I would not buy the 27 again, the fuel tank is really to small and has the paining issue as well. I would buy the 29, has a foot more cockpit and twice the fuel cap. A single 500 or 525 with an XR drive or better is a good solid combo.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:18 AM
Registered

Thanks for the advice.....I guess I will look more for a 29' then.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:23 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Your budget probably a 96 or older but I have a 90 with twins in a 29 and it goes 72. Like others have said if your in that price range and can find it go with a twin 29
Old 07-15-2011, 08:33 AM
Registered

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o40792-en.html
http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o40511-en.html

second one kind of has me scracthing. But fountains are harder to find than something like a Baja, so you might have to travel. Also fountains hold their value better thus cost more for their age but at the sametime alot of them are overpriced IMO
Old 07-15-2011, 09:11 AM
Registered

Received 1,325 Likes on 739 Posts

Second one is a F1 boat, no cabin.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:22 AM
Registered
Gold Member

First one does not have the Latham Hydraulic steering. If it were me I would get the race boat and spend the money to get the interior done the way I wanted it. Mine is a store room for the most part. People change clothes in there and I have slept over night in it but if I did mine over again I would get rid of the sink and put a bigger fridge in there. I have the porta potty flush version with pump out but it has never been used.

Last edited by rgrgoog; 07-15-2011 at 09:26 AM.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:56 AM
Registered

I don't think I could see paying $28k for a 1993 boat, regardless of the builder. I've seen them cheaper--even on here-- for later models. I guess I'll just have to take my time and look around all winter for a good deal.

I like Powerquests too, but I really prefer a Fountain.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:07 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by boxer156
I don't think I could see paying $28k for a 1993 boat, regardless of the builder. I've seen them cheaper--even on here-- for later models. I guess I'll just have to take my time and look around all winter for a good deal.

I like Powerquests too, but I really prefer a Fountain.
Then you wont get into fountain. Cheapest 2000 or better fountain I have ever seen runs about 40-50. You wont get into a 2000 or better unless you get lucky. But heres the deal with performance boats they cost more money than average boats. Look at formula, fountain, baja, and even checkmate. At 25 grand you would be VERY hard pressed to get into anything 27-29ft thats 2000 or newer. One thing you have to figure Fountain is a top three in boat buildiers for go fast so your paying for that, also fountain is going to come standard with most things that other brands do not.

I searched two years for my fountaing and searched just about every kind of boat. Im not saying it cant be done or saying you have high hopes but 99 out of 100 times you will not find something that is 2000 or newer 27-29ft and goes 70+. And your going to be hard pressed to find fountain thats 1997ish to 99 at that price. Do a search on iboats, boats.com, boattrader etc. Just not there. Old boats arent bad, my boat has 200 hours on hull new rebuilt engines at 55hours ago. Very few dings. Boats arent like cars older doesnt mean worse in boats. Think of it this way the majority of people drive their boats from Memorial day to Labor day. And even then maybe 2-3 times a month, they drive 5-10 miles and park it. So dont be afraid of older boats, but be more aware because THey can have more structural damage due to water. People think my 90 is about 5 years old. Ive parked next to plenty of 2005-2008 boats and they have ten times the damage mine does.

Me personally I think you could land a 95-97.

Last edited by soldier4402; 07-15-2011 at 12:28 PM.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:22 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by rgrgoog
First one does not have the Latham Hydraulic steering. If it were me I would get the race boat and spend the money to get the interior done the way I wanted it. Mine is a store room for the most part. People change clothes in there and I have slept over night in it but if I did mine over again I would get rid of the sink and put a bigger fridge in there. I have the porta potty flush version with pump out but it has never been used.
Good point on the interior. Although you would probably have 5-10k into an interior but at boat that age and interior would be a good price. I Would install bigger cooler get rid of sink.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.