Sent 05 Ex to RF Powerboats

Notices

Sent 05 Ex to RF Powerboats

Old 09-15-2011, 09:30 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 29scarab10
TCBoss302,
You might consider reading the entire thread and I believe if you do you will be deleting your above post.
Allen
Thanks, reread thread.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:53 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TRL505
Do any of you guys wanna loan me some money?? Or maybe let me live with you?....WE ARE TAPPED!!!
Me too. I've spent more on f*king with the engines that I did to buy the boat, on both my last 2 boats. I think I've learned that boats should have boat engines (outboards) or truck engines (diesels), not car engines. They just don't hold up to the sustained load. Think about it: the dyno runs last seconds, and that was OK. Put it in the boat and run for minutes and it blows up (of course you want it to run for hundreds of hours).

These leaks can be caused by inconsistent heating, particularly across the top of the block and the head, combined with very high cylinder pressures. Getting the temperature consistent is not easy. The German car manufacturers need to do this because the Autobahns allow people to cruise at high speed (high load) for extended periods of time. There are very few non-German cars in the left lane on the autobahn. Ferraris? Vettes? Jaguars? Nope. BMWs, Porsche, Mercedes, Opel, VW, yes. I've seen so many GM V8s blown up on the side of the autobahn its bizarre, considering there are hardly any at all over there.

Over the past several decades of owning power and sail boats, and sometimes running serious yachts for much more wealthy individuals, I've seen that maintenance is about 10% to 20% of new boat cost per year.

But I still expect maintenance to be as on a car or house (a very small percentage of original cost). My expectations do not meet my experience...
Old 09-15-2011, 11:36 AM
Registered

Received 341 Likes on 119 Posts

I've always gone with stock Merc and now Ilmor engines so I've never had a custom engine made. Stupid question here: when you pay a custom builder to put together engines like this- and they grenade on the test run- who eats the cost of fixing the engine: the customer, engine builder, or do you split it?
Old 09-15-2011, 12:05 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Marginmn
I've always gone with stock Merc and now Ilmor engines so I've never had a custom engine made. Stupid question here: when you pay a custom builder to put together engines like this- and they grenade on the test run- who eats the cost of fixing the engine: the customer, engine builder, or do you split it?

Now that's an interesting question, one that just beggs for an interesting answer.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:50 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by carcrash
Me too. I've spent more on f*king with the engines that I did to buy the boat, on both my last 2 boats. I think I've learned that boats should have boat engines (outboards) or truck engines (diesels), not car engines. They just don't hold up to the sustained load. Think about it: the dyno runs last seconds, and that was OK. Put it in the boat and run for minutes and it blows up (of course you want it to run for hundreds of hours).

These leaks can be caused by inconsistent heating, particularly across the top of the block and the head, combined with very high cylinder pressures. Getting the temperature consistent is not easy. The German car manufacturers need to do this because the Autobahns allow people to cruise at high speed (high load) for extended periods of time. There are very few non-German cars in the left lane on the autobahn. Ferraris? Vettes? Jaguars? Nope. BMWs, Porsche, Mercedes, Opel, VW, yes. I've seen so many GM V8s blown up on the side of the autobahn its bizarre, considering there are hardly any at all over there.

Over the past several decades of owning power and sail boats, and sometimes running serious yachts for much more wealthy individuals, I've seen that maintenance is about 10% to 20% of new boat cost per year.

But I still expect maintenance to be as on a car or house (a very small percentage of original cost). My expectations do not meet my experience...
My boat with tame power has not had anything other than maintainance. That was not the case with the big sea rays I owned.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:30 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by RaggedEdge
Now that's an interesting question, one that just beggs for an interesting answer.
Ummmmmm.......well.....ummmmmmmmm......hmmmmm..... .....uhhhhh well......riiiiiiiight. LOL.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:39 PM
BRT
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Update....I spoke with Tyler this morning and he has consulted with some of his peers (Richie Zuhl, Keith Eickert) and there seems to be a consensus, based upon the burn pattern on the tops of the pistons, that the issue is related to a timing issue. Long story short, we are installing new Billet MSD distributers, and replacing the PCM on the Stbd motor just to eliminate any goofy computer glitches. Tyler is sending down a leak down gauge to Lil R and he will do a leak down test on port motor. IF all is good then we will move forward. If not..then I will probably send port motor back for Tyler to look at.

CMI tested the headers and they held 60PSI with no leaks. However, they are 7 yrs old and we are going to replace the Stbd headers with the new Gen X style. We will then send the old Stbd headers to Tyler and he is going to weld AF bungs into each tube so he can read AF on each cylinder..as opposed to a left bank/right bank average taken @ the Tailpipe when he re-dynos the Stbd motor.

Shooting for another visit to RF at the end of this month. Do any of you guys wanna loan me some money?? Or maybe let me live with you?....WE ARE TAPPED!!!
I've been in your shoes a few times with projects. Hang in there, it will work out. I know you didn't ask but in my experience, a conservative approach to the problem has always worked best. Both for my sanity AND my wallet.

Good luck, you can always work on it tomorrow.

Bryan
Old 09-15-2011, 08:59 PM
Registered

Ummmmmm.......well.....ummmmmmmmm......hmmmmm..... .....uhhhhh well......riiiiiiiight. LOL.
This has to be one of the worst answers to a question that I have ever seen in my life...
Old 09-16-2011, 09:10 AM
Gold Member

Originally Posted by RaggedEdge
i bet i know the answer to that and probley so do you,,,,,,joe boater
Old 09-16-2011, 09:32 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by bcfountain
i bet i know the answer to that and probley so do you,,,,,,joe boater
The engine builder in this case did not build complete new engines with all new accessories. He rebuilt 6 year old engines with some 6 year old accessories. If one of these 6 your old accessories caused the problem why should the engine be one the hook?

If it were me, when the engines go back in the engine builder would have his laptop hooked up looking at the called for timing numbers and being verifyed with a timing light First through out the rpm range under no load and then again while under load.

Ofcourse most engine builder will not like this comment because who wants to be in engine compartment at speed with lots off hot stuff and turning belts. Most would agree to due it on the dyno, but ultimately the engine lives (or not) inside the engine compartment.
Allen

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.