I want more speed from my 27 fever >

I want more speed from my 27 fever

Notices

I want more speed from my 27 fever

Old 10-17-2011, 08:26 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I want more speed from my 27 fever

I have an 05 with a 496 HO with X drive. I would like to have upper 70's speed. I have thought about a 525 motor and also raylar. Anyone done anything else. I would like to keep reliability and EFI. I have also thought about just buying a 29. Have not seen the right boat near me.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:56 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

You Can Jazz The 496 Up & Make As Much As The 525 Has.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:06 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by carcommander
I have an 05 with a 496 HO with X drive. I would like to have upper 70's speed. I have thought about a 525 motor and also raylar. Anyone done anything else. I would like to keep reliability and EFI. I have also thought about just buying a 29. Have not seen the right boat near me.
PM sdfever

He has done more to his 27 than most would ever want to.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:28 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just sold my 04 with the same set up. Sell and go to a 29 with a 525 and you will be better off in the end.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're considering buying a 525 then I have to assume that money is not a real big concern for you.

It's slightly over one thousand dollars for every one mile per hour gain is what I personally have found out via upgrades.

If you're buying a new engine then your number will be big in relation to the size and cost on average of your boat.

Not many options are out there for 496 owners that I would consider to be "horsepower in a box". If you have no interest in modifying the engine, then buying another boat will most likely be a solid bet.

A new 525 is going to cost about as much as a good running 27 give or take.

You could consider the following:

1. Keep your stock engine and properly store it in a dry place.

2. Buy a used, bigger engine from someone who has it sitting in storage or a boat etc.. Used engines are not bringing anything close to what they used to. Many of them are sitting with owners who no longer have a boat.

Some names that come to my mind are: Teague, Pfaff, Potter, GT Performance, Larry's Marine Engines etc.

I like the Ilmor stuff but it won't fit in your boat without huge costs and major mod work that quite honestly is prohibitive in my opinion. Would love to know someone who put an Ilmor in a 27 Fountain.

Also, JimV would be an excellent guy to talk to since he's gotta hold one of the records for speed in the 27 at something like 94 mph.

I think your 05 might have a slightly larger step then some of the older models. It may be good for something but I'm not sure if that's the case. I know the 29 step got bigger over time but can't remember on the 27.

Last edited by SDFever; 10-18-2011 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Info
Old 10-19-2011, 07:22 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by SDFever
If you're considering buying a 525 then I have to assume that money is not a real big concern for you.

It's slightly over one thousand dollars for every one mile per hour gain is what I personally have found out via upgrades.

If you're buying a new engine then your number will be big in relation to the size and cost on average of your boat.

Not many options are out there for 496 owners that I would consider to be "horsepower in a box". If you have no interest in modifying the engine, then buying another boat will most likely be a solid bet.

A new 525 is going to cost about as much as a good running 27 give or take.

You could consider the following:

1. Keep your stock engine and properly store it in a dry place.

2. Buy a used, bigger engine from someone who has it sitting in storage or a boat etc.. Used engines are not bringing anything close to what they used to. Many of them are sitting with owners who no longer have a boat.

Some names that come to my mind are: Teague, Pfaff, Potter, GT Performance, Larry's Marine Engines etc.

I like the Ilmor stuff but it won't fit in your boat without huge costs and major mod work that quite honestly is prohibitive in my opinion. Would love to know someone who put an Ilmor in a 27 Fountain.

Also, JimV would be an excellent guy to talk to since he's gotta hold one of the records for speed in the 27 at something like 94 mph.

I think your 05 might have a slightly larger step then some of the older models. It may be good for something but I'm not sure if that's the case. I know the 29 step got bigger over time but can't remember on the 27.
Pretty good advice. I am probably not going to modify the 496.
They are very durable in stock form not so much modified. I will probably just look for a 29 that is nice and not 3 worlds away from me. Money is not a big concern but no point in wasting it. I do like the idea of buying a used big motor and playing with that. Thanks.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:37 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pretty good advice. I am probably not going to modify the 496.
They are very durable in stock form not so much modified. I will probably just look for a 29 that is nice and not 3 worlds away from me. Money is not a big concern but no point in wasting it. I do like the idea of buying a used big motor and playing with that. Thanks.
There is an '05 29 in the classifieds with a 575sci and IMCO drive. Don't know the boat, but it looks pretty sweet.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:39 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by A.O. Razor
There is an '05 29 in the classifieds with a 575sci and IMCO drive. Don't know the boat, but it looks pretty sweet.
That boat has been for sale for some time. He is in Washington State and I am in Atlanta. Also I want the low windshield.
Old 10-20-2011, 12:22 AM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts

That F1 29 is still around & can be had for a great price.....

Last edited by pullmytrigger; 10-20-2011 at 12:40 AM.
Old 10-20-2011, 12:33 AM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts

here
http://www.powerboatlistings.com/view/5098

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.