Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Fountain (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/fountain-37/)
-   -   I want more speed from my 27 fever (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/fountain/264235-i-want-more-speed-my-27-fever.html)

carcommander 10-17-2011 08:26 PM

I want more speed from my 27 fever

I have an 05 with a 496 HO with X drive. I would like to have upper 70's speed. I have thought about a 525 motor and also raylar. Anyone done anything else. I would like to keep reliability and EFI. I have also thought about just buying a 29. Have not seen the right boat near me.

Reggie Fountain 10-17-2011 10:56 PM

You Can Jazz The 496 Up & Make As Much As The 525 Has.

Westcoast 10-17-2011 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by carcommander (Post 3529765)
I have an 05 with a 496 HO with X drive. I would like to have upper 70's speed. I have thought about a 525 motor and also raylar. Anyone done anything else. I would like to keep reliability and EFI. I have also thought about just buying a 29. Have not seen the right boat near me.

PM sdfever

He has done more to his 27 than most would ever want to.

flying J 10-18-2011 02:28 AM

I just sold my 04 with the same set up. Sell and go to a 29 with a 525 and you will be better off in the end.

SDFever 10-18-2011 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by carcommander (Post 3529765)

If you're considering buying a 525 then I have to assume that money is not a real big concern for you.

It's slightly over one thousand dollars for every one mile per hour gain is what I personally have found out via upgrades.

If you're buying a new engine then your number will be big in relation to the size and cost on average of your boat.

Not many options are out there for 496 owners that I would consider to be "horsepower in a box". If you have no interest in modifying the engine, then buying another boat will most likely be a solid bet.

A new 525 is going to cost about as much as a good running 27 give or take.

You could consider the following:

1. Keep your stock engine and properly store it in a dry place.

2. Buy a used, bigger engine from someone who has it sitting in storage or a boat etc.. Used engines are not bringing anything close to what they used to. Many of them are sitting with owners who no longer have a boat.

Some names that come to my mind are: Teague, Pfaff, Potter, GT Performance, Larry's Marine Engines etc.

I like the Ilmor stuff but it won't fit in your boat without huge costs and major mod work that quite honestly is prohibitive in my opinion. Would love to know someone who put an Ilmor in a 27 Fountain.

Also, JimV would be an excellent guy to talk to since he's gotta hold one of the records for speed in the 27 at something like 94 mph.

I think your 05 might have a slightly larger step then some of the older models. It may be good for something but I'm not sure if that's the case. I know the 29 step got bigger over time but can't remember on the 27.

carcommander 10-19-2011 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by SDFever (Post 3530732)
If you're considering buying a 525 then I have to assume that money is not a real big concern for you.

It's slightly over one thousand dollars for every one mile per hour gain is what I personally have found out via upgrades.

If you're buying a new engine then your number will be big in relation to the size and cost on average of your boat.

Not many options are out there for 496 owners that I would consider to be "horsepower in a box". If you have no interest in modifying the engine, then buying another boat will most likely be a solid bet.

A new 525 is going to cost about as much as a good running 27 give or take.

You could consider the following:

1. Keep your stock engine and properly store it in a dry place.

2. Buy a used, bigger engine from someone who has it sitting in storage or a boat etc.. Used engines are not bringing anything close to what they used to. Many of them are sitting with owners who no longer have a boat.

Some names that come to my mind are: Teague, Pfaff, Potter, GT Performance, Larry's Marine Engines etc.

I like the Ilmor stuff but it won't fit in your boat without huge costs and major mod work that quite honestly is prohibitive in my opinion. Would love to know someone who put an Ilmor in a 27 Fountain.

Also, JimV would be an excellent guy to talk to since he's gotta hold one of the records for speed in the 27 at something like 94 mph.

I think your 05 might have a slightly larger step then some of the older models. It may be good for something but I'm not sure if that's the case. I know the 29 step got bigger over time but can't remember on the 27.

Pretty good advice. I am probably not going to modify the 496.
They are very durable in stock form not so much modified. I will probably just look for a 29 that is nice and not 3 worlds away from me. Money is not a big concern but no point in wasting it. I do like the idea of buying a used big motor and playing with that. Thanks.

A.O. Razor 10-19-2011 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by carcommander (Post 3531073)
Pretty good advice. I am probably not going to modify the 496.
They are very durable in stock form not so much modified. I will probably just look for a 29 that is nice and not 3 worlds away from me. Money is not a big concern but no point in wasting it. I do like the idea of buying a used big motor and playing with that. Thanks.

There is an '05 29 in the classifieds with a 575sci and IMCO drive. Don't know the boat, but it looks pretty sweet.

carcommander 10-19-2011 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by A.O. Razor (Post 3531133)
There is an '05 29 in the classifieds with a 575sci and IMCO drive. Don't know the boat, but it looks pretty sweet.

That boat has been for sale for some time. He is in Washington State and I am in Atlanta. Also I want the low windshield.

pullmytrigger 10-20-2011 12:22 AM

That F1 29 is still around & can be had for a great price.....

pullmytrigger 10-20-2011 12:33 AM

here
http://www.powerboatlistings.com/view/5098