Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Fountain (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/fountain-37/)
-   -   Waxing bottom of boat (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/fountain/282559-waxing-bottom-boat.html)

Wes Burmark 08-10-2012 06:55 PM

Waxing bottom of boat

I had a little time on my hands and while waxing the boat decided to crawl underneath and wax the bottom of the boat. Hard to appreciate all the work that goes into the Fountain hull design until you spend a little time under her! Anyway... my question is do you think waxing the bottom is worth any increase in performance? Wonder how long it will last... Any racers doing this? At the very least I got a good arm workout -:)

Expensive Date 08-10-2012 07:17 PM

Actually its said that it slows the boat down. I have never noticed any difference though. It looks better shiny.

bob_t 08-10-2012 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Expensive Date (Post 3751036)
Actually its said that it slows the boat down. I have never noticed any difference though. It looks better shiny.

Same, here - never noticed anything. Also easier to clean off lake scum. I think ambient air temperature/humidity on any given day has more effect on speed than waxing the bottom.

Wes Burmark 08-10-2012 08:00 PM

Bob, I know you are correct on the air temperature. It's something like a 1% increase in horsepower with every 5-10 degree drop.

Well, as mentioned, I did get a great arm workout and a new appreciation for the steps and pad setup on the Fountain.

88bullet 08-10-2012 08:38 PM

i heard rainex sprayed on the bottom of the hull works pretty good. may or may not give any speed but seems to keep the scum line off a little better

POWERPLAY J 08-10-2012 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by 88bullet (Post 3751082)
i heard rainex sprayed on the bottom of the hull works pretty good. may or may not give any speed but seems to keep the scum line off a little better

What he said. Rain X is the chizzz...

bob_t 08-10-2012 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Wes Burmark (Post 3751062)
Well, as mentioned, I did get a great arm workout and a new appreciation for the steps and pad setup on the Fountain.

Yes, you can see the extra work they put into getting the edges sharp and surfaces flat in the last several feet of the boat, usually from the step back to the transom, when you are laying under it for a few hours :D

88bullet 08-10-2012 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by POWERPLAY J (Post 3751098)
What he said. Rain X is the chizzz...

did you ever gps it and see if the rain x ever gave you any mph??

POWERPLAY J 08-10-2012 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by 88bullet (Post 3751112)
did you ever gps it and see if the rain x ever gave you any mph??

No. But being in the paint/detail business I have not found a better product to keep crap off the hull.

verbi69 08-11-2012 09:03 AM

The racers generally tend to lightly sand their hulls for less drag....