Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Fountain (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/fountain-37/)
-   -   Newer Executioner or Older Lightning - what should we do?? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/fountain/284711-newer-executioner-older-lightning-what-should-we-do.html)

ALL_IN! 09-12-2012 03:55 PM

Newer Executioner or Older Lightning - what should we do??

I've read, I believe, every Lightning vs Executioner thread on OSO. I understand the differences with exception of the cuddy ceiling height. No one around here has an Executioner, so I've not been in one. (if someone has the measurements, I'd appreciate a response to the height)

We're in the market for a 35'. We want more room, mainly in cockpit, than our current boat has. ...and we want to stay with Fountain.

...anyway, one can get a late model ('08) Executioner for about the same price as an older ('01) Lightning.

I'm not that worried about top speed. We do 98% of our boating on a river with dead alligators on occasion. So you really have to watch what your driving through. Over 50mph cruise speed is more of the desire. So, I believe that we could be satisfied with 496's in an Executioner.

In my mind, a 5 year old boat is likely a much better investment (if I can even use the term investment), than a 12 year old boat. Sure a Lightning is faster, cooler I guess - is the price vs age worth it? 2008 sounds better to my than a 2001. Vinyl x UV exposure, general wear & tear, component durability, etc. Of course, previous owner neglect is another factor regardless of age.

Convince me one way or another....

I appreciate your thoughts.

TRL505 09-12-2012 04:18 PM

An 01 lightning has the older Gen hull. An 08 Ex will have latest gen hull and be much faster with equal HP. It should also have the new style interior...no brainer..go with the newer Ex...IMO.

4bus 09-12-2012 04:37 PM

I agree with above, curious why they are the same price though?

The 08 will most likely have a one of dash with monster gauges, that is a 6k upgrade to do to an older fountain.

The 01 will be on its last year of being financiable next year as well, using the 12 year old max rule that many banks are using today

Either the 01 is over priced, or the 08 is a killer deal

Esquire 09-12-2012 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by TRL505 (Post 3775517)
An 01 lightning has the older Gen hull. An 08 Ex will have latest gen hull and be much faster with equal HP. It should also have the new style interior...no brainer..go with the newer Ex...IMO.

This isn't accurate. The '01 35 Lightning uses basically the same twin step bottom that is used on the newest 35's. Fountain just raised the X and then went staggered on the newer boats (I'm sure Reggie probably made a few tweaks to the bottom too, but nothing major). The Executioner is a single step hull based off the the older, pre-twin step Lightning. Not a bad hull by any means, just not quite as fast with the same power as the newer Lightnings. Also, the Executioners never swapped to the new 2007 plus style interior. They do have Monster guages and some of the nicer amenities of the newer Lightnings.

All that said, if you like the looks of the Executioner and are not concerned with being the fastest boat on the water, a newer, low hour Executioner with 496 HO's is probably a better choice than an older Lightning. Personally, I would be on the lookout for a 2004ish Lightning with 525s or an early 2000s Lightning with low hours and 575s.

techman 09-12-2012 05:20 PM

An 2008 35 Executioner does not have a "latest" generation hull. The 42 Executioner has the lightning hull so that is based on a newer design.

All 35 Ex's are based on old molds which is why they were a price-point boat with the 496's. They just rolled them out the door with a fresh paint and new skins but it was always based on the older single step hull.

If you are looking at a older 35 single step lightning's and newer 35 Ex's (with 496's) you are probably getting about the same bottom in terms of tech. The interiors are where the difference would be (race fairing/plexi versus full framed windshields).

Get the newer boat if those are your chosen two. The 01 is getting old.......

But in this market you can probably get a newer 35 twin step with blue power or 496's for not much more. And it is a WAY better boat all around compared to the Ex.

Marginmn 09-12-2012 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by easyrider1340 (Post 3775505)
We're in the market for a 35'. We want more room, mainly in cockpit, than our current boat has. ...and we want to stay with Fountain.

...anyway, one can get a late model ('08) Executioner for about the same price as an older ('01) Lightning.

I appreciate your thoughts.

If you are looking for cockpit space get in a 38 Fever and you will be ruined on the 35's. They are older but can be had really cheap these days.

ALL_IN! 09-14-2012 10:35 AM

My wife really wants the anchor locker, and would rather have a ladder off the swim platform. Looks like we're getting closer to settling on a Lightning.

Has anyone been able to confirm headroom difference in the cabin between Executioner and Lightning?

Thanks.

ALL_IN! 09-14-2012 01:44 PM

This is one of the boats that we've been considering.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o46796-en.html

On Time 09-14-2012 01:50 PM

Tough to work on. Go 38 or 42 staggered.

Marginmn 09-14-2012 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by easyrider1340 (Post 3776992)
This is one of the boats that we've been considering.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o46796-en.html

Looks like a really clean boat.