Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
What is Illegal Are we breaking the law towing these boats? >

What is Illegal Are we breaking the law towing these boats?

Notices

What is Illegal Are we breaking the law towing these boats?

Old 09-13-2012, 08:33 PM
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes ticketed, sunday morning 730am
Old 09-14-2012, 07:02 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 276 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by injectedrat68
I think in CT. if you have more then 100 gal. on board you need a placard and also haz mat. I dont know of any body or heard of anyone getting checked for any of these things on weekends. But of course DOT doesnt work weekends here.
Only if it is not in a tank that is not hooked to a motor that uses that fuel to run. Otherwise every truck would have to have placards, all my tractors hold 135 gal per side. The dot laws are federal laws their the same thru out the country, just like the Dot officers they also carry the federal classification. That's why they are called in to all major truck accidents. They are not bad people we have them in once a year to do inspections on all of our equipment, and answer any questions my drivers might have.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:15 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by sonickevin95
Yes ticketed, sunday morning 730am
That's horseshlt then. I would have definately fought that in court. Just cresting a hill will take you up or down 3 mph.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:17 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts

Just measured mine last weekend. 68.5' from the front bumper to the propnuts.

What are you supposed to do, get a "over length" permit???
Attached Thumbnails What is Illegal Are we breaking the law towing these boats?-trucktrailer2012.jpeg  
Old 09-23-2012, 07:26 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I have a 42 American Eagle and pulled my 38 Fountain to Morehead. Called and got a permit for 90 feet, cost me 15.00 and they faxed it to me. Only problem was I could not come home on Sunday, had to wait for Monday. Was told if I stayed on interstate no permit was required in NC.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:32 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Also purchased a 36 Foot Renegade hauler for work pulling my 44 foot 5th wheel trailer. Called DOT before purchasing the Renegade and was told 65 foot limit. I asked them if they stopped every tractor trailer traveling down the road because if they pulled a 53 foot trailer with a long nose tractor they were over length. He told me to call back in 15 minutes. I did and was told 53 foot trailer. I asked if it mattered what I towed with and he said as long as the trailer was not over 53 feet. Of course some roads have special limits but not interstate highways, at least in NC.