Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
Calling on Fountain Army for help - Water in my 47 Lightning Cuddy??? Whats the fix?? >

Calling on Fountain Army for help - Water in my 47 Lightning Cuddy??? Whats the fix??

Notices

Calling on Fountain Army for help - Water in my 47 Lightning Cuddy??? Whats the fix??

Old 02-27-2013, 11:21 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sure it's not coming in your rear bilge vents and running forward?

Can always do process of elimination......big ol tarp over the windshield, then over the bow, and then over the rear of the boat at different times and see which tarped location the leaks stop, then you can start to concentrate on that area.

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 02-27-2013 at 11:24 AM.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:01 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Its easy to check the bow rails...just run up and see if they are loose at each base point. If they are, even in the slightest, you've got your answer. You wouldn't see anything on the upholstery because the water would likely be seeping down behind it.

If it IS the bow rails, its kind of a nightmare job. I pulled mine off, and instead of attempting to set them exactly straight and thread the bolts into the bottom of the bases (there is a bit of tension on the rails, so they never seem to line up exactly right), I bought some threaded rod and corresponding nuts and bolts so they extended through the holes in the deck...then all you had to do was cinch up the bolts from below. I also used fender washers and 3m waterproof sealer at each hole. To get to the bolts, you pretty much have to drop all the headliners...also not fun.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:21 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Rail does not have to be loose for it to leak. Each stand and end where the bolt goes through the hull needs to be sealed. It could also be the bottom of the windshield where the screws penetrate the hull if it was not sealed.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:43 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

good friend of mine has had 5 fountains now .29 - 42 s all the bow rails have leaked .and to the extent it will rot the wood under the floor .very easy to see pull up the cushins in the v birth and remove some of the lift off covers .i was amazed how wet it was .and this was a boat he was looking at to buy himself .owner had no idea .very common problem iveseen him rebuild 3 of the 5 he has had .
Old 03-02-2013, 03:06 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by smokin' gun
good friend of mine has had 5 fountains now .29 - 42 s all the bow rails have leaked .and to the extent it will rot the wood under the floor .very easy to see pull up the cushins in the v birth and remove some of the lift off covers .i was amazed how wet it was .and this was a boat he was looking at to buy himself .owner had no idea .very common problem iveseen him rebuild 3 of the 5 he has had .
So much **** with this boats ,i will check mine also
Old 03-02-2013, 11:17 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Why would you leave it out in the weather? Park it at a boat storage place or something.