Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
Any fast small step 38' Lightnings?  105-110+??? >

Any fast small step 38' Lightnings? 105-110+???

Notices

Any fast small step 38' Lightnings? 105-110+???

Old 09-17-2013, 06:57 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mcprodesign
I have been in convo w you before. I have a 2000 w 575's. It's a hundred mph boat. It makes about 700 per side. You need to whipple your 500's to make 700 or so hp. Raise your drives ( redo the transom and motor mounts) Blue print the bottom and be careful w your drives baby them up to speed. I see 102 in my future. you could get 105 if you had 750 hp per side
You've always been a wealth of knowledge on these boats... I'm just trying to understand why that Teague boat struggled for 90s w/ shorties on it... and yours with similar is light years ahead. I know setup goes a ways but we're talking nearly 10MPH. The boat I'm talking about was for sale here about 3-4 months ago.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:25 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

700 HP in a late model 38 with small steps that's setup right will run 100mph.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:59 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jpzaluski
You've always been a wealth of knowledge on these boats... I'm just trying to understand why that Teague boat struggled for 90s w/ shorties on it... and yours with similar is light years ahead. I know setup goes a ways but we're talking nearly 10MPH. The boat I'm talking about was for sale here about 3-4 months ago.
Put stage 3 whipples on your boat. It will make north of 750. That would be about max for a stock bravo drive so you have to baby it up to wot. Have Reggie do it and then have him set up your drive highths etc. He and his Dad's shop did mine .
Old 09-17-2013, 08:26 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jpzaluski
You just answered your own question. This site is full of true hobbyist, great guys with tons of knowledge about hp, maintenance and repair. However, most of them, including myself are amatures when it comes to set up and hydro dynamics. When is the last time you saw a thread on make the drives true? How about accurate trim and drive alignment to the gauges? Bottom blue printing??? Drive blue printing?

Us amatures add hp, prop work, and work for bullet proof set ups. The pros like RGIII at realfast find speed without adding hp, and sometimes the numbers are staggering (pun intended)

If your boat is clean, stick with it. Unless you are looking for the new interior offerings in the +2007 Models. Me personally I wouldn't make a change from my big step 38 for another unless it had the latest cockpit and cabin interior...and #6 drives. Because those modifications are cost prohibitive IMO.

You have lots of speed to gain. Talk to RGIII about set up and hp. Converting your boat to a semi stag setup may be an option as well. I don't know what the speed difference in a side by side small step to big step is, but I bet it's not as much as you make think...maybe 2-3 mph?

I can tell you adding speed definitely gives new interest to old toy. And of you add boost to that ride, hitting the sticks at 75 mph, hearing those blowers come to life while they pin your back to your seat, will put a smile on your face all summer long. The 38 hull simply feels ballistic at anything above 90mph.

Btw I run a big step 38 side by side, 575sci bumped to 700hp full hyd roller, on bravo xrs with 32 pitch bravo props. My top speed so far with this set up is 98.1 mph at 5700+ rpm. I got a 9mph gain with just hp over stock, I know there is more, but I am extremely happy witn the performance and reliability...however it's a long winter, so anything can change
Old 09-17-2013, 08:46 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Get a staggered....
Old 09-17-2013, 08:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4bus
You just answered your own question. This site is full of true hobbyist, great guys with tons of knowledge about hp, maintenance and repair. However, most of them, including myself are amatures when it comes to set up and hydro dynamics. When is the last time you saw a thread on make the drives true? How about accurate trim and drive alignment to the gauges? Bottom blue printing??? Drive blue printing?

Us amatures add hp, prop work, and work for bullet proof set ups. The pros like RGIII at realfast find speed without adding hp, and sometimes the numbers are staggering (pun intended)

If your boat is clean, stick with it. Unless you are looking for the new interior offerings in the +2007 Models. Me personally I wouldn't make a change from my big step 38 for another unless it had the latest cockpit and cabin interior...and #6 drives. Because those modifications are cost prohibitive IMO.

You have lots of speed to gain. Talk to RGIII about set up and hp. Converting your boat to a semi stag setup may be an option as well. I don't know what the speed difference in a side by side small step to big step is, but I bet it's not as much as you make think...maybe 2-3 mph?

I can tell you adding speed definitely gives new interest to old toy. And of you add boost to that ride, hitting the sticks at 75 mph, hearing those blowers come to life while they pin your back to your seat, will put a smile on your face all summer long. The 38 hull simply feels ballistic at anything above 90mph.

Btw I run a big step 38 side by side, 575sci bumped to 700hp full hyd roller, on bravo xrs with 32 pitch bravo props. My top speed so far with this set up is 98.1 mph at 5700+ rpm. I got a 9mph gain with just hp over stock, I know there is more, but I am extremely happy witn the performance and reliability...however it's a long winter, so anything can change
Enuf of your mindless ramblings.....post pics of skanks.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:26 AM
Registered

So anyway. Call Reggie up. You get a boat that is a boat you know about ( the boat you have) you get performance.. No surprises.. Your boat looks like an 08. You dont have to worry about buying something else that will always have a suprise... Also JOIN ME IN THE QUEST TO OUT PERFORM ALL THE NEW DAMN STAGGARD BIG STEP BOATS ~~~ It is fun.... Chad
Old 09-20-2013, 01:51 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mcprodesign
So anyway. Call Reggie up. You get a boat that is a boat you know about ( the boat you have) you get performance.. No surprises.. Your boat looks like an 08. You dont have to worry about buying something else that will always have a suprise... Also JOIN ME IN THE QUEST TO OUT PERFORM ALL THE NEW DAMN STAGGARD BIG STEP BOATS ~~~ It is fun.... Chad
Chad, we welcome the competition. And it is fun! :-)
Old 09-20-2013, 03:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get after it Jason that way I know what its gonna take......winter is coming
Old 09-22-2013, 09:15 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by flying J
Get after it Jason that way I know what its gonna take......winter is coming
And still no pics of your chariot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.