Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Fountain (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/fountain-37/)
-   -   Repower advice (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/fountain/316095-repower-advice.html)

682gold 07-30-2014 10:48 AM

Repower advice

Ok fellow beak drivers. I have a 2000 38 Lightning w/ small steps. I currently have 525sc's that push her 78-81 depending on load, temp, conditions, prop etc. I like my boat and have gotten it where I want it. I want to get to mid 90's. Currently my motors are making roughly 480hp at the prop. One is a new refresh and the other will need it. What kind of HP do I need to get me to my goal? If I cannot get it to run mid 90's I will have to go a different way. I know we have probably beat this horse to death but I am at a crossroad and have to start making decisions on which way to go. Thanks in advance for your comments and help.

mcprodesign 07-30-2014 12:19 PM

6- 700. Depending on how well your boat is set up

4bus 07-30-2014 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by 682gold (Post 4162384)
Ok fellow beak drivers. I have a 2000 38 Lightning w/ small steps. I currently have 525sc's that push her 78-81 depending on load, temp, conditions, prop etc. I like my boat and have gotten it where I want it. I want to get to mid 90's. Currently my motors are making roughly 480hp at the prop. One is a new refresh and the other will need it. What kind of HP do I need to get me to my goal? If I cannot get it to run mid 90's I will have to go a different way. I know we have probably beat this horse to death but I am at a crossroad and have to start making decisions on which way to go. Thanks in advance for your comments and help.

420 or 871 blowers, or chilled 250s (bigger is preferred) Get the bottom checked out (blueprinted) -2 Short drives, upgrade gimbles, at least XR uppers, most likely 5 blade props. I would also pull both and do full roller conversion so you can run a better cam (about $4000 for both)

All that being said, you are gonna run the speed of a large step semi stag 525efi boat that could prob be had for less (and most likely more reliable) that what you will spend to upgrade.

682gold 07-30-2014 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by 4bus (Post 4162445)
420 or 871 blowers, or chilled 250s (bigger is preferred) Get the bottom checked out (blueprinted) -2 Short drives, upgrade gimbles, at least XR uppers, most likely 5 blade props. I would also pull both and do full roller conversion so you can run a better cam (about $4000 for both)

All that being said, you are gonna run the speed of a large step semi stag 525efi boat that could prob be had for less (and most likely more reliable) that what you will spend to upgrade.

Yes I am starting to realize that. Not sure if I want to wrap an additional sum of money into a 14 year old boat.

575cat 07-30-2014 02:36 PM

Bail before its too late !!!!!!!

mcprodesign 07-30-2014 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by 575cat (Post 4162515)
Bail before its too late !!!!!!!

Don't kid yourself. props. 1600-2500. eith hydro p5x or Maximus.. Herrings are even better but they are 3500 a set. Chad

Gh700xx 07-30-2014 05:40 PM

If im not mistaken the 525sc is a 454 based engine right? Personally if it was mine id throw a pair of 502 short blocks in it have Bob custom Grind your cams maybe re-pulley the blowers if ya need to (I have seen in a friends car where a change in displacement caused boost to drop enough it was necessary). Then blue print bottom and re-prop as necessary. The upside is you can always sell the 454 short blocks to recoup some of the money spent on the 502s. The only big down side to doing It this way is if you do have to spin the blowers harder they will make more heat and or be at their limit.

4bus 07-30-2014 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Gh700xx (Post 4162610)
If im not mistaken the 525sc is a 454 based engine right? Personally if it was mine id throw a pair of 502 short blocks in it have Bob custom Grind your cams maybe re-pulley the blowers if ya need to (I have seen in a friends car where a change in displacement caused boost to drop enough it was necessary). Then blue print bottom and re-prop as necessary. The upside is you can always sell the 454 short blocks to recoup some of the money spent on the 502s. The only big down side to doing It this way is if you do have to spin the blowers harder they will make more heat and or be at their limit.

Those 454 lowers will make 700 all day with a bigger blower and the right cam. If he was going that route I would go 540ci

682gold 07-30-2014 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Gh700xx (Post 4162610)

Originally Posted by 4bus (Post 4162639)
Those 454 lowers will make 700 all day with a bigger blower and the right cam. If he was going that route I would go 540ci

Let me clarify something. I have had to completely rebuild the starboard motor. When I did I upgraded to roller cam, hydraulic lifters, better cam etc. my engine builder overbuilds. He builds race engines. Got about $12k in that one. Was going to pull both out this winter and upgrade the other engine to match the rebuilt one. Was going to put a 250 blower kit on it from the blower shop. Was also going to put aluminum heads on it and upgrade exhaust. I think roughly $20 k to do it. I will then have $32k in it. Then sell off old blowers 088 heads and anything else I took off to offset cost no matter how small.

BLUEMAGIC 07-31-2014 05:03 AM

Do it right the first time, more cubes equal more power. Blowers and pro chargers are available but when trying to build power there is no replacement displacement. Just my two cents.