38 Express Cruiser questions, Exhaust Y pipe, Freshwater Pick-ups >

38 Express Cruiser questions, Exhaust Y pipe, Freshwater Pick-ups

Notices

38 Express Cruiser questions, Exhaust Y pipe, Freshwater Pick-ups

Old 11-27-2015, 06:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 38 Express Cruiser questions, Exhaust Y pipe, Freshwater Pick-ups

So I finally graduated into an Express Cruiser w 496HO and cant figure out why the exhaust tips go so far down into the water line and the Y pipe doesn't have a diverter or solenoid, both passages are totally open. Was curious if anyone could tell me about this set up. Also this boat has fresh water pick-ups in back of transom but there's a ball valve that can bypass them before the sea strainers.
Lots of new stuff to figure out. always had a sport boat but wife was tired of the Home Depo bucket for a potty

https://www.flickr.com/photos/220697.../shares/T35tVb
Old 11-27-2015, 06:38 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I
Originally Posted by monkfunk
So I finally graduated into an Express Cruiser w 496HO and cant figure out why the exhaust tips go so far down into the water line and the Y pipe doesn't have a diverter or solenoid, both passages are totally open. Was curious if anyone could tell me about this set up. Also this boat has fresh water pick-ups in back of transom but there's a ball valve that can bypass them before the sea strainers.
Lots of new stuff to figure out. always had a sport boat but wife was tired of the Home Depo bucket for a potty

https://www.flickr.com/photos/220697.../shares/T35tVb
nice boat. I will probably graduate to one of those in a few years. As fas as your question I can honestly say I have no idea. But I would like to know what you paid for it
Old 11-27-2015, 06:49 PM
Registered

@Drew555, been looking at these forever and was about ready to settle for a regular cruiser but chased this one down. Havent seen any under triple digits, ever. Lots and lots to learn. Keeping my 27 fever to run around and wanting to have this one ready for spring.
Old 11-27-2015, 07:01 PM
Registered

Good luck with it. Post some more pics
Old 11-27-2015, 11:13 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 136 Likes on 81 Posts

the tips go under water to quiet it down at idle.. the y pipe is used as a vent . the ball valve before the strainer is so you can fresh water flush while boat is still in the water.
Old 11-28-2015, 09:56 AM
Registered

What year. On my dads 09 the valve switches the pickup from the drives to the through hull pickups. The only reason I can think of is if your in shallow water.
Old 11-28-2015, 10:36 AM
Registered

Its a 2005. It looks like you said, the valve appears to switch from the drives to the thru hull pick-ups. Just not sure why you'd need both? Shallow water makes sense. Thanks for the reply's
Originally Posted by C.I.M.
What year. On my dads 09 the valve switches the pickup from the drives to the through hull pickups. The only reason I can think of is if your in shallow water.
Old 11-30-2015, 10:52 AM
Registered

I have an 2006. Fountain uses both the transom pickup and the drive to feed the engines with fresh water. Engine will overheat without both based on my experience. I found the design is really trick. The transom pickup is one of the most efficient ways of feeding water to the engines, but you still need to move water through the bravo to keep it cool. For flushing the exhaust and heat exchanger while still in salt water, you close the upper gate valve on the transom and close the lower ball valve with the rod and open the 1/2" water feed valve. As far as the exhaust, the turn down is to diminish noise when at idle. As far as the Y pipe diverter I can only imagine that Fountain wanted to minimize exhaust back pressure so they utilized both through hub and through hull exhaust. Love mine!!!