Soft spot by motor mount bracket >

Soft spot by motor mount bracket

Notices

Soft spot by motor mount bracket

Old 04-17-2016, 06:45 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Soft spot by motor mount bracket

I was getting my bilge/ motor compartment cleaned up today since my engine will be complete very soon, and discovered the bracket where the motor mount bolts to was loose where it bolts to the stringer. I began to snug them up and I noticed it was starting to really crush the fiberglass without really tightening the bolt much. I grabbed the bracket and gave it a shake and I noticed a fair amount of flex in the stringer. I did the same to the other side stringer and that was solid as a rock so I was immediately concerned. I tapped the fiberglass with the end of my rachet to listen to see how solid it was. It definetly had a different sound compared to the other stringer so I pulled the bolts and bracket off. Sure enough it seems punky where the bolts go through the stringer. I tapped from one end of the stringer to the other, and found its a soft spot of around 16 inches. I know of the engine being out of the boat at least 4 times in its life, and it looks like somehow the bolt holes were getting a drink from water in the bilge since the bolts were not tight sealing the plate to the fiberglass. If I had to guess, this has been like this for many years. At this point what needs to happen? Can this be repaired without replacing the entire stringer? Very frustrated at this point!

Also, I did poke a scribe in to see how soft the wood was in the bolt holes and the wood towards the bottom of the boat was solid and the wood towards the upper surface of the stringer was soft. Like I said the damage does seem to be minimal, just not sure where to go from here. Thanks again

[ATTACH=CONFIG]554300[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]554301[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]554302[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]554303[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Soft spot by motor mount bracket-image.jpg   Soft spot by motor mount bracket-image.jpg   Soft spot by motor mount bracket-image.jpg  

Soft spot by motor mount bracket-image.jpg  
Old 04-17-2016, 07:03 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Drill inspection holes until you find solid wood. Hopefully you're right and it's just mount bolt holes. I believe glassdave would be the best person to ask but you may be able to finger splice in right there and reglass. Also I would pull other side and verify. If it is indeed solid reveal all holes very good.
Old 04-17-2016, 07:24 PM
Registered

Thanks for the reply, could you elaborate a "finger splice"? I'm guessing open the fiberglass and cut a solid edge in the "good" wood and install a pice where the bad was removed? Are there other ways of fixing this the right way without replacing that whole stringer?
Old 04-17-2016, 07:50 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

By finger splice I mean like a puzzle. Lock your fingers one above the other. Cutting new board in with old. A flat butt splice serves no strength. Minimal I would guess would be interlocking finger style. Like I said pm glassdave and tell him to check this thread. He is super helpful in these areas.
Old 04-19-2016, 01:12 PM
Registered

I found a guy here local that is going to do the repair. I had him take a look at it and he said it will be a piece of cake. Hopefully it will be finished and have the engine in and ready to go in a few weeks. Bring on summer!