Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Fountain (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/fountain-37/)
-   -   2004 42 Fountain Staggered 525 Best Setup (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/fountain/341628-2004-42-fountain-staggered-525-best-setup.html)

Esal 09-30-2016 03:22 PM

2004 42 Fountain Staggered 525 Best Setup

Just bought a 2004 42 Fountain with staggered 525s with 2 inch sportmaster lowers running Maxims 5 blade 30 pitch labbed props. Question is what is the best setup for this boat are the drives too short are the props correct? Any help would be great. I was told by the previous owner that the fastest he saw with current setup was 85 mph with front tanks full of fuel and smooth water.

Crude Intentions 09-30-2016 09:46 PM

85 is movin for that boat. I've read the 5 blades are hard on drives. She's a beauty. Bill Lemanske had one. The guy who bought his added whipples and went over 100. Just sayin. Lol

joew. 10-03-2016 10:11 AM

I have an 05 with fresh 525's. I ran the Maximus 30's and my boat didn't like them as much as the bravo 32's. That said, I have heard people say the exact opposite and they love the Maximus props. Bblades recommends the Maximus props. If your boat is running 85 and gets out of the hole okay, I wouldn't change a thing. Other then whipples as previously mentioned:)

Esal 10-03-2016 12:44 PM

Joew and ICU thank you for your help. Joey what are you running for lowers are they shorties and if so how short? Also with the bravos what is your time to plane and top speed?

Thanks
Eric

joew. 10-03-2016 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Esal (Post 4487705)
Joew and ICU thank you for your help. Joey what are you running for lowers are they shorties and if so how short? Also with the bravos what is your time to plane and top speed?

Thanks
Eric

Mine are standard length drives. No ITS, no shorties, and 1:50 ratio xr's swept backs.
I am not sure how my X dimension matches other fountains. My understanding is that Reggie played a lot with the x on these boats. I know typically they change the x at the lower, but they may have also adjusted the engine/gimbal/drive location up and down over the years or boat to boat.

I have never timed my hole shot with either prop, but I can say my boat would blow out the 5 blades trying to get on plane. The four blades take me about 1/2 as long if I had to guess. Top speed so far is 82 with the 4 blades. New out of the box with no additional work. My original 5 blade herrings (which I still have if anyone needs props) hit 83-84 with the tired engines but didn't plane well. The Maximus props needed work to get to the max rpm. Out of the box, they wouldn't turn more then 4800, and I still have not sent them in to get the extra rpm/speed. I imagine once Brett with Bblades has a chance to lab them, I can get in the low/mid 80's. Not sure if the planning will get better or worse though.

TRL505 10-04-2016 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by Esal (Post 4486675)
Just bought a 2004 42 Fountain with staggered 525s with 2 inch sportmaster lowers running Maxims 5 blade 30 pitch labbed props. Question is what is the best setup for this boat are the drives too short are the props correct? Any help would be great. I was told by the previous owner that the fastest he saw with current setup was 85 mph with front tanks full of fuel and smooth water.

Sounds like u have a pretty solid setup. Front tanks full and 85 is respectful. I figure with low fuel u will pick up 2-3mph. What RPM r u spinning at WOT? With your current shortie setup u believe 5 blades will be ur best bet. I had this exact same setup before I made the "brilliant" decision to start modding...lol. As I recall my top speed was similar to what you should be seeing when low on fuel.

Esal 10-04-2016 02:03 PM

Thank you guys for the responses. TRL505 I'm not sure of the rpm i was just going off what the previous owner said he had gotten out of it. TRL did you have a hard time getting out of the hole? This thing with the current setup takes some time to get out of the hole and you have to work the throttles to keep it from blowing out. I guess Im wondering if it is just the nature of the beast?

TRL505 10-05-2016 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Esal (Post 4488138)
Thank you guys for the responses. TRL505 I'm not sure of the rpm i was just going off what the previous owner said he had gotten out of it. TRL did you have a hard time getting out of the hole? This thing with the current setup takes some time to get out of the hole and you have to work the throttles to keep it from blowing out. I guess Im wondering if it is just the nature of the beast?

Yeah, it kinda is simply the way it is with a higher propshaft/Xdimension height. Make sure drives are fully tucked, and tabs all the way down. It may take u some time to get it down, but once you figure it out it becomes habit. Id rather have a bigger top end number, than a hole shot. Imo.

dlange 10-06-2016 09:05 PM

Esal 85 is 99% better than most 04's will do. Mine had only 82 in it. Same year/ setup. Just add fuel and enjoy. It's running right where it should. I know that boat and its really clean, and set up right.

SLOWRIDE-388 10-06-2016 09:37 PM

Enjoy it! I've got spacers and four blades available.....