Garage door height >

Garage door height

Notices

Garage door height

Old 01-10-2018, 07:27 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Garage door height

Any one have any trouble getting their boat in a 8' high garage door? Got a 96 29' fever. I put a 8' level on top of the windscreen and measured down the side to the ground. Looks close but was wondering if the overhead door would hang down lower than the opening when it's up.I'm building a 30 x 40 x 10 pole barn. I guess I could use a drop receiver to back it in with.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:34 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You should build 30X50X12 that way when you want to move up to a 42' or a 47' you will have room.
Trust me.... you will want to go bigger.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:41 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had to replace my standard 7' door for a 8' to get my 32' in no problem. Trailer was a leaf spring, so it sat a tad higher than a torsion trailer. Plexy w/s with the top curve.

You can always set your opener to raise door higher than your header if possible. I had my door stop at the 7' height, so when I needed the full opening, I'd just pull the latch and manually raise it up past the opening and put a clamp in the track to hold door up, as that is higher than the door spring would lift. But a new barn not yet built, go taller door.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:43 PM
Registered

Received 460 Likes on 244 Posts

agreed, go 12 w/ a 10 x 10 door,
just make sure the barn builders last name isn't fountain otherwise a 10 foot door will really only be an 8 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i had to do it.
Old 01-10-2018, 09:32 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hear ya! Bigger is always better, that goes without saying for boats and buildings.I have a local guy who does a 30x40x10' "special" that includes concrete and insulation for 18900 and it's within my budget. We were going stick built but after several very high quotes we settled on the pole building.The wife said she doesn't want a monstrosity behind the house so.... Hmmm , ya think she would really notice if I went 30x50x12 lol.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:38 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 948 Likes on 477 Posts

Not sure about your Garage door opener, but mine has adjustment screws for how far up and down the door goes....when i moved in, the door was hanging lower then the opening and my roof rack on the truck would rub....turned the screw and raised the door now you don't even see any part of the door when open and i can fly into the garage without touching anything

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 01-11-2018, 11:46 AM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

As I planned mine it kept expanding before we broke ground. I had settled on 12ft tall doors when a friend mentioned his father had bought an RV and the AC or it's roof wouldn't fit under their 12 ft tall doors......so I used (2) 12 wide x 14 tall doors on a 30 x 56 x 15 garage. Even has a second floor in it. The complete build thread is here if your looking for ideas.

(mines the one with the big azz garage in the back yard! LOL)

390726-garage-pics-hangar-depending-your-view.html
Attached Thumbnails Garage door height-overhead-garage-house.jpg  
Old 01-11-2018, 12:10 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

DEFINITELY bump it up to 12' tall interior height, and 10' tall door. Pay the extra money, you will be happy you did.
You could also go for a "low clearance" garage door setup where the garage door tracks are bolted pretty much to the rafters, and you have a garage door height that is 12-18" taller.

That whole drop/adjusting the receiver thing when going in and out is going to turn into a real PITA.
Do you have any slope in front of your building? If the truck is down low, that will drop the windscreen height a shade. Also, you could dig a "trench" (assuming you have a gravel drive) so the rear tires of your truck dip down 2-3" just at the right distance where your windscreen dips under the door.
Old 01-11-2018, 06:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 45x45 with 12w X10h doors I have a bay on the side that has 10w X 8h that I keep boat in. My 27 Fountain on a Mico with torsion axle fits fine. My old 33Powerplay was right at the 8 ft and made it in had to push door up to make sure it was up all the way, once it clears the low spot of door it was fine
Old 01-11-2018, 07:05 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by FOUNTAINFLY
.......The wife said she doesn't want a monstrosity behind the house so.... Hmmm , ya think she would really notice if I went 30x50x12 lol.
Get the bigger barn, and a room addition on the house for the wifey!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.