More 38 EC questions...

Notices

More 38 EC questions...

Old 07-04-2018, 08:48 PM
10M
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More 38 EC questions...

I'm not new to boating but new to this boat, and some of the systems are....interesting. Just when I think I have it figured out something else comes up and confuses me. Love the boat, just trying to get it all figured out.

We were out this week for 3 days/3 nights on anchor. Family of 4, being pretty conservative about water but ran out of fresh water in a day and a half. Tank was full to start. As soon as I found out we had no more water in the tank, realized the toilet wouldn't fill up either. I thought the toilet was supposed to use raw water...? Is it pulling water from the fresh water tank? That would explain why we ran out so fast and toilet wouldn't fill once we were out, but why the hell would they do that? How is it plumbed? I'm not real sure how the whole system works but it seems like the toilet should fill with raw water regardless of the fresh water tank. I don't see any valves, and the only pumps I can see in the bilge are the fresh water pump with 1 in and 1 out, and one going through the hull that is marked Dometic. I assumed this was for the toilet but it doesn't do anything when the toilet is flushed. So.... How the hell does the plumbing on this thing work...??

Next: Batteries. There are 3. I assume 2 house batteries and 1 for the generator. I keep 1 switch on 1, the other on 2, with the assumption that the 12v utilities would use 1 battery and leave 1 for starting. Same scenario (3 days at anchor, using only the necessities), the batteries were losing voltage each day even with running the generator in the morning and evening and starting the engines a couple times. Seems like the on board battery charger is very slow to recharge the batteries. I knew the batteries were getting critically weak, and sure enough it wouldn't start when it was time to leave. I put both battery switches to BOTH, still wouldn't crank. Jumped it, but wanted to avoid draining the both that far.
SO... Is it normal to have to run the generator so much in order to keep the batteries charged, and more importantly, what should I do with battery switches to ensure I will be able to start the boat if one goes dead? Does the house 12v power pull from both batteries all the time? I'm having a hard time figuring out how it's all wired...

Thanks in advance
Old 07-18-2018, 11:02 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great post,

Firstly how did you get the anchor to hold for 3 days

the batteries are a real pain, my batteries were bridge in series so really made no difference those switches, if one switch was on both were on. I guess this was retrofitted post factory. The genset battery was isolated. I replaced all those push button circuit breakers that made a large difference for the electrics. both in function, and draw. for the majority of the toys on mine i need the genset to be running, (icemaker, microwave, tv, hob, ac) so generally i have it on for a few hours a day when on the boat.

I ve not noticed the toilet on fresh water, but i have the engines out shortly so will be able to investigate further. the fresh water is on the small side for more then a couple of people, even day trips having showers off the back i normally need to refill it.

Be great to see some pictures.
Old 07-19-2018, 01:57 PM
10M
Registered

Originally Posted by mawfun
Great post,

Firstly how did you get the anchor to hold for 3 days

the batteries are a real pain, my batteries were bridge in series so really made no difference those switches, if one switch was on both were on. I guess this was retrofitted post factory. The genset battery was isolated. I replaced all those push button circuit breakers that made a large difference for the electrics. both in function, and draw. for the majority of the toys on mine i need the genset to be running, (icemaker, microwave, tv, hob, ac) so generally i have it on for a few hours a day when on the boat.

I ve not noticed the toilet on fresh water, but i have the engines out shortly so will be able to investigate further. the fresh water is on the small side for more then a couple of people, even day trips having showers off the back i normally need to refill it.

Be great to see some pictures.
I meant to reply to a couple threads about the anchor because this was one of the first things I addressed on this boat. Long story short, a 22lb Delta fits and works. I tried a 22lb Lewmar Claw because it would have fit perfect against the front of the boat, but the arm of it wouldn't fit all the way in the opening of the hull. It was a little too tall and the 90 degree part got wedged. I was thinking about messing with a smaller roller to make it fit but decided to try a Delta. The delta holds well, the only downside is because of the shape it wedges crooked against the hull when locked in place. I decided it was a small price to pay for peace of mind when anchoring, since we anchor every time we use the boat. Now I set it and forget it.

As far as water goes, I'm pretty sure the toilet draws from fresh water, I assume it's because they don't want salt water to ruin the toilet components. I'd rather it pull raw water, but it is what it is I guess. Going to just plan on refilling water as often as possible.

It would be nice to figure out the battery situation. I ran the generator for a couple hours a day each day and it still wan't enough to keep up with the battery usage on the boat. Does anybody know what amperage the chargers charge at? Must be pretty small because they dont recover very quickly with the generator on. All the batteries are starting batteries also, maybe that's part of the problem.

One more thing, what was the original setup for the cockpit fridge? First off my boat has a fridge there not an icemaker. My 120 panel has a "fridge" breaker and an "icemaker" breaker. The icemaker doesn't seem to do anything, and the fridge breaker runs the fridge in the galley. I eventually found out my rear fridge only runs on 12V and is turned on by a random "accessory" breaker, but it is plugged into a regular outlet (120 outlet). Is this how it came? I'm wondering if it was retrofitted with the 12v fridge. If so, it would be nice to convert back to 120 there someday, as that fridge doesn't work very well below 12.5 volts and draws the batteries down quick. Very odd setup, hence my confusion.

Any other help on what all the other accessory breakers are for? There are a handful of them and I can't figure out what most of them are for...
Old 07-19-2018, 02:04 PM
10M
Registered

Last edited by 10M; 07-19-2018 at 02:05 PM. Reason: duplicate
Old 07-19-2018, 05:24 PM
Registered

Unfortunately i havent worked out what those accessary breakers do either.

unfortunately my boat came with virtually zero documentation. which makes it fun working out what everything does i guess. still enjoy the boat and cant work out what i will trade it for when that time comes.

The anchor would make it much more useable as i can never relax while it is on anchor currently, had one bad experience.

would be great to see some pictures, and i will try publish some with the motors out, so can have a better idea of plumbing .
Old 07-19-2018, 10:47 PM
10M
Registered

Originally Posted by mawfun
Unfortunately i havent worked out what those accessary breakers do either.

unfortunately my boat came with virtually zero documentation. which makes it fun working out what everything does i guess. still enjoy the boat and cant work out what i will trade it for when that time comes.

The anchor would make it much more useable as i can never relax while it is on anchor currently, had one bad experience.

would be great to see some pictures, and i will try publish some with the motors out, so can have a better idea of plumbing .
I'm in the same boat (ha!)... bought from a broker who said the previous owner had nothing. Supposedly the boat was broken into when it was a year or 2 old and all the books were taken out. Said broker was not very familiar with the boat. There has been a bit of a learning curve, and I've been boating my whole life. Regardless I love the boat, it's exactly what I was looking for/expecting, just need to figure out the details on how everything works. I will attach some pics someday, this site is a pain in the a$$ and my phone/iPad have been acting up so I don't have the patience right now. I have been trying to update my threads because when I was trying to find answers on these boats there are very few.. Hopefully it will help someone else someday.
Old 07-20-2018, 06:59 AM
Registered

10M. Let me see if I can help with a few of the questions. I believe Fountain may have an owner's manual on their website, or you may need to call. I purchased new (dumb idea, I know), and the manual didn't come with the boat, had to go on-line. If I remember correctly, each battery switch is connected to a set of breakers that work various sides of the boat, engine, trim, cockpit, seats, etc. So, if you want to preserve a battery, then select 1 on both switches and that will run all electrical components from battery 1. The third battery is for the generator. There is also an emergency link that is a grey box mounted on the surface of the boat, to the left of the breaker panel. This is a switch that links the generator battery to the other 2 batteries. It is a little tricky to switch, but you should be able to make that happen. Toilet definitely runs off fresh water. I think it is cheaper to have just one water pump running all lines than to install a separate pump and thru hull fitting for just the toilet. Also, the boat is lighter and faster without that extra pump and plumbing lines Go Fountain! I ran out of waste tank on one of my first trips. When we shower, the toilet fills with shower water and then pumping that shower water into the waste tank fills it quick. I made a vinyl cover for the toilet when showering. I have to fill the tank about every 1-2 days when we boat, but that includes showers after swimming in salt water. Check your battery charger and make sure it is charging with the generator running. I have had to replace to battery charges due to their failure, not sure why, just wouldn't charge the batteries. Boat has a lot of extra breakers in the interior panel, due to Fountain only needing some of the breakers. These boats came with an ice maker under the cockpit sink. Someone replaced with another fridge. My original ice maker only worked off of 120 volt. There is an outlet in the rear of the compartment for the fridge. If the fridge you have also runs on 12 volt, someone ran a new power lead and connected to accessory breaker.
Old 07-20-2018, 10:35 PM
10M
Registered

Great info thank you. I had figured out a lot of this (although it has taken most of the summer) but it is nice to confirm things like the ice maker and battery switches. I didn't realize the grey box was an emergeny link to bat #3, that is useful. I downloaded the manual online but it only has high level info, not these details. Thanks again
Old 07-23-2018, 11:44 PM
Registered

One more question,

Do you know how the stereo is wired? is there an amplifier? Reason being, the kenwood headunit(kts-300mr) with remote would light up but never played any sound. I thought that the unit had become compromised so i replaced the head unit. i selected a new kenwood as i thought the wiring would be the same. it wasnt although close and i had to wire the new connection in. Same thing it would light up but no sound. ( i breifly got 2 speakers to make a sound but then it stopped when i tried to use the balance, I never get more sound). Therefore i thought there must be a remote wire to an amp somewhere or a dodgy amp, but i have yet to discover one(an amp or a remote wire). The only other option is all 4 speakers are broken, which i think is unlikely.

I am about to move to wireless speakers if i can't resolve this soon, as i play 99% of the music from my phone anyway. I will likely change the dvd player to a apple tv if i do this.

Has anyone else upgraded the entertainment system?
Old 08-03-2018, 06:43 AM
Registered

on my 2006, my remote amp is mounted under the bench seat in the galley. These boats came with varying stereo options, I had a slightly upgraded package on mine. I added a four channel amp, speakers on the transom, four sub woofers on the starboard side below the seats and 2 6.5" in the radar arch, All kenwood amps and speakers. The four subs really bring the base. Sorry, not much help with your question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.