Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
Anyone replace their anchor light base? >

Anyone replace their anchor light base?

Notices

Anyone replace their anchor light base?

Old 06-13-2019, 10:00 PM
Registered

Received 286 Likes on 177 Posts
Default Anyone replace their anchor light base?

My 29 yr old Fountain needs a new anchor light base. I've looked and looked but haven't been able to locate one anywhere. It was made by Perko but their current offering is smaller and won't fit. Anyone been down this road before?
Old 06-15-2019, 02:52 AM
Registered

Wound up installing a new 3-pin base on top of the old base. Had to open up the inside diameter of the old base with a die grinder. Drilled and tapped holes in the old base then screwed the new base on. Doesn't look too bad at all. Hardest part was finding just the right length screws to thread into the old base but not hit the gel coat. Luckily my magic tool box came thru.

In retrospect, I probably should have used a 2-pin base. Haven't had much luck finding a 48" 3-pin pole with masthead/anchor lights (old pole died).
Now I'm wondering if I can use a 2 pin pole. Don't see why I couldn't drill an extra dummy hole in the plastic connector of a 2-pin pole. I'll need to swap a couple of wires around, but no biggie. Will also have to remember to run both anchor and nav lights while underway.

Perko advertises a "Heavy Duty" anchor light and base on their site. I downloaded the base install manual that contained a drill guide. Looks like it will line up with the orig holes.
Problems are:
1. 4 week delivery (need to be night time legal before the 4th)
2. Base uses special order 7/8" diameter pole (2-pin only)
3. Expensive. (>$400 for base and pole)

Installed

Old base ready to receive new base.

All together on the bench.

Used die grinder to open up center hole. Didn't remove much material except where new base has a notch. It's a very snug fit. I could have centered it a little better.
Old 06-20-2019, 11:51 PM
Registered

Picked-up a Perko Delta Series 48" all around pole light. It was a 2 pin but already has a dummy hole for the 3rd pin so I was able to use the 3-pin base. Wiring needs to be swapped around. Anchor light switch connects to 1 pin and ground on the other pin. Nav light wire connects to anchor wire thru a power diode. This allows the anchor light to be illuminated via the nav light switch and prevents the navs coming on with the anchor light switch. Light is a low-glare model which blocks light shining down. Should make fireworks show more enjoyable w/o that old light shining in my eyes all evening.
Old 06-21-2019, 12:10 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Yes. Most that have had pole issues go to 2 pin. They all have the dummy hole to my knowledge. The split light was pointless on our boats anyway with the pole being aft of the cockpit. That only really makes sense if the pole is forward. My 272sr1 has the pole at the windshield. The white light of the mast stayed forward.

Anyhow glad you got it worked out. I’ll be rewiring mine when I get home lol
Old 06-22-2019, 03:13 PM
Registered

A couple of minor issues with how I wired it.
1. Anchor/all-around light is slightly dimmer when powered thru nav light switch only. Probably of combination of running more lights and the ~0.5V drop across the diode. Noticed this on the trailer. Didn't think to look for it when I was running on the water.
2. The Anchor light indicator and the nav light indicator on the dash both illuminate when just the nav switch is activated. Could add another diode but it's not really a problem for me.
Old 07-12-2019, 05:33 AM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by zz28zz
Wound up installing a new 3-pin base on top of the old base. Had to open up the inside diameter of the old base with a die grinder. Drilled and tapped holes in the old base then screwed the new base on. Doesn't look too bad at all. Hardest part was finding just the right length screws to thread into the old base but not hit the gel coat. Luckily my magic tool box came thru.

In retrospect, I probably should have used a 2-pin base. Haven't had much luck finding a 48" 3-pin pole with masthead/anchor lights (old pole died).
Now I'm wondering if I can use a 2 pin pole. Don't see why I couldn't drill an extra dummy hole in the plastic connector of a 2-pin pole. I'll need to swap a couple of wires around, but no biggie. Will also have to remember to run both anchor and nav lights while underway.

Perko advertises a "Heavy Duty" anchor light and base on their site. I downloaded the base install manual that contained a drill guide. Looks like it will line up with the orig holes.
Problems are:
1. 4 week delivery (need to be night time legal before the 4th)
2. Base uses special order 7/8" diameter pole (2-pin only)
3. Expensive. (>$400 for base and pole)

Installed

Old base ready to receive new base.

All together on the bench.

Used die grinder to open up center hole. Didn't remove much material except where new base has a notch. It's a very snug fit. I could have centered it a little better.
Nice job!