Mystery fuel leak 98 35 with twin 502 Mag MPI

Notices

Mystery fuel leak 98 35 with twin 502 Mag MPI

Old 05-18-2021, 04:24 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Mystery fuel leak 98 35 with twin 502 Mag MPI

Here’s the story:

took boat out twice last fall. Bumped something in the water on the second trip. Zero issues. 40-60 gallon in each side. Parked in my front yard. Found some fuel under the port motor and dripping out of the plug. Boat was on an incline so I attributed it to something angle related.

took it to a reputable mechanic, cigs, more expensive fountains,. Etc. No leaks. Pressurized the tank, ran the fuel pumps. No issue. Picked back up. Added 10 gallon to each side. Ran each motor for 30 minutes to winterize. Shut off valves. Checked on the boat 4 times over the winter. No issues. Sat level.

Picked up the boat this spring. 6 weeks ago. Added 20 gallons to each side. Checked on it over the past few weeks. (At my house). Nothing. Went out today and we have raw fuel. It’s the first/ second warm day of the year 75 -80 degrees. Fuel valves still off and hasn’t been started. I have fuel up along the top Stringer, middle stringer and lowest. Boat is the opposite of what it was in the fall(nose heavy). Now this spring I kept the nose low after taking it out.

Old 05-18-2021, 07:53 PM
Registered

Top stringer is anti Freeze from the fall. So it’s the middle and down

Last edited by BigPoppa05; 05-18-2021 at 08:41 PM.
Old 05-18-2021, 08:04 PM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 448 Posts

without going through the pressurizing of the tank test again, could it be something as simple as leaking around the fuel senders or a cracked fitting just based on the fact that it leaked when the bow was up, raising the fuel level in the back of the tanks significantly higher than before... or the tank is leaking high on the tank toward the aft
Old 05-18-2021, 08:44 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by speicher lane
without going through the pressurizing of the tank test again, could it be something as simple as leaking around the fuel senders or a cracked fitting just based on the fact that it leaked when the bow was up, raising the fuel level in the back of the tanks significantly higher than before... or the tank is leaking high on the tank toward the aft
this fall I had bow high. This spring it’s bow low. Same result. How are the tanks laid out in a 35? Long and skinny ?
Old 05-19-2021, 06:42 AM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

When the tank was tested was all of the gas out?
If not it could still be the tank

Tie some paper towels on anything fuel related (pump, lines) and see if any get wet sitting
Old 05-19-2021, 09:06 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by AllDodge
When the tank was tested was all of the gas out?
If not it could still be the tank

Tie some paper towels on anything fuel related (pump, lines) and see if any get wet sitting
I believe fuel was still in the tank

valves are off so I like that idea.

Since I still have the valves off I may try some fuel dye If it’s in the bildge then the tanks leaking

anything temperature related that could cause fuel expansion and leak