Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Fountain (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/fountain-37/)
-   -   When it says E, it means E (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/fountain/54431-when-says-e-means-e.html)

pullmytrigger 07-14-2003 08:57 PM

When it says E, it means E

Wow, out fooling around on Sunday evening, pulling the tube around out in front of the marina before calling it a day, the gas gauge gets right down near E, I figure "ahhhh, we'll be ok, were just out front of the marina......." gauge getting lower,the SECOND it lines right up with the last line, dead centre of the E.....quits....done.....no restarting.......stranded.......toast.....have to get towed in 1/2 mi by a cruiser........I normally dont let it go below 1/4..........now I know..........when it says E........doug:rolleyes:

US1 Fountain 07-15-2003 12:15 AM

Wonder if it is a Fountain thing.

My 27 would only read 3/4 when full. I could run for 3 months before it would start moving. At 1/2 reading, start looking for a gas dock. Don't THINK about thinking about getting gas.
1/2 -1/4 is only good for a few miles.
At 1/4 tank, the gas dock had better be within a stones throw distance, cause time you pull in, it will go to Empty. And it is!
Took 2 times to figure that out. Duh!
Wondering if my 32' is the same?

candyman35 07-15-2003 12:28 AM

Don't trust the gauges. I ran out still showing a 1/4 tank. I reset my mileage on the gps when I fill up. It's way more accurate.
Dan

Jana 07-15-2003 06:39 AM

Me too! Lucky thing, I was right in front of the marina when it happened and one of the boats came out and towed me in. Guess I should've watched that video before I took her out those first few times.

BAJA WILL 07-15-2003 07:03 AM

:D Yep, as soon as the needle starts to move around start looking for a Marina, if it moves past 1/2, you better be on your way to the marina;)

WILL

GotTheFever 07-15-2003 09:08 AM

Ran out of gas and had to be pulled in by a pontoon boat. Gage said 1/4 tank, 2 minutes later, empty. Now I don't let it get below 1/2 tank. Problem is, when on plane, and the boat is bouncing around, it's hard to tell exactly where it is at. I normally judge it based on when the boat is still in the water.

fountain27ho496 07-15-2003 11:49 AM

Its a fountain thing

And people ask why I always top off..
Havn't run out, but my wife and I ran across cumberland
from jamestown to burn side, said 3/4, I topped it off
took 41 gallons. Holds 61, I was almost a bobber.John

later 07-15-2003 05:27 PM

My 42 will run on the low fuel lights for 20miles or better the port side has the fuel pickup shorter than the starboard side so you will always have one motor to limp home on
later

Mate 229 07-15-2003 07:34 PM

The crappy little 61 gal tank is the only thing I hate about my boat. I also ran out 2nd time out. gauge just came off full and said time to head back. As I drove back to the ramp I actually watched it drop as I drove, when the little warning light comes on you're toast. I ran out at the mouth of the marina, luckily the wind was blowing into it and I floated in slowly to the dock, talk about luck!!!

US1 Fountain 07-16-2003 09:55 PM

Originally posted by candyman35
Don't trust the gauges. I ran out still showing a 1/4 tank. I reset my mileage on the gps when I fill up. It's way more accurate.
Dan

Yeah, but Dan.............don't you have to run it out of gas once in order to know how far you can go?