Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Ft Myers Offshore (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/ft-myers-offshore-186/)
-   -   Need Input, Advice, Your Opinions, ... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/ft-myers-offshore/128335-need-input-advice-your-opinions.html)

pashn8boater 04-24-2006 10:03 AM

Need Input, Advice, Your Opinions, ...

Need Input, advice, your opinions, your 2 cents worth please.

New to Florida. Been a boater for many, many years. Looking to purchase my first offshore style boat and would appreciate some advice on size/brand of boat.

I will be towing with a Dodge Durango, so I will need to stay away from the larger hulls. I like to scuba dive, so I would like a boat that would be accommodating for that sport (swim platform). And LOVE Speed! Would like to be in the mid 60's to upper 70's.

My questions, ... is 24-26' going to be too short of a hull? Like a Pantera/Superboat/Sunsation? (All three of these manufactuers boats have the 7' beams.)

With gas costs continuing to rise, I don't want to own a nice boat, and have it sit on the trailer because I can't afford the GAS!

Thank you to all of you ahead of time. I know that a lot of you have tons of experience out here off of Ft. Myers and really appreciate your expertise.

Terry

AGGRAVATION28 04-24-2006 02:49 PM

Re: Need Input, Advice, Your Opinions, ...

Welcome to the area. A 24 to 26 boat isn't too small for the area...I have a 30 Velocity with small power and most days its plenty large enough...lost of protected water from the river and inside the islands. The gulf is often flat or with gentle small rollers. Lots of shallow areas...be careful....study the maps and get a GPS. Where in Ft Myers are you. When you gonna get the boat?

Skip

Bobthebuilder 04-24-2006 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by pashn8boater
Need Input, advice, your opinions, your 2 cents worth please.

My questions, ... is 24-26' going to be too short of a hull? Like a Pantera/Superboat/Sunsation? (All three of these manufactuers boats have the 7' beams.)

Terry

One of the beauties of boating in south west FL is the protected waters we have that allow us to go out even on a windy day. As you probably know you can go from Ft Myers all the way to Tampa bay and even to Clearwater without having to go out in the Gulf.
The boats you mention are all good choices and you will have a lot of fun on the water. On our New Years Day fun run we had a Panterra as well as a Sunsation along. Lots of small Baja's here as well. My advise would be to buy as much length as you can afford as that is what will give you the best ride.
Just be aware tho that if the wind is blowing you may not get out on the Gulf but as stated there is lots of intercoastal water to work with. Good luck with whatever you decide and hope you can join us for a run[s].
Bob
:D

jayboat 04-26-2006 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by AGGRAVATION28
Welcome to the area. A 24 to 26 boat isn't too small for the area...I have a 30 Velocity with small power and most days its plenty large enough...lost of protected water from the river and inside the islands. The gulf is often flat or with gentle small rollers. Lots of shallow areas...be careful....study the maps and get a GPS. Where in Ft Myers are you. When you gonna get the boat?

Skip

Very glad to hear you say that, Skip... The water here is usually so calm that is exactly what I have been thinking lately as I dream about my next boat.

Terry- I would suggest that you touch base with one of our members, Tom Cullen (Megabyte*3) at Caloosa Isle Boats. Tom is the Sunsation dealer here in Ft Myers and is a stand up guy. His considerable experience would be of help to anyone looking for a boat, and... his office is right between the Bridge Restaurant and Gulf Star- you can eat, drink and get gas while you shoot the breeze about boats! :drink:

good luck with your search, and keep us posted.

nice meeting you guys this wknd. ;)

pashn8boater 04-26-2006 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by AGGRAVATION28

Skip

Just got into town yesterday afternoon. Long drive from San Diego. Been unpacking, so I apologise for not ansering your questions earlier.
I live in S. Fort Myers/Estero. That makes it 9 miles either way to a boat ramp. lol
Looking to purchase a boat within the next 2-3 weeks. Would love to watch the boat races from the water instead of the beach. Will have to wait and see.

pashn8boater 04-26-2006 07:20 PM

Terry- I would suggest that you touch base with one of our members, Tom Cullen (Megabyte*3) at Caloosa Isle Boats. Tom is the Sunsation dealer here in Ft Myers and is a stand up guy. His considerable experience would be of help to anyone looking for a boat, and... his office is right between the Bridge Restaurant and Gulf Star- you can eat, drink and get gas while you shoot the breeze about boats! :drink:

I happened to meet him today. Didn't know he was a FMO member. He did mention that he was a Sunsation dealer though. Wish my budget allowed for a new boat, but there seems to be a few mid 90's out there with attractive price tags. There is one here on OffshoreOnly that is up in Michigan. Might be flying up there this weekend. There is also a '90 Sonic w/Twin 200's up in Deleware that I would like to look at.
I will keep you posted. If you hear of anything in the 24-28' range with a single I/O or single/twin OB's with a price tag under 35k, let me know.

Thanks,
Terry

jayboat 04-27-2006 08:23 AM

Whoops, got you confused with Dennis (bowtye8) from saturday...
it was those jello shots... :p

Welcome to Florida, Terry,
post some pix of your ride as soon as you get it!

pashn8boater 05-02-2006 07:37 AM

It is official, I am the new owner of a 24' Baja Outlaw SST.
You may know the boat. I bought it from Hans, aka "Rockstrmkr".
I am looking forward to hitting the water and meeting all of you in the very near future.

Bobthebuilder 05-02-2006 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by pashn8boater
It is official, I am the new owner of a 24' Baja Outlaw SST.
You may know the boat. I bought it from Hans, aka "Rockstrmkr".
I am looking forward to hitting the water and meeting all of you in the very near future.

Congrats. You will enjoy it I,m sure. Post some pics when you get time.
I'm still waiting for Hans to make me into a rock star tho!! LOL
What's next Hans ? You can't live on Marco and not have a boat for long !!
Bob

jayboat 05-02-2006 10:52 AM

Yeah, we need some photos, bro... :D

Congratulations!