Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Boat Club Forums > Ft Myers Offshore
Important message to all my FMO friends.  Please read. >

Important message to all my FMO friends. Please read.

Notices

Important message to all my FMO friends. Please read.

Old 01-09-2008, 11:27 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Important message to all my FMO friends. Please read.

For the time being I have decided to withdraw from taking a leadership role in organizing any additional offshore boating events.
For some time now, I have had concerns as to what my liability is as an organizer, if there were to be a serious boating accident at one of our events. At this time I have been following a thread in General Boating Discussion called “Smoke on the Water Poker Run is no more“. ( link attached ) http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...d.php?t=176601
In reading some of the information in that thread, I think I am well advised to pause and take some time to sit down with my insurers and seek out legal advise on how I can continue to be involved and protect myself.
I think most understand my love for this sport and willingness so far, to share that with others. I have enjoyed immensely meeting so many new friends that I would never have met, had it not been for FMO.

Perhaps Ft Myers Offshore is at a crossroads where we have grown to the point where we should become an incorporated boat club with officers and directors and insurance to cover them ? This will require a membership fee, which so far we have been able to avoid.

As we operate now without a club structure, there are no rules as such to help put on safe events. All of my Poker Run experience from the past, with PRA and FPC and others have required use of life jackets, safety tethers hooked up, no alcohol until the run is finished etc.

Or should we go the other way where we give up on major organized events and just use this forum for small, informal get togethers on and off the water ?

Right now I seem to have more questions than answers.

Feel free to express your opinions and together we can determine the direction that FMO should be taking.

Also if anyone would like to come forward and assume a leadership roll and fill the void, they will have my full support.

Bob Barnhart
Old 01-09-2008, 11:57 AM
Registered

Received 84 Likes on 32 Posts

Hi Bob-

I was wondering when this was going to happen. Aarron and I were having this conversation on Sunday. We couldn't come up with a good solution either......

I would llike to take this opportunity to thank you for all that you have done for FMO. I have meet alot of amazing people here in Fort Myers that I would have never met without participating on these runs that you organized.

If I can help in anyway please let me know.

Don Gardner
Old 01-09-2008, 12:40 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Maritime_Eng
Hi Bob-

I was wondering when this was going to happen. Aarron and I were having this conversation on Sunday. We couldn't come up with a good solution either......

I would llike to take this opportunity to thank you for all that you have done for FMO. I have meet alot of amazing people here in Fort Myers that I would have never met without participating on these runs that you organized.

If I can help in anyway please let me know.

Don Gardner
Don, this is not the end of the line by any means. I have received a couple of phone calls already where a possible solution will be looked at. We will get this fixed I am sure.
Bob
Old 01-09-2008, 12:46 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bob,

I, Like Don was also wondering if/when this was going to happen, and would like to thank you for taking charge up to this point, you have done an awesome job. I couldnt believe the hardware and the amount of people that were on the Thanksgiving weekend run. I dont think we have much choice of either becoming organized, or not doing organized runs. We can call it an unorganized meet all we want, but as soon as we post, and start asking head counts etc. it can be seen as an organized event. My vote is to stay informal for now, at least for me since I am not really local, announce a meeting spot, and make it known that everyone is on their own from there. Of course if the majority decides to make it an organized club with dues etc. you can still count me in.

Rick
Old 01-09-2008, 01:04 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 136 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder
Don, this is not the end of the line by any means. I have received a couple of phone calls already where a possible solution will be looked at. We will get this fixed I am sure.
Bob
Old 01-09-2008, 01:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I Had A Similar Situation Up North Where We Used To Run Our Prepared Cars On A Private Track. The Owner Of The Track Ended Up Having A Waiver Drawn Up To Protect Himself And Others If The Ugly Happened. We All Basically Were Assuming All Responsibilites For Our Own Actions. There Were No Formal Invitations To Events And It Was More Or Less A "meeting" Of A Group For Soem Fun. It Always Seams That Once Events Are To Formalized And Overly Structured The Fun Of It All Is Lost. I Hope Not The Case. I Was Looking Forward To Meeting Up With The Group And Having A Good Time. I'm Sure You Guys Aren't Finished Just Yet! Look Forward To Safe Boating In 2008.
Old 01-09-2008, 02:12 PM
Registered

When all this started it was Bob, myself and couple other guys going out for a grouper sandwich. Non of us had a clue that eventually it would attract as many participants as we have today. Sometime around last February's benefit the area's number of boaters with offshore interests was obvious and overwhelming. People looking to learn the waters, new places to go, friends and a pleasant afternoon of boating.

The liability that Bob mentioned is a concern. Other issues that are not so glaring but still exists is the time it takes to organize for that many boats and people, the commitments for a large group at restaurants, marinas etc. I was relieved for Bob and our group when so many people drove to Marco for lunch New Years Day even though the weather blew us off the water. Many may not know this but Guy Harvey's is usually closed until 4pm NYD. They opened and had a staff there just for us.

Over time we had several informal discussions and decided the group should stay informal from the start. That is where the term "Fun Run" was coined instead of poker run. However, even this web site may be conclusive enough that we would be considered an organized group.

We have one of the greatest boating areas in the world. Everybody to this point has been considerate and respectful of their fellow boaters and equipment. Hopefully this can be worked out. There is still nothing wrong with a few guys boating somewhere together for lunch. I will be listening and waiting like the rest of you for the results of Bob's research.

Last edited by The Menace; 01-09-2008 at 03:31 PM.
Old 01-09-2008, 02:15 PM
Registered

Received 159 Likes on 71 Posts

I like the idea of a waiver..... Even if it becomes organized and dues are collected, count us in. We have only really been on one fun run (thanksgiving) we were at the new years but only ran with Bob due to the weather. These events are too fun though so dues wouldnt be a problem
Old 01-09-2008, 02:57 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bob, as you know, I have been there, done that with the performance boat club of canada. As a director and VP for years, it just became too overwhelming of a chance for something bad to happen and the directors liability insurance coverage we could get was overpriced and would have basically left myself,Anthony and the other directors hung out to dry in the event of a major law suit. The onl;y real option we had left was individual "event insurance" which came with a fairly hefty premium of around 5 to 6 K per day. Those numbers were not welcomed by the membership at large because of the cost added to each event entry fee. No proper coverage, no club events. Period. Although I don't have milions to lose, I wasn't about to risk what I have for the sake of organized boating events. Thats the number one reason the President and myself descided to call it quits after 17 seasons. Yes, it sucks but in a world of hungry litigation lawyers and leftist judges making rediculous damage awards, what are ya going to do.
Old 01-09-2008, 03:37 PM
Registered

Bob:

As we discussed, I had similar concerns after organizing the Thanksgiving weekend run with Aaron. Fortunately, we have not had any mishaps. As we discussed last evening, I agree with the course of action you propose in this thread.

I will continue to work on this problem with you as I have enjoyed meeting new friends and getting rides on some awesome machines while my boat has been under contract (yes, there is money!).

I look forward to being able to do a lunch run without legal counsel.

Tom

Quick Reply: Important message to all my FMO friends. Please read.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.