Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Ft Myers Offshore (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/ft-myers-offshore-186/)
-   -   Naples rejects big plans for downtown cabana bar. (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/ft-myers-offshore/194138-naples-rejects-big-plans-downtown-cabana-bar.html)

cbeastwood 08-28-2008 08:13 AM

Naples rejects big plans for downtown cabana bar.

By JENNA BUZZACCO
5:51 p.m., Wednesday, August 27, 2008

NAPLES — The little cabana bar at Bayfront in Naples will have to stay small for now.

A city of Naples advisory board on Wednesday voted down a final design for renovations at Shane’s Cabana Bar. The Design Review Board’s 3-1 decision means that architects need to return to the drawing board if they want to upgrade the waterfront bar.

Board members cited the size of the building and security as reasons why they denied the request.

“I don’t know what the options are, but I think it is still too large for the context of the kind of activities you want,” said Madelin Bunster, the board’s vice chairwoman. “I don’t think it’s appropriate, the size of this. I think it takes up the limited waterfront space.”

Developers had hoped to tear down the one-story, 1,000-square-foot chickee and replace it with a two-story open-air building with bathrooms on both floors and totaling about 3,600 square feet.

The city’s planning department recommended approval, as long as architects considered relocating a dock walkway and provided details of security system.

“The docks are still proposed to be accessed via a walkway in the bar,” city planner Adam Benigni wrote in his report. “Staff would prefer that the location be revised due to potential issues with bar patrons blocking the entrance to the dock.”

The Design Review Board originally approved a similar design in January, but decided to continue the item when it came before them for final approval in May. The architect made the requested changes, and returned before the board Wednesday for final approval.

Both Naples City Council and the city’s planning board approved requests from developers last year to renovate the building. Council’s decision was contingent on developers adhering to a height restriction, installing bathrooms on both floors, no seating on the promenade and a requirement to keep alcohol inside the bar structure.

Council at the time received five letters opposing the bar’s expansion. Benigni said Wednesday his department received 12 e-mails in favor of the project, and 20 e-mails against the project.

Benigni told the board that anyone can appeal the decision within 15 days of a board decision.

jswfl09 08-29-2008 10:01 PM

Stupid old fools running Naples continue to amaze me. I'm sure if a shuffleboard court, an early bird all-you-can-eat buffet and some BINGO were thrown in they might have given the OK on the permit.

ARRRRGHHHHHHHHHH.

jayboat 09-03-2008 07:03 AM

That's funny, Jim! and true.:drink: