Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Boat Club Forums > Ft Myers Offshore
Just Got Offered  A Home In LeHigh Acres For 20k , Is This Area  Bad ? >

Just Got Offered A Home In LeHigh Acres For 20k , Is This Area Bad ?

Notices

Just Got Offered A Home In LeHigh Acres For 20k , Is This Area Bad ?

Old 01-31-2011, 08:47 AM
Registered

Received 84 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by KEVLARKAT32
Thanks for info . Heard Cape has tough zoning laws on keeping boat and trailer in yard ? Any idea if you have a larger property if you can erect a pole barn
They can be tough here but it is not too bad. I keep my boat at my house. I built a 6ft fench around the yard and when I shut the gates you can't see it from the street.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:51 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where did you move from 7 years ago ? Is it all salt water in that area including that river below you ?
Old 01-31-2011, 08:58 AM
Registered

Where did you move from 7 years ago ? Is it all salt water in that area including that river below you ?
I'm from St. Paul, Minnesota. Got sick of the cold weather so I moved down. The river is brackish but if you are east of High Way 75 (inland) then it turns into fresh water. Salt water boating is not that bad as long as you wash your boat off well after ech use.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:12 AM
Registered

I live in NJ and the winters are brutal . Is there anything to do on that river as far as Rest/bars ? Two more Q , avg temp in summer and when are the bugs bad ?

Larry
Old 01-31-2011, 09:39 AM
Registered

I live in NJ and the winters are brutal . Is there anything to do on that river as far as Rest/bars ? Two more Q , avg temp in summer and when are the bugs bad ?

Larry
The river by cape coral there are many places to go by boat and have a drink and something to eat. East of the lock is more of a scenic boat ride with a few beach spots to pull up too.

Summer= Hot! Humid. Usually my wife and I will spend our summer days floating in front of Fort Myers Beach. The summer nights are really nice though. The bugs are not bad at all as long as you stay out of the mangroves and wooded areas.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:45 AM
Registered

Where on map are the locks ( near what hwy ) Also what does it cost to go through a lock ?
Old 01-31-2011, 09:50 AM
Registered

Where on map are the locks ( near what hwy ) Also what does it cost to go through a lock ?
The first lock is in Alva Florida. No cost to lock thru.

http://www.jacksmarine.net/caloosaha...river-info.pdf
Old 01-31-2011, 10:06 AM
Registered

Thanks for info !! Hot like 100 + or 90 ?
Old 01-31-2011, 10:13 AM
Registered

Thanks for info !! Hot like 100 + or 90 ?
90 to 95 and humid. It takes a full summer to get use to it. for me the first summer sucked becasue it was so hot, but now after a few summers I actually like the summers better than the winters. Now 70 degF seems cold....
Old 01-31-2011, 10:23 AM
Registered

Default Cape Coral

Cape's a nice play to live overall, in my opinion. With the vast majority of the city being residential, there is not much 'industry' here. I moved here in '79 from Pittsburgh when fam relocated. The old saying 'work in Ft. Myers, live in Cape Coral' remains true today. SouthEast & SouthWest Cape remain very popular considering these quadrants contain the majority of Gulf Access canals. Although the NW has some G/A canals, they're nothing like the South side. To highlight further:

SouthEast - the original part of town, beginning in the Yacht Club area and heading north up Del Prado Blvd as urban sprawl set in. Here you will find the 'older' homes (1960-80) mixed in the newer, larger stuff. All areas East of Del Prado Blvd and South of Midpoint bridge are sailboat access, unrestricted, and most have good water depths. West of Del Prado & north of Cape Coral Pkwy are more G/A canals, but you will have a bridge or 2 to go under on your way out to the river. City utilities installed decades ago (water & sewer).

SouthWest - sparsely developed until the early '90's, then it started taking off. Here you will find predominately newer, larger homes - most with the Mediterranean style. City utilities installed beginning in the early 2000's. EVERYTHING West of Chiquita Blvd, essentially 90% of the canals in SW, have to go thru the Chiquita boat lock. The lock can accomodate up to a 75' boat, or as many vessels that fit accordingly. Now here's where the juggling act starts w/ the SW: newer neighborhoods, bigger homes, but restricted boating thanks to the lock. I've had several neighbors in the SW share their boating storys about being out boating, notice a storm's coming, get to the lock only to wait several hours to get thru thanks to everyone else that lives in SW trying to get back.

NorthEast - NO G/A Canals at all, freshwater canals only which are landlocked and lead to nowhere. Basically, a drainage ditch that might hook into a little lake somewhere. Still, all canals are idle speed - so even Jet Ski's aren't going to have much fun. No city utilities yet, still well & septic.

NorthWest - predominately freshwater: everything EAST of Burnt Store Rd & North of Pine Island Rd is F/W. The canals WEST of Burnt Store Rd are Gulf Access, most have a bridge or 2 to go under, but some are Sailboat access. Here's the issue w/ NW: instead of another lock, the army corp of engineers installed a boat lift at the entrance to the G/A canal system that would accomodate UP TO a 25' boat. This was, apparantly, to help 'monitor' the water levels of those canals since the Freshwater systems spills into them via several weir's on the East side of Burnt Store Rd. About 3 yrs back, the lift was removed since the tidal waters eroded a channel around the boat lift rendering it obsolete. Now, as of the beginning of Jan., talk has resumed about re-installing the boat lift - which SUCKS for that G/A system since they have enjoyed no restriction the last 3 yrs. Tons of drama there, but if the government wants it back - it'll be going back, despite the residents fighting it. No city utilities, still well & septic.

Hope this info is somewhat helpful to you when looking into the Cape.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.